Am I the only one who makes my family wear life vests?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I have noticed that me and my family are the only (or one of a few) boaters that wear life vests on the water. In fact, I make everyone put theirs on while they are still on the doc because it is so much easier there than on the water.<br /><br />I often feel the stares of the un-vested. Feel like a freak show.<br /><br />But, I have to admit, I am a scardie cat and would rather be safe than sorry. <br /><br />Granted we have a small boat and little kids. Maybe I will feel different after a few years of boating.<br /><br />Mark.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Am I the only one who makes my family wear life vests?

In GA, the law is all kids 12 and under must wear life jacket at all times. So our little one does as soon as we step out of the vehicle at the lake. My wife and I do not when we are all out. By myself is a different story.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No, Mark. You aren't.<br /><br />Everyone on my boat wears a PFD anytime the boat moves.

jajeeper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I always have my family vested when we are using the outboard. When we stop for fishing or fun...only those that can't swim very well have to keep them on (my 4 year old). Just as you have noticed, most others I see don't have them on.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Keep your chin up Mark, wearing your vests is the smartest, safest, responsible thing to do for your family, and it sets a good example for the younguns. Accidents happen all the time as there is no shortage of inexperienced (i.e. Crazy, Stupid, Drunk) boaters out there and they will seek you out even if you're the doing everything right. You have to protect yourself. Good for you! :)

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

Mark,<br />You are doing the right thing.<br />I sometimes don't wear one myself when the boat is stopped but my wife and 2 kids do. My wife does not swim very well and it is the law that all children under 12 wear one in CA. My 3 year old son likes his so much that he wears it around the house! He wears it in the pool on the trampoline what ever. I have found that the really comfortable one made of neoprene are best, after jumping in the water for the first time to cool off my vest is usually on for the rest of the day. <br />Just keep being safe! The people that gawk at you now are the ones the boat police will find floating face down later. I know that sounds kind of cold but I would rather my family be safe and alive than styling and dead!

seamegr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My wife and I bought Mustang inflatables and wear them all the time. Once you get used to them you don't notice them. Adult guests have the option, the kids do not.<br />I was once asked, "Why are you wearing that? Don't you swim?" Peoples attitudes need changing. <br /><br />Greg

DustyJacket

Seaman

On our 18-footer, we wear vests at all times. (my rule) We wear ski vests.<br /><br />I want to investigate some SOSpenders for me in hot weather, though.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

All children and any adult who can't swim wear PFD's all the time. When the weather kicks up, we all put them on. 17' Deep-V Center Console.

ZmOz

Captain

I wear a CO2 inflatible vest...when it's uninflated it's like there is nothing there. If I need it, just pull on the handle and it inflates in a second. It has kept me from drowning while rafting down the Deschutes...(I can't swim)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and support. <br /><br />Mark.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

PFD's have come a long way in the past 10 yrs so you don't have to look like you are in traction from some kind of trauma.<br /><br /><br /> Here in PA PFD's are also required to be worn by anyone under 12 yrs. old. I have 3 young daughters and to maintain their interest we brought them to the store and let them pick out their own life jackets which they love to wear while also conveying their favorite cartoon characters graphic styling (Barbie, Scooby Doo, & The little Mermaid.)<br /><br />I fish a few tournaments each year and their liability insurance requires all participants to wear PFD's whenever the outboard is powered. Non compliance can disqualify your catch which can end up costing you money. I personally have a PFD that serves double duty as a fishing vest so it doesn't look so much out of place to the gawkers that you are referring to.<br /><br />Kevin

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wear mine whenever under way. I don't care what people think or say. Accidents happen. I may take it off when fishing or anchored and not always then. When I see other people wearing vests, my mental stock of them goes up a notch or two. Too many opportunitys for disaster. Children should have NO option.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I changed my routine a few months back and got some rip-cord inflatables on sale. So I've got one on at all times now. Before I'd only worn them in rough conditions and they rarely came off the seat backs but were always on the seat backs when I was out.

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

My kids put them on before they get in the boat at all times. My wife and I usually don't wear them but will put them on if weather kicks up and we are off the coast. As far as guests are concerned, I always make a point of showing them where the jackets are prior to leaving the dock.

brother chris

Commander

I don't wear them onboard, but I do have them within reach for every person onboard. <br />Children under 12 or so, I make them wear one or they do not come on my boat. <br />Every person who comes on my boat, I inform them of every first aid supply, how to start/drive the boat, use the GPS, bilge pump etc...<br />I make them listen to me or they do not come on my boat. <br />You, the boat owner are responsible for every person on your vessel. It is better to have them informed for safety reasons.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

We wear them all the time. You never know!

18rabbit

Captain

............................Child Adult<br /><br />*Tiny Boat................Yes.....No<br />Adverse condition.......n/a....n/a<br />*Medium Boat............Yes....Yes<br />Adverse condition.......Yes....Yes<br />*Big Boat...................No.....No<br />Adverse condition.......Yes.....No

Rain

Cadet

Mark,<br /><br /> THANK YOU for having your family wear their PFDs! <br /><br /> I have been in the Coast Guard for 22 years and recently joined the Auxilliary as well. My son and I always wear our PFDs - we do it not because I'm in the Coast Guard... not because for him it's the Law... we do it because it's SMART and because I love him. <br /><br /> Thankfully (because I've worked mainly Aids to Navigation rather than Search and Rescue) I've only had to pull one "floater" out of the water, and I hope I never have to do it again. <br /><br /> Thank you for being a great role model to your family and for keeping them safe. You are a hero in my book!<br /><br /> Rain

ndemge

Commander

I usually don't wear it when in the boat. It is always hanging on my seat. Conditions declare if I wear.<br /><br />The little Worm Wripper will be 5 in sept.<br />The sencond we get out of the car, his vest goes on, and doesn't come off until we are back in the car.<br /><br />Same for him, getting ready at home, he's got it on, when it was time to get in the car, he's ticked off because we make him take it off so he can fit in his car seat.