Should I get a motor scooter?

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Should I get a motor scooter?

Simple answer...<br /> How long ya been riding? If not, don't. They will kill ya just as fast as any motorcycle. In my 46th year in the saddle and own 6 bikes, and its the un-experienced that take a good tumble, and a lot never get up.

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Motorcycles have a structural backbone to make them rigid. That scooter has no backbone. All stress is in the floor which will twist and bend. In a few months the rear wheel will lean one way and the front wheel the other way. In the mean time it will wallow down the road. The frame is too soft.<br />Get the real thing!

waterinthefuel

Commander

CD, your comments have me concerned. This is something I will look further into.<br /><br />Scatty, I understand your concern, but I must ask, at one time you'd never ridden a bike either. I guess my point is everybody is an amateur (sp?) at some point in their life.<br /><br />Treedancer, my boat is big enough to get the job done! =)<br /><br />Gary, bugs only give you a protein boost, right? LOL<br /><br />Hammertime and Larry, appreciate the encouragement.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If thats one of those cheap cheap Chinese knock off scooters, forget it. They are junk, They fall apart. All glitz and glitter.<br />Can you go to a dealer locally and look at one - NO. <br /><br />If you are gonna get one, get a Yamaha or Honda, not a Wayongzi.<br /><br />And it is usually the driver of a car that kills the driver of a scooter.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

water...<br />Don't let Crusty's comments concern you - Vespa has been making scooters since the 1940's. Do you think they'd still be in business if... In a few months the rear wheel will lean one way and the front wheel the other way ? Or, would any of the other companies even get into this business if that was the case?<br /><br />Having said that, I see you're looking at a Big Chief Wasp . Personally, seeing that it's made in China, and carries only a 90-day warranty (only on parts, nonetheless!), I'd be looking elsewhere. I'd think for this price (or even less), you could pickup a decent used one. Chances are that it would be better made, easier to get repaired, and last you much longer.

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I see an old guy zipping up and down the road in front of my house a couple of times a day on a scooter. It looks to be an older model of some sort. I'm sure he's just going to get a loaf of bread or pay a bill or something. I think it's a good idea for what you want it for.<br /><br />Dave

waterinthefuel

Commander

Ed, I hear you loud and clear. Funny thing is, I believe that model is the only one with a 90 day warrenty, all the other ones have a 1 year warrenty. I called the company and the lady told me that they used to cover labor, but were being defrauded by mechanics who were charging for labor not performed. (Whether or not it's true only the good Lord knows, but I've heard about the same thing with warrenty work for other things, such as boats) She said we have a mechanic you can call toll free who can walk you through the parts changing process if you need it, or you can bring it somewhere. No, I'm not happy about that, but I am a bit mechanically inclined so learning how to work on these myself wouldn't be bad anyway. (Ok, am I just trying to justify a poor warrenty?)<br /><br />Believe me the Chinese thing bothers me, but the fact that parts are so cheap and readily available that I don't guess its a big deal. :confused: <br /><br />The sales guy did tell me that people have very few problems with them, that they are just normal wear and tear type things. :confused: <br /><br />I asked about the low price and the marketing manager told me that it was due to not paying for a name, and having low overhead costs and that yes, Yamaha and Honda were probably better bikes decades down the road, but you would pay twice as much (or more) for the bike. Uh, yea ok, that's a strange thing to say about your own companies product...but his honesty has to be commended. <br /><br />Oh yes, please please don't think I'm trying to argue with you guys. Every one of your concerns has been brought to the attention of someone at the company, and at the very least, I've made them answer to them. Whether or not they've been truthful, I don't know. I don't know if they would lie to sell a product. MSNBC (ok, for all you conservatives, I'm not referring to anything political here) had actually mentioned them in an article on their website regarding the increased sales of scooters with the increse in recent gas prices. Does it mean they are good quality? Nope. But...well I guess to me if MSNBC mentioned them they are at least worth mentioning? :confused: <br /><br />On reliability...I've learned hard that brand names don't mean anything. My uncle bought a BMW 325i brand new in 1993. It wasn't 6 months later he started having problems with it. He's had everything from the headlight covers peeling, to the speedometer peeling off to the seats turning black to plastic molding coming apart to the radio going out to the brake switch going out...all this on a car that stays covered, under a carport, and it has less than 15000 miles on it, it's used once or twice a week. He's actually recently made the decision to get rid of it. He's tired of fixing it every time he takes it out. <br /><br />My father has had several problems with his Yamaha 4 wheeler, which is babied and even at 12 years old, has less than 130 hours on it. It looks showroom new. My Honda goes every place his does, right behind him, the same exact amount of time on the bike, and my bike has had zero problems.<br /><br />I'm still very much up in the air about getting one. I am scared of Yamaha based on my fathers issues with his. Honda is overpriced, but is extremely reliable. Would I take this thing anywhere that its reliability would be a life or death case? Not a chance. I'm only paying 1500 bucks, I get what I pay for. If it proves too unreliable, I'd get rid of it. With the price of gas I could sell it for what I paid for it. <br /><br />I don't know what to do. I've got bigger fish to fry in my life right now anyway, I'm still scratching my head about this whole thing. All this because me and my father went to look at the "toys" at the local big boy toy store, and I fell in love with one of the scooters, until I found out it's price. That ended that. A quick search online found those people....we shall see I guess LOL<br /><br />PS--> Roscoe, do you or someone you know have personal experience with this brand of scooter? If so, please get me their contact information if possible. I think my profile displays my email address. Thanks!

aspeck

Staff member

WITF, my comments were in no way meant to discourage you from getting what you want - that is your choice. I have never personally ridden on a scooter, so I have no first hand experience. I do have some friends that HAD them, and after a couple years decided they didn't do enough. One sold it and that was that, the other 2 moved "up" to on/off road cycles. If I was looking at a first time on/off road bike I would probably look at something around 175cc.<br /><br />I have a 100cc (had it since I was 14 - 30 years now) and it just didn't have the snot to haul my fat butt 60mph down the road. It did fine as long as I kept it under 55mph. Over that, burn plugs. However, it was great to run trails - light enough to through around, easy to maneuver, etc.<br /><br />I stand by my original SUGGESTION. And that is all it is. There are some great looking scooters out there, and some that are good quality. But for $1500 you could get a nice on/off road bike and double your fun!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Please!!! I work at a major dealership Honda, suzuki, kawasaki, BRP, and Arctic Cat..... Stay away (FAR AWAY) from the chinese junk. There are no parts (none nada) available and 99% of the mechanics will not touch them. If you were considering a toy that would never be on the road then go ahead and trash one.... but your life is on the line.<br /><br />Buy a small used motorcycle either a dual purpose or a regular street bike. Your mileage expectations will be met. A brand new Kawi 125 street bike is less than $2400 and it will do traffic. Low end 250 Suzuki about $3k.<br /><br />The major dealers have the support, parts, mechanics and even financing. I know they are more $$ but you do get what you pay for.<br /><br />I echo Aspeck's comments:
I stand by my original SUGGESTION. And that is all it is. There are some great looking scooters out there, and some that are good quality. But for $1500 you could get a nice on/off road bike and double your fun!<br /><br />
Bob

waterinthefuel

Commander

Bob, you are right. Look what I can get for about 500-700 more brand new.<br /><br />Not at all in my original plans to get a full fledge bike, but at least its a small cheap one. Oh well.<br /><br />
2272_800.jpg

Bob_VT

Staff member

Weekly we have customers that come in looking for parts or service on the junk stuff. When we tell customers we can not help them .... they are not impressed. I am a believer in the big company proven designs.... and sell parts for the older big name bikes daily.<br /><br />You will also discover that most big dealerships have a Year cut off. They will not work on the real old stuff (even the big name motorcycles) unless it has been a customers annual ritual. Many times people will find an older (1970-1990) bike that has been sitting in storage.... can we inspect it? Well lack of use and poor storage usually creates dry rot and weather cracking of gaskets and rubber items.<br /><br />I think it is a great idea to get a late model and enjoy the heck out of it!

aspeck

Staff member

Bob, by the way, got my KZ1R 1000 working today - thanks for the help with the parts!.

WITF, good luck with your new toy! Have fun!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I an concerned. The biggest age group getting killed is the Boomers jumping back on bikes after many years.. Me? Started building Mini's in the 50's at 10. LOTS of dirtbike and racing in my life. Just take a good riders course at least.. Its a damn madhouse on the roads nowadays...scares the s#$t out of me daily, and thats after 46 years, and I LIVE RURAL TO BOOT!

a
waterinthefuel said:
CD, your comments have me concerned. This is something I will look further into.<br /><br />Scatty, I understand your concern, but I must ask, at one time you'd never ridden a bike either. I guess my point is everybody is an amateur (sp?) at some point in their life.<br /><br />Treedancer, my boat is big enough to get the job done! =)<br /><br />Gary, bugs only give you a protein boost, right? LOL<br /><br />Hammertime and Larry, appreciate the encouragement.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Tell me if I'm on the right track. I plan on taking a rider course, at first only riding it in the neighborhood (to get completely comfy with shifting, etc) and only riding at low traffic times until I'm more comfy with it. It's a madhouse out there, but thats true in a small vehicle too, like I own.

It will be a while now since I found out my company is going out of business and being taken over. Until I know I will be hired by the new company all purchases are on hold.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Biggest issue to me is size,and a Harley ain't all that much bigger than a Vespa (I'm ducking).

Drivers see Semi's,Buses, and sometimes Cars.

They just don't seem to see two wheelers,and just pull right out in front of them.And you don't have much protection except for skin.

DHP

Bob_VT

Staff member

Waterinfuel go ahead .... buy what you want. See your other post.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

I just picked this up from a co-worker...

1979 Honda GL1000...first tank of gas averaged 57 mpg...sure beats the 12 mpg the Ram 1500 is getting me!
If the 1000cc can get 57 mpg...you should be able to pick up a 250-500cc for cheap money and get 60+mpg

100_1685s.JPG

-JMW

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Can anybody see the picture in my previous post?

Ever since new forums...the preview shows me the picture..but when I post I just get the red X...but I see everybody elses picture...soooo...just checking...sorry for off topic question.

-JMW

waterinthefuel

Commander

Yes, I agree. I have ruled out Chinese scooters, they are pretty, but that's it. I need something reliable.

Someone suggested Kymco, a brand of Taiwan. Said it was a good quality scooter for less money than Honda or Yamaha.

http://www.kymco.com/us/showroom/scooter/scooterList.asp

Oh, no, all I see is a box for the photo on your previous post, not a photo.

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

You seem to be wanting to get out of it cheaply. It'll bite you in this arena. Buy a used name brand that you can afford.
Pay it now or pay it later!