74 Starcraft Holiday resto

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you for your service to our country, way of life, and most importantly our brothers...If you would like chat about bennies please call me at 207 626-0000 and leave a message with your number, what state you are in and a good time to call you day or night, and weekends... all my best... Bill

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I did not know that I could bring them in from the side... do you think that all would function alright and have space enough for the remote cables to allow the engine to turn and cables still function correctly in a 1 foot wide by the width of the boat(74 inches) Area... I have no idea how flexible the cables are... I will be purchasing the best shift and throttle cables Honda has to offer... I really want the extra room...

It works fine like this for mine, in fact no boats made now have a huge SW or a hole on the front for rigging. The issue is tilting the motor up into the well not turning the motor. Either way your cables have to have some slack for movement.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Waterman... this site is to die for... you raise yet another issue that I never thought about... if I put a bar from gunwale to gunwale at 1 foot in front of the motor will it interfere with the motor when I tilt it up... the bar will be even with the top of the gunwales... tilt range 60 degrees

Last edited:

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I contacted where I purchased my motor and it is not good... Raise the transom or 25% restocking fee... I have asked them to sell it however long it takes... I can not believe that I ordered this motor without checking the transom height... what a bummer... oh well slog on...

MNhunter1

Ensign
So I contacted where I purchased my motor and it is not good... Raise the transom or 25% restocking fee... I have asked them to sell it however long it takes... I can not believe that I ordered this motor without checking the transom height... what a bummer... oh well slog on...

No experience with these or knowledge of the physics/mechanics behind a 25" leg on a 20" transom, but might be worth looking into...
http://www.iboats.com/VERTICAL-EXTENSION-5IN-CMC/dm/view_id.1388014\

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have told him to sell it however long it takes... I see a picture on Honda Marine and it appears the the face of the motor is barely if at all beyond the transom... it appears that if it went to 60 degrees tilt it should not move forward 1 foot... I am going to call some Honda dealers to see what it looks like if I can find one that has a Honda in stock...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks MNHunter1... I have looked at this stuff and decided against them... I am not much for correcting a mechanical mistake with some sort of fix that is going to compromise my installation... I am also worried about metal fatigue in the transom area... I am planning on fabricating some sort of brace from a cross bar to the transom to be cautious...

Watermann

The business still has the motor? and they want a 25% restocking fee? I would sell it myself and take a 25% hit before I'd give them money for nothing.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can someone comment on the tolerance in inches to the placement of the anti Ventilation plate in reference to the bottom of the V in the hull??? there is a schematic on page 23 that shows the bottom of the anti ventilation plate set exactly level with the bottom of the V in the hull... I have read that 1 to 2 inches is acceptable... is there enough adjustment when installing this motor to make up for 1 inch?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
That restocking fee is highway robbery!

Not sure of the tolerance but have you looked into a jack plate...one with minimal setback (setback puts you in the wrong direction regarding cav plate position)?

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have looked into the Jack and a number of other fixes... concluded not for me... I am going to take the heat... after all its my stupidity that put me in this position so it is I who should pay lifes penalty... good lesson learned... I have been coasting too long and now I have been warned... in the future I will pay much more attention to detail before I pull the trigger... especially when it come to high price ticket items... but I will slow down and redouble my calculations and deliberate especially here on this forum... This place is a God sent/Gold mine... hundreds of heads, most all with much more knowlege and experience than I... My hat is off to everyone here...

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
This may help....might be a bit late as we just posted at the same time.

Attachments

• Motor.png
    Motor.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
  • convert.png
    convert.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 0

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
this is very helpful... I have seen many of the evenrudes on sebago lake and it appears that they are 2 to 3 inches into the splash well at 0 degrees vertical... I am going to try to find one to look at... if not I will bolt down my transom and have the motor installed before I decide how much to shorten the splash well... thanks for the graphic... this is very helpful... the transom height graphic was entered earlier by another member... that is when I realised my mistake...

Watermann

Normally when they rig the motor they also put in all the cabling and you pretty much can't put the steering cable in the motor with it mounted. All this means that you will have even more issues if you have the motor installed without the SW in place.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
The installer will be obtaining the correct cables... I am hoping to use the original helm but it is pretty stiff right now... I am going to see if I can free it... if not I will replace the helm along with a smaller diameter stering wheel... I am trying to see a motor installed so the I can cut the splash well before the install... if not I will need to remove all the cables, cut the splash well and replace it all back together... seems like alot of work to get 1 extra foot of space... maybe I can just build a flat bench like some of the new boats have... I will have to see how low the top of the transome comes with the motor installed and slowing down quickly to see how much water comes in... I have a 600 gallon per hour pump... hoping to never need it...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
also I am putting my fuel 15 gallon tank under the bow along with 1/4 inch diamond plate aluminum for flooring in the middle and front with the 1/2 inch Merieti in the rear in hopes of keeping the bow down on windy days fishing while not being too bow heavy as to make the boat porpuse at cruising speed... anyone please chime in here if you have knowlege of this maybe being a problem...

Watermann

Porpoising is caused by a light bow and heavy stern. Handling issues on a plane are caused by a bow heavy set up.

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure if I would consider AL for flooring. The weight ratio compared to wood isn't enough of an advantage to have too tolerate the cons of "everything is going to sound very loud and tinny" as wood has a very good sound absorbing factor and most of all it dissipates heat from direct sun much more effectively. Definitely do the structural with AL angle and sq. tubing.......5/8" ply is lots if properly framed imo.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
You should all know by now that I am an idiot... I get these crazy ideas and just experiment on my own... I am very happy to have the wisdom that is here... as a fisherman it is important to weight the boat so that the keel is well into the water due to the fish bite best on a westerly wind and here in Maine that is where all our nasty weather comes from in the summer... so what I will now do is build the boat with nothing permanent so that I can see how it goes and make adjustments after bringing these issues here to this forum for discussion to elieveate detremental issues and ending up with a boat that is safe and funtional for the main purpose which is fishing... tell me if the bow is too heavy and I have handling issues what will I encounter... and I have bought the best carpet that I could find which should dampen the tiny sound(if it does sound tiny I will get rid of it)... if there is one thing I hate it is a rattle or noise that is unnessassary... also the aluminum flooring is less than 1/3rd more weight than the 1/2 inch merieti plywood... and I am hopeing to live more than 20 more years and I do not want to rehab this boat again...

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I went to two boat dealers today to look at motors on boats that were fully tipped up(60 plus degrees)... I have determined that I can cut the splash well to 1 foot and install it where it contacts the transom but not install the rail or finnish the splash well untill the motor is installed to know exactly what amount of room I will need... so this way the installer will be able to do a complete install cables and all and I can get a tin knocker to complete the spash well once I have installed the rail and braces... what do you think??