Toothless Pike???

gonfishn

Commander
I didn't know that Northern Pike shed their teeth once a year until today. When low oxygen levels occur or low temps these bad bears shed their old and are replaced new. They don't happen all at once but gradually over a period of time.<br /><br />I know sharks do but how many other fish shed as an annual ritual?<br /><br />You learn something new everyday.......

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Toothless Pike???

I didn't know that. Do walleye do that too?

gonfishn

Commander

Howdy Scoop-- I Actually found this information on Wisconsins Department of Natural Resources.<br /><br />Did you know that in your neck of the Woods that a few of your lakes have a Silver Pike which is very rare and found in only a few Areas? They are a solid silver or gray mutant but has same features as other Pike.<br /><br />Check your Bureau of Fisheries management sites under Northern Pike.....

NOSLEEP

Commander

There are some lakes in Canada as well<br />that have populations of silver pike <br />too. they look kind of cool :cool:

NOSLEEP

Commander

About the teeth shedding thing. I have heard<br />that too. But i wouldn't put any money on it.<br />I have a friend that is a taxidermist he has<br />mounted all of my fish. we catch them all year<br />long. warm water, cold water. he mounts them all seasons, hundreds of them. never any teeth missing,or loose. he<br />says it doesn't happen. I don't believe it does <br />either. But who would care :p <br /><br />Any-body heard of (or caught) a "Pickled tiger"<br />a muskie male/pike female cross.?

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If that is what is referred to as a Tiger Muskie, I have not, but one of the Brother-in-laws has. It was nice. I understand that they are sterile like a mule and they fight like crazy. I caught a clear Muskie. It was a beautiful fish. <br /><br />I have never heard of a silver pike. Looks like I should be checking out the WDNR site more closely.

gonfishn

Commander

I kinda snickered on that one to NoSleep and bet a twenty and told him he needed to go fishing. Info below was pulled from Wisconsin Fisheries. Should I pay him and I already know I need to go fishing.<br /><br />
Northern pike prefer shallow, cool water and are most abundant in shallow lakes with extensive weed beds. As lake waters warm during summer, northern pike often seek cooler waters near inlet streams or springs; in deep lakes, large northern pike can be found beating the heat in the cooler depths near the bottom. They aren't called it northern pike" for nothing: this species is most active in cold water, and northern pike are caught more easily in winter than in summer. The hardy northern pike tolerates low oxygen levels and is less often a victim of winterkill (low oxygen and/or low temperature) conditions than other game fish. northern pike shed all of their teeth at that time each year. Careful observation has shown that the teeth are not shed entirely at any one time; rather, worn-out or broken teeth are replaced as they are lost by new teeth, which grow alongside the old ones. With food supplies at a peak in August, the northern pike is generally well-fed and less inclined to bite; the fish also seek cooler, deeper waters in very hot weather and consequently are harder to reach. <br /><br />

NOSLEEP

Commander

Gonfishn<br />I guess it sure is possible ,so who would know <br />for sure! . Myself I usually take some things<br />i read with a grain of salt.There are hole books on strange things, like big foot and the lockness<br />monster, people swear they have seen them. :rolleyes: Maybe they commissioned one<br />of these biologists to follow a pike around for a<br />while to really get the story. :D

gonfishn

Commander

Had to look this one up myself NoSleep. Seems it has faint indication marking pattern on 1/3 of body. Geo. on this looks like they are found in Canada too. Ever heard of a Barred Muskie? Got something to do with Pores and markings.<br /><br />Going to research this some more. Only Gator Eyes I've caught are the two most popular species....<br /><br />Maybe JB could offer some input in this. How about it JB.

NOSLEEP

Commander

I tried to find some info on the barred muskie<br />nothing yet. However i did find info on the<br />silver pike, Quote: there is an unspotted,<br />rather silvery, natural variant of the northern<br />pike now called the "silver pike".This form was <br />in some places in the past,thought to be a<br />muskellunge.If male muskellunge were in short supply when the hatchery crews were taking spawn<br />of that species the sperm of one of the silver <br />pike was used to fertilize the eggs of the muskellunge, thereby unwittingly creating the hybrid tiger muskellunge. It is interesting that<br />before the hybrid was recognized as such it was<br />erroneously described in a sporting magazine by<br />an outdoors writer, from a lake in northwestern<br />Ontario, as a new species of muskellunge for which the author proposed the name "Esox amentus"<br /> - true tiger muskellunge.<br />author: E.J. Crossman Curator Emeritus of Ichthyyology and Herpetology at the Royal Ontario<br />Museum.

FLATHEAD

Commander

I am not sure but I think the tiger musky might be a cross between a chain pickeral and pure bred musky. At least that what the locals here believe it to be.<br /><br />--------Flathead

gonfishn

Commander

Boats been in hibernation since Dec. NoSleep. Next month I'll be getting the SS Pooter ready to go again.<br /><br />12/21/02 I posted "My SuperBowl Digs" on nothing to do with Boats. This is where I will be fishing this month except it won't be the Packers i'll be watching.<br /><br />Where are you at up North? Sounds like you do a little Muskie searching yourselve. Whatever she is crossed with FlahtHead she sure is a challenge to pursue.....

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry NoSleep, I have not been able to get to my computer for a while. I was writing a technical proposal for work and spent most of my holiday writing.<br /><br />Gonfishin is right. Most of the body is a silvery color with almost no markings. They are a beautiful fish. I caught mine in on Cliff lake near Perrault Falls.<br /><br />We stayed at the Gold Arrow camp. The camp has boats on 12 different lakes. You take your motor with you and drive to the lake you want to fish that day.(I would suggest having good ventilation. We weren't thinking one day and took the motor in the minivan. Big mistake). Three of us caught Muskies on that lake that trip. I also hooked another one, but not well enough to land it. The place was fairly cheap to stay at, had on ok fish cleaning house with a good freezer.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Gonfishn<br />Its been winter here for a while now.<br />No boating since end of October early <br />November. Was ice fishing first couple<br />of days in November. Then it warmed up, <br />boat all put away :mad: till ice out probably<br />some time in April. Last spring I could not <br />get onto my favorite lake until ice out <br />on June 1. No muskie around here, to far west<br />at the base of the rocky mountains. Lots of<br />big pike to chase :) ,in the Foot Hills,<br />and Prairies. I did fish for pike on the week<br />end, (saturday.) slow day not to much action<br /> :( , a couple of small pike ,largest 9#s.<br />Ice is only 11" thick usually at this time of<br />year its 18" to 24" thick. Spring is coming, days<br />are starting to get longer!!. I am sure we will<br />still get 25 to 30 below yet, it always does.<br />probably in February and March while every one else has spring weather.

gonfishn

Commander

Still trying to find out what the heck a Barred Muskie is. How about you Scoop or NoSleep? Was Hoping Jb would chime in but he must not find this interesting enough.

gonfishn

Commander

Found this. At least now I know what they look Like. Finding where to look for them is another matter......<br />
muskiechart.gif

NOSLEEP

Commander

Thats a good chart gonfishn !<br />Hello Scoop :) <br />JB. your not scared are ya. :p