Winner Center Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizzy

Seaman
Re: Winner Center Console

Ken... Hey on the poliglow... You get a kit with everything you need... You get a scrat pad and cleaner. Has to be the cleaner with the kit. It gets off all the wax, oxidation, anything and everything... It must look dall. rinse as you go also...Let dry for a good while. Then your ready. You get an applicator which you use to put it on... Overlap as you go... It tells you everythiong on the instructions.. Easy but takes a little time. Basically as you do one side and get to the end of the other, keep going around like 5-6 times... The first coat is a little trick and even if you miss aspot or so, you'll get it the next pass. Honestly guy, you'll be amazed how this stuff works and looks...No buffing or waxing.. This stuff is really nice to work with... 70's is the ideal temp. Also as I was going to say is as your doing it, every pass gets easier... Anyhow if you have dsl or broadband you can watch a video on there web site..Any questions ask me... Time? I'd say maybe 2-4 hours.. It's worth it...

gizzy

Seaman

Stu... Never heard of your new boat... what year? Question...? How much do our boats weigh? Any idea. NADA says 1100lbs... stripped. I know it's alot heavier than that. Also back to the NADA, I beleive they call these a tournament 2... Also does the leaning post you have get in the way of your console doors? And are they adjustable? I'm curious about those seats because the look really comfortable.

studlymandingo

Commander

Ken... I guess you haven't been able to paint your cowling yet. I am in Boston this weekend, and the weather is nasty!!! :eek: Can't wait for home! I was reading in the Globe how they are predicting some of the nastiest weather in decades for the marathon in the morning. Good Luck! My next visit up here will definitely be in the summertime.​

Stumedic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gizzy, The Lang is a real nice looking sportfisherman with a Downeast hull design. Beautiful in a head sea. Not sure of the weight but the boat feels heavy. The leaning post is really nice as you can stand and let your legs absorb the jolts instead of your butt. West Marine I believe sells leaning posts. I've also seen them used on Craigslist. Stu

gizzy

Seaman

Stu... I usually stand when were running along. There's no way we can sit when were flying along. Haven't been out lately. Tommorrow we're going out for a while. I'm bringing a 5 gallon gas can with me to run it out of gas hopefully. Still have no clue on how much fuel it holds yet. Were going out Pensacola pass to see what we can find. Here about that 1067lb Maco they caught in Destin... Record breaker possibly... Anyhow I re-wired my boat and put a few new gauges on. Also a new fishfinder. Going to check out how all does tomorrow... Keep it Wet...

studlymandingo

Commander

I found out when replacing my fuel tank that the aluminum tank I had onboard was not factory. I now have a poly-tank that is 55 gallons. My boat has a filler on both gunwales, one is blocked; it also had a switch that switched between 2 tanks. I don't know what was originally in the boat. Seems like Winner didn't build each boat exactly alike.

My boat now has a new tank, filler hose, fuel line, vent hose, and sending unit. Should be good to go in that department for quite a few years to come.:) I now know with complete certainty that I have a 55 gallon capacity!​

Stumedic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Studley, my boat too has a blocked off fuel fill on the starboard side. It also has a selector switch for switching tanks but that switch too goes to nowhere. I think that Winner couldn't make up their mind as my single poly tank is absolutely original. I do know that comparing my boat to other brands Winner didn't spare on the construction and hardware-top shelf. Probably why they went under. Stu

studlymandingo

Commander

My new poly tank is in, 55 gallons. Wasn't planning on spending the money at the time, but it is good to know that I won't have to worry about leaking fuel when I'm 25 miles out in the Gulf.

I'm waiting on a new jack plate with a 10" setback, after seeing the pics by Ken Barber, I just couldn't get the thought of having the motor set back away from the transom. I am hoping the setback will make the boat handle a little "longer" for the bigger waters!

boat540.jpg

Ken Barber

Seaman

All,

First run of the season yesterday went great! The 140 evinrude started up in the driveway on Friday with no problems. Out on the lake, a 20 knot wind and plenty of chop displayed the Winners winning ride to a friend and his 9 year old son. SOLID as a rock with no bounce - he said it rides better than his friends 2 foot fountain that cost 49K!

My boat now has all of the side decals and stripes take off except the Winner name, and looks so much better. Next I need to replace the rope in the rub rail. Has anyone done that chore? Looks easy enough to pull out old rope and hammer in a new one all the way around.

Unfortunately, only 55 degrees and cloudy in MA today, so probably just do a little waxing of the topsides.

Thanks

Ken

studlymandingo

Commander

Never tried to replace the rope in the rubrail. I did use a product that contains a mild boric acid solution, it killed all of the mold and mildew that had made a home in the rope, made it look tons better. I imagine that a replacement will someday be in order though, so post your results when you make the change!

I can hardly wait for my jack plate to arrive. It will set my motor off of the transom by 10". Hoping for a big improvement!​

maverick148

Recruit

Hey guys
I took my 86 winner out twice already. Found out very quickly that i am 1 underpowered with a 115 hp and it rides like a brick without trim tabs. I ordered trim tabs and are being shipped as i type. I do have one question does any one have any problem or had a problem with water collecting in the aft fish hold behind the bench seat or twin capt chairs?(depending on model) I was in two foot seas and catchin blues and had to go in because of about 15 gallons of water collectingin the hold. I'm hoping that a little rubber and a better seal around the lid of the holds will fix. Any advice is always welcomed. thanks all and best of luck this season.

studlymandingo

Commander

The tabs should help. If you have water in the hold, do you have water in the bilge also? If not, are you getting lots of water on deck?

Lots of extra water weight can also make a dog out of your rig; do you know the pitch of your prop?​

maverick148

Recruit

Studly
Yes the bilge did have a bit of water in it but that has been seeming the norm as long as its been sitting at the dock. With the sea conditions yesterday I was taking a bit of water onto the deck of the boat. Nothing that I thought would have filled the hold as it did (but we were pretty wrapped up in bluefish). All the plugs are in and the hold doesn't have water collecting when its at the dock. As for the pitch of the prop no i don't know it.

Ken Barber

Seaman

Maverick,

My 89 has a well in the aft port corner under a seat (see pics in previous post on this thread)) that needs a plug inside to keep out water as I believe it was designed to be a live baitwell, but there is no pump hardware or wiring in site. It has a tube to below the bilge that allows water in when running. I plugged it up with the same type plug I use in the fish well in the bow, which is also on the same fill when stopped/drain when running system.

I am a real new fisherman, and learning what all of these fish tanks are meant for is quite exciting.

Ken

studlymandingo

Commander

Hmm Maverick, that same hold in my boat has a drain that goes to the bilge. I have another hold just forward of that which is under my seat/cooler/leaning post; this hold does not have a drain, but does have a watertight hatch with a rubber gasket to keep out unwanted moisture.

Ken has the best setup I've seen on one of these boats, a full transom with a seadrive-type jack the motor is mounted on.... I'm jealous, but I did get my new jackplate in the other day, can't wait to install!:D

Stumedic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Maverick, my boat had thru hulls for all the compartments, and yes they fill with water. I didn't really like that setup so I close them off when I'm using them and I have a small rule pump that I use to pump them out when they get too full. When I'm docked I keep all the plugs out so all the compartments drain into the bilge. The pump takes care of them. Stu

maverick148

Recruit

Guys
Thanks for the feedback. I closed off the aft baitwell over the winter and the forward doesn't seem to be much of a problem so far. I am at the point that I am going to put a rubber gasket around the hatch covers to help slow down the water that comes in from the deck or rain. (like I have been battling this week)

studlymandingo

Commander

Here is a pic of my boat as she is now. I have added the jack plate, tabs, and the cowl on the outboard has been painted. There are other upgrades regarding electronics, but that's hard to see...​

jacked001.jpg

AllJackedUp.jpg

gizzy

Seaman

Question on your jack plates... What exactly will it do to a boat? I was wondering about them. I know they'll give you more room at the transom but what else does it improve?

studlymandingo

Commander

The jack plate places the outboard farther away from the transom in "cleaner" water that is less turbulent from the stern; it allows the motor to be raised higher up making it run more efficiently providing more speed. On my boat, it seems to make it handle "bigger" I was in some pretty big waters this afternoon in the Gulf; the wind kicked up and we were in some 6' seas. Even so I was able to maintain a 13-15 MPH course while planed out. It changes the angle of the outboard so I could tuck the lower unit further under the boat to plow through the surf really well.​

Status
Not open for further replies.