Any other pilots in here?

waterinthefuel

Commander
I love to fly but our FBO had a student crash a plane with no insurance, so no more rentals. I miss flying and would love to talk about it with any aviation lovers or pilots in here.

Trent

Captain
Re: Any other pilots in here?

Man I hate it when that happens. Hope the student is ok. My bet is the FBO will try to get the student to pay for the plane. He should have had rental insurance. AOPA sell it and its not too bad price wise. What did he crash? Cessna?

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Delta Alpha Victor Echo is with you at 3000' with information Tango, requesting straight in approach to talk about anything flying. ;)

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Oh..and is the student OK?<br />Airplanes can be replaced.<br />No more rentals? Did they only have the 1 aircraft?<br />There must be other airfields around with rentals.

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's hard to imagine an FBO giving instruction without having insurance.<br /><br />Cant afford it recently. I was getting instrument instruction but sort of slowed down. <br /><br />BFR and medical come due this year so Im sure that will get me going again.<br /><br />You might check out studentpilot.com, they have a pretty active and friendly forum. Also dfwpilots.org, I realize you are in Louisiana but hey thats not far.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm not a pilot..but I wish I had the time and money to become one....<br /><br />Guy on small lake down the street uses the lake as his runway and ties it up at his dock every summer. Now that is the life!<br /><br />Eggkr8 and I had to do some quick paddling on a few occassions to get the canoe out of his way when he was coming in for a landing...Egg claims that he scared all the fish away - thats why he never catches anything :) <br /><br />-JMW

KRS

Banned

I pilot a plane in my dreams, and I pilot a boat on the weekends :)

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you say crash I think of the plane smacking the ground at 90 degrees. Anyway sounds like its time to buy or build a plane. If money is the question every thought about going in partnership with several other guys on the field. Most FBO's don't have insurance on the plane when your flying it, thats why you normally get rental insurance. Also like mentioned before AOPA is a pilots friend. Was there an instructor in the plane, what type of plane?

waterinthefuel

Commander

The FBO had insurance, but the student pilot didn't. The insurance company raised the rates so high that it darn near doubled the cost of renting. They had 4 planes, 3 C-172's and a 152. They now have everything for sale. The only other airport renting nearby is in a town about 20 miles north of here, and it's like 65 an hour for a 150. Way overpriced.<br /><br />It was a Cessna 172, N46507. For some reason the accident never made it to the NTSB archives. Someone told me the student (no instructor) just didn't flare and drove it into the runway. He walked away, the plane is totaled.<br /><br />I'm looking into building my own plane down the road. I'm looking at several different models: the Rans S-6 Coyote S, the Rand Robinson KR-2S, the midget Mustang and Mustang 2. They are all about 10-15k to get the kit, another 6-20k for the engine. I have to decide whether I want a single or 2 place plane, if I can't find anybody willing to get in it with me I'll get the midget Mustang since it's a single, almost 10g's less to get airborne and is capable of cruise over 200mph.

DTS1290

Seaman Apprentice

Ever consider an old 152 or a taildragger instead? In the end you might be paying close to the same and you get your two seats.<br /><br />Oh yeah with the NTSB it probably got classified an incident and not an accident, some funky rules apply to what qualifies for an accident (# of days in hospital, whether or not any bones were broke, damage costs, stuff like that, cant seem to remember them all).

waterinthefuel

Commander

DTS,<br /><br />I've strongly considered a 152. I talked to someone who owns one, and he said the annual inspections and 50/100 hour inspections get old fast. Not to mention hangar rent (every plane I'm looking at has folding wings, to be stored in your home garage) can cost thousands a year. He said the fixed costs alone of a 152 can add up to numbers that make even the diehard aviation enthusiast second guess his decision.<br /><br />Everybody looks at the initial cost of obtaining an airplane. You have to look further down the road, that's where the experiemental plane shines.<br /><br />As for as the NTSB goes, I've seen accidents not nearly as bad as this one make it into the reports. I believe it just wasn't reported. A guy at my local airport owns a 210 and was flying it (wasn't certified to fly it alone) and ignored the gear warning horn. He gear uped that thing right in front of our facility. The damage was 60000 dollars. It never made it to the NTSB either. I promise that's enough damage to qualify!! LOL<br /><br />The websites of the planes I'm looking at:<br /><br /> http://www.greatplainsas.com/kr2.html <br /> http://mustangaero.com/ <br /> http://www.rans.com/S-6SNew.htm <br /> http://www.rans.com/s-12xl.htm

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I flew a mustang that was not mine, had a buick v6 in it. I didn't like it, just didn't like the feel. I also flown the Airaile, it was ok. If I remember right was over a 100mph on a couple of gallons an hour. If i was to build and I'm starting to think about it its either a rv-8 or glastar. Read that you can go to there facility and in 2 weeks can nock one out(glastar). When you get a plane that goes 200, you'll want a plane that does 250, then 300, its a disease.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've been checked off in 5 types of aircraft but haven't been current in over 15 years.<br /><br />Piper J3 Cub - Soloed<br />Piper Colt<br />Piper Tripacer<br />Cessna 150<br />Cessna 172<br /><br />I loved to fly the J3 Cub most since it was so fun to get in the air with the windows pinned to the wing. It was also very forgiving which made side slipping look so easy.<br /><br />At the time I learned rentals were going for about $40-$50 per hr. - wet. I'm surprised with today's fuel prices the going rate is only up to $65/hr.<br /><br />I almost had a sales job after college with an aircraft instrument company but didn't have the instrument rating which they required.<br /><br />My dad flies RC airplanes and has a whole room full of several different kinds and sizes. I actually think they are harder to fly than the real thing since you are unable to personally experience the attitude of the aircraft.

KRS

Banned

Husky, made in Idaho, an excellent machine.

waterinthefuel

Commander

KRS, the Husky is a good plane, but way out of the price range. Rans had decided to discontinue the Airraile but restarted production do to popular demand (I personally emailed them a month ago saying I wasn't going to purchase a plane from them since they discontinued the one I wanted) so I'm looking at it again. Those 2 stroke Rotaxs are finicky.<br /><br />Pakev, if you've been checked out in a 172, then you are automatically checked out in a 152 and 150.<br /><br />I also fly RC planes, I was an instructor briefly. I just haven't had much desire to get back into it since the field is so far away and the people there are total a$$holes.

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

Hey waterinthefuel<br /><br />Are you a member of EAA? That is the Experimental Aircraft Association based in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. They have clubs all over the world. It should be easy to find one close to your home if you are not a memeber. Check out their web site. Just do a EAA search.<br /><br />Also, being a member will get you much help in your building project. You will learn the right way to do everything from avionics, sheet metal, and engines. There are also many fly-ins to attend all over the United States. <br /><br />Your $65 per hour wet is about right. Throw in an instructor and you can wipe out a hundred! In the early 70s it was around $25. ;)

michael-lagrange

Petty Officer 1st Class

love to fly, have 200hrs (as guest) in a 172,<br />have 1000s of hrs. on sims. too rich for me tho.<br />if you wanna check out a cool sim site, go to aces high, its head to head combat flying ww2 aircraft. you can shoot others down or be shot down or boom the city. its realistic, exciting<br />and team play. must have vidio card and high speed connection. best of all they offer a free play arena. great sim fun, any questions on it e mail me at mikendawnwhite@aol.com<br /> my RC experiance lasted $55o.00 for 2 min.<br />you should have seen the look on my wifes face when i slammmmmed that teliphone pole. priceless.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I got my PPL in 1962 in a Champion 7FC Tri Traveler. That is a 90 hp tricycle version of the tail dragger. I haven't logged any time though in the past 40 years. I have managed to get some unlogged time in:<br /><br />H13 (like MASH)<br />H23 (like MASH)<br />UH-1B (think Viet Nam)<br />T-33 (USAF single engine jet trainer)<br />Hot Air Balloon<br />Glider<br />Ultra Light<br />Cessnas & Pipers<br /><br />I am planning to go up next week in a C-172 with a friend of mine. He is a WWII P-38 and P-51 fighter pilot who still flies. He flew over Normandy at D-Day and over France in 1944-45. He flew commercial aircraft after the war until they booted him out of driving PanAm 747s at age 60. He is now 83, does not wear glasses and is mentally sharp as a tack. He carries a bible with him where ever he goes. In the Bible he keeps a list of the guys he trained and flew with in WWII who did not make it home. Every now and again he will tell about one of them and how he bought it.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Hey Ztim. I am a member of the EAA. I've asked for help and they pointed me to their website. It has an overwhelming amount of information about how to build an airplane. The closest chapter to my home is over an hour away.