I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Keep the KF till at least your other SC is ready. Then at least you will still have that option to fish from a boat.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I would keep the KF since you own her and just give shore fishing a try. I bet your wife will not like the experience as much as being in a boat. No sense selling the boat. You will regret it. JMHO. Maybe the 50 is what she is concerned about. Maybe look for a 25-35 which will do you nice.
She's from the Philippines and has been fishing from the shore her whole life. That is probably her comfort zone. That and eating tiny little fish, equivalent to bait for me. Literally! The first time we went to the bait shop and bought shiners, she said that we should just cook those up! :lol:

She and the boy got here in July 2012 and for the first 3+ years we fished only from the shore, until we bought and fixed up this Kingfisher in 2015. And from the very next day after the splash she said that she didn't like the "tippy" feeling of the boat. Same word from the boy. Been discussed a number of times. They've adapted... a little. They still don't like it, even yesterday while we were out. Nothing to do with the power of the engine though.

My primary freshwater interest is bass fishing. Requires hunting for the fish, then figuring out what they want and trying to get 'em in the boat. It can take hours of no bites though. Means that the angler needs to be really patient and focused. I've been very good at it in the past (was told I should have gone pro) but I took a hiatus for more than a decade once I got into saltwater fishing. I need to get my bass fishing skills back. Been having trouble finding the bass in the riverine lake where we fish. Caught a few, but it's been tough. Yesterday the water level was 3 feet below what it was just a month ago! The water under the bridge was only about 6 inches deep. No fishies there yesterday!

Her preference is sitting anchored up (or on shore) and "catching" for bluegill. Not patiently fishing. Catching. Sure, I can sit under a bridge and dunk a worm but I get bored with it pretty quickly. As does she when I'm hunting the bass.

We've done some saltwater shore fishing but won't be taking the KF out to the flats until I get the 50HP Mercury installed; if that actually happens. And the Chieftain will be used in the Gulf, but obviously not the flats, once it's completed.

Keep the KF till at least your other SC is ready. Then at least you will still have that option to fish from a boat.
Indeed something to consider. And with my health the way it is, shore fishing has been impossible at times. A boat comes in handy.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Santa put these stainless cleats for the Kingfisher in my stocking! Nice. :D

stainless cleats.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well, I did a little work on the KF this afternoon. Very little. But something anyway! :lol:

And now I have a mess to clean up.

I wanted to remove this old lift handle from the starboard stern gunwale. Need it for another project and also to make room for a new stainless cleat.

But the wide head flat machine screws were iron and rusted solidly to the nuts below the gunwale. So, I had to hog them out with a drill. Started with my regular 3/8" corded drill but it wasn't enough. Had to move up to the 1/2" hammer drill and that ended up working but really uglied things up a bit.

I need to clean the surface up and make it safe to run a hand across without getting cut. As for filling the holes, I dunno. Should I bother?

Suggestions?

smallI1.jpg

smallI2.jpg

smallI3.jpg

Attachments

• smallI5.jpg
    smallI5.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 2
  • smallI4.jpg
    smallI4.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 2

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Over on the port stern gunwale I started to add the new stainless cleat. Pulled some extraneous screws leftover from a PO installation of some kind. Got the screws out and the holes lined up with one end of the new cleat just fine. And I have stainless screws to mount it too.

But! I can't find my stainless washers! They're somewhere in the boxes of stuff in the new garage. :facepalm: Gonna have to dig through each one till I find 'em I reckon! :lol:

smallI4.jpg

smallI5.jpg

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I think screws through the holes like the two by the cleat is worth the effort. It looks cleaner than the holes and you aren't going for a show boat. Using the existing holes is smart too. Why put four new holes adjacent to 4 older holes.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well, I finally got the stainless cleats mounted today. Had a bout with the stomach flu going around and it clobbered me pretty good for 4 - 5 days. Ugh. :sick: :puke:

I did take the KF out fishing one day last week for just a couple of hours. Went with my neighbor buddy. It was his first time fishing in decades and also the first time out in a boat of any kind for many years. We just wanted to see how 2 old guys with health problems would get on. It was okay. Not bad, not great. Just okay.

Didn't catch any fish in the "grass lake" where we went. Had a nice enough time but once again I ran into the limitations of that 28 lb. thrust trolling motor. The wind was only about 8mph but it was strong enough to keep us from making headway up wind. Definitely gonna have to replace it... maybe. :noidea:

Here's my buddy enjoying our time on the water.

1.jpg

I decided not to do anything to fill the holes I made when gouging out the old lift handle off the gunwale. Researched how to plug a hole and duh... there are hole plugs available! Found some online but didn't order them because... I actually counted the number of holes in the gunwales and other spots put there by some PO... and stopped counting when I got to twenty-five! 25!!

Plugging 25+ holes with plastic plugs like these would be ridiculous. So I just ground down the sharp parts of the holes and moved along.

plug.jpg

Edges ground off.
1.jpg

Big hole, small bolt required fender washers.
2.jpg

Ready to install.
1.jpg

Starboard cleat mounted.
2.jpg

Port cleat mounted.
3.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Hey! Should I whack this pin over with a BFH? It's definitely off center.

While sitting in the garage figuring out where to arrange stuff, I saw that retaining pin hanging out. I did tap it gently with my 8 lb. engineer's hammer but it didn't budge. Should I spray it with some WD-40 and give it a bigger whack to get it back on center? Looks like a circlip is missing too.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Something doesn't look right with that thrust pin, all the ones I have look like this

s-l225.jpg

and they don't fit tightly either.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Something doesn't look right with that thrust pin, all the ones I have look like this

s-l225.jpg

and they don't fit tightly either.
Hmmm... I guess a PO did a replacement for some reason. I'm going to be selling the motor anyway, so I don't want to spend bucks on it if I don't have to.

Whack or no? :lol:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No whack. It is probably the wrong size for the hole and whacking it might break the hole. I think that part is cast aluminium. Maybe stop by a boat yard and see If they have an old one lying around that looks like the one Watermann posted.. If anything, I'd whack it out of the hole. From the short side. Nothing too hard. If it doesn't move coming out, maybe heat it a bit. Definitely don't try and whack it further in.

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did this engine sit in the water in a previous life? The Evinrude on the pontoon I have did, and after a few light treatments with muriatic acid and a little pb blaster I was able to free by hand. I don't see a need for the MA in your case, but a few sessions of pb/ wd may make your life much easier.

Is this a factory TnT outboard?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well, I'm sitting in the hospital waiting room awaiting surgery. This getting up at oh-dark-early stuff sucks. LOL. Boring too.

So in a couple days I'll look into using some WD-40 and/or PB Blaster to try to loosen it up.

I have no idea about the previous life but it's just an 8HP tiller motor. No TNT.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Good thoughts you, your family and med staffs way this am.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I'm home again. It went okay. I?m fine.

Looking forward to getting back in the saddle,

Thanks guys! :joyous:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Woof woof! :lol:

I'm back on the job. :D

Need some suggestions on how to extend the standoff on my trailer. It's too short and when the boat is pulled up to the rubber stop, the winch handle sometimes hits the boat hull unless I'm super careful. Hard on the knuckles too. :mmph:

I could use another 1/2 to 1 inch of clearance. I was thinking of putting a steel pillow block under the mounting plate but I don't have such a thing around here. I'm sure that plywood would be unacceptable.

Any ideas?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg