Nissan 40 hp & 5 hp

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Manuals for these motors suggest replacing water pump impellers annually as preventive maintenance. I have been running outboards for fifty years and only once had to replace an impeller. I run them in clean salt water and flush them out thoroughly after every use. What are your thoughts/experiences?

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Nissan 40 hp & 5 hp

they are made of rubber. the rubber degrades with time. replace them or replace your motor. you choose

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Impellers should be replaced every couple of years....It's like changing the oil in your car. You can skip an oil change too, but should you?

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

No one in my immediate ara works on Nissans (if I had known, I wouldn't have bought them.) Is replacing an impeller a do-it-yourself project? How do you go about it? Are generic impellers available?

John_S

Rear Admiral

Art,<br /><br />Surprised you can't find someone that will work on them. Give Elvin a call, he has good prices on water pumps. Get the Clymer's manual on Nissan or Tohatsu, about $25. I did my 18E this fall, very easy.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Art,you must have had very good luck,or swapped motors often in those 50 years. (GRIN) Actually there are people who never do pumps,or even winterize,and it works for them year after year.Go figure.<br /><br />What I tell my customers is every 2nd or 3rd year.Salt water/bass tournaments every year.That way the parts come apart with minimum labor,and the pump doesn't quit 4th of July,when no one has time to repair it for you.<br /><br />I've only been doing boat motors for 30 years,but I have comdemned about 15 motors simply because they would not come apart.(drive shaft stuck in crankshaft)<br /><br />DHP

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been through http://www.tohatsu.com/dealersearch/index.html <br />and Nissan dealer list, too, - they are the same. The local one listed doesn't work on Nissan anymore. Another one within 30 miles said that they don't like to work on them anymore but would if I couldn't find anyone else (would you want them to work on your motor?) Another did tune up my 40hp for $$$ but forgot to securely reattach the gearshift linkage with the result that I hit the dock at 10 mph when it wouldn't shift out of gear or into reverse! There is another about 30 mi. away that I will check on tomorrow. I'm not much of a mechanic so I figure that I may just have to run my '99 Nissans until they quit and then buy something else.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The five is the same thing as a Mercury. You can do it yourself. It' only four bolts and the shift rod holding the engine lower unit on. Then the waterpump is right on top. If you get in a jam feel free to give us a call or you can call Nissan at 972-323-6003 and they will advise you as well.

bertschb

Seaman Apprentice

Art-<br /><br />I live in Salem and I'm in the same "boat" having just bought a used Zodiac with 50HP Tohatsu. <br /><br />I spoke with Mark at Mark's Merc's here in Salem and he said he would work on my Tohatsu (same as Nissan). I ordered a water pump kit from Inflatable Boat Center in Portland (before I found this web site). As soon as it gets here I'm going to have Mark replace the water pump impeller and repair a bent prop shaft. <br /><br />Mark didn't seem to have any problem with working on my motor. He said he get could parts if he needed to. I guess he's been doing outboard engine repairs for 30 years and I've heard he's a nice guy.

bertschb

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by INTERNETOUTBOARDS:<br /> The five is the same thing as a Mercury. You can do it yourself.
Is the 50HP Tohatsu just as easy (4 bolts and the shift rod)? Also, how do you unhook the shift rod? Is that easy to figure out by looking at it?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The 50 works the same( either 4 or 6 bolts, depending on the model) and disconnect the shift rod. If you look just above the lower unit, you will see a shift rod coupler with two roll pins going through it. Knock out one of the pins and the lower unit will drop.

bertschb

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Elvin<br /><br />I just ordered the shop manual from you so maybe I'll try the impeller myself.<br /><br />BTW, using the shop manual for instructions, is it fairly easy for a DIY'er to remove the prop shaft? I think I read somewhere about needing to press gears or bearings on or off. That would be beyond my capabilities.<br /><br />One final thing if I may-<br />This outboard sat for a couple years. I topped off the oil reservoir before I read in the manual that you aren't supposed to mix oils. Should I drain the oil reservoir and re-fill with fresh oil?<br /><br />Thanks again!<br />Brian

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The prop shaft will come right out once you remove the bearing carrier. Its not a good idea to mix oils. Even though oils may have the same rating they can react with each other and you may wind up with oil jelling. I would start from scratch.

bertschb

Seaman Apprentice

...and the bearing carrier is easy to remove without special tools, right???

bertschb

Seaman Apprentice

Bea-u-ti-ful! Thanks Elvin. You have no idea how much your input is appreciated by folks like "us".

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by bertschb:<br /> Art-<br /><br />I live in Salem and I'm in the same "boat" having just bought a used Zodiac with 50HP Tohatsu. <br /><br />I spoke with Mark at Mark's Merc's here in Salem and he said he would work on my Tohatsu (same as Nissan). I ordered a water pump kit from Inflatable Boat Center in Portland (before I found this web site). As soon as it gets here I'm going to have Mark replace the water pump impeller and repair a bent prop shaft. <br /><br />Mark didn't seem to have any problem with working on my motor. He said he get could parts if he needed to. I guess he's been doing outboard engine repairs for 30 years and I've heard he's a nice guy.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

bertschb:<br /><br />I live in Keizer and can't find any listing in the phone book for Mark's Mercs. How do I locate?

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey! I just found Mark's Mercs in the Internet white pages. Apparently the listing was too new for our phone book. It is just south of BLM where I used to work. Ain't the internet (and Iboats) wunnerful?