1977 StarCraft 18' SS restore

MNhunter1

Ensign
Looks as if me and Murphy are becoming good friends.. Received my rivets and one order was wrong length.. May work??
Then took out my new HF Pneumatic air riveter and was trying to remove the base to put in the hydraulic oil.. That was a joke by itself.
Put the head in a vice and use the supplied wrench to remove the base. It was so tight that the head turned and the base never moved..
Taking it back tomorrow morning..
I did however fix the leaking pipe in the wall.. :facepalm:
Hope everyone has a better week than I am having..:frusty:

I just yanked the cylinder cap on my HF riveter and found it was already filled with oil?? 😧

dozerII

Admiral
Don't let Ol Murphy fool you he never becomes your friend, kick him to the curb:rolleyes:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Murph likes when you keep a running list of his accomplishments....it keeps him coming back! :eek: so I stopped giving him credit :cool: :lol:

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
My HF Air Riveter spewed oil all over the first time i went to use it.....

Decker83

Commander
I just yanked the cylinder cap on my HF riveter and found it was already filled with oil?? 😧
My instructions said I needed to put the oil in.. Went back this morning and exchanged it for a new one.. The new one had oil in it..
Bought the first one 2 weeks ago.. How do you figure..

Don't let Ol Murphy fool you he never becomes your friend, kick him to the curb:rolleyes:
Thanks dozerll.. Put a boot to Ol Murphy today..:lol:

Murph likes when you keep a running list of his accomplishments....it keeps him coming back! :eek: so I stopped giving him credit :cool: :lol:
I think your right about that.. Just keep my mouth shut about him for now on..:D

My HF Air Riveter spewed oil all over the first time i went to use it.....

I got the new one hooked up with air and put a few drops of tool oil in the inlet and wd40 on the jaws and popped some rivets tonight..
Worked good so far.. Didn't have much oil come out of it..
Going to put the floor support angles in tomorrow I hope..

Decker83

Commander
Have a question about the amount of Gluvit to buy.. Looking at the quart size.. Will that be enough? Can buy a gallon for almost the price for 2 quarts,
but don't want 1/2 to 3/4 left over..
What do you gentlemen think?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I bought a quart for my 16' Kingfisher and it wasn't enough. Had to buy a second quart.

Yes, I applied it fairly liberally but I also was very careful when filling the seams. I'd brush some into place then watch for it to seep into the cracks fully. Then I'd apply more. At the bow, that turned out to be a pretty good amount of Gluvit.

I only had a very little bit left over from the second quart. I figured it was better to make darned sure that I used enough Gluvit to actually seal everything rather than to go cheap on this most important of steps on the refit.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
All I did in my Chief was one good application on the seams and rivets "in the field" but not any of the ribs since it's a waste. A quart was just enough since I didn't do 2 coats.

dozerII

Admiral
A gallon will be too much for sure, but I have always found a quart is not quite enough and I find myself trying to spread it around by re-brushing from one spot to the next. Temp might have something to do with that tho, I have always applied it in the shop in the winter at about 60 f so it is a little thick, at your 80F it should be like water and spread real nice.

Decker83

Commander
Thanks for the replies..
I like BWR way of thinking.. I will start with a quart and see how that goes.. If I need more I have a west marine store close by and can get more..
We are going to be in the 102 & 103 deg this weekend.. Thanks for the heads up Dozerll..

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
I used 1 quart for my 16. I hit all the seams real good, then went at the rivets, for the last 3-4 rivets I had to wet my brush in some of the rivets I had done already, the Gluvit sorta pooled up around some so I managed to stretch it to hit them all.
It was a pretty easy job. I mixed half at a time. I had plenty of working time just goofing it on with a brush.
It smelled bad but I have a leak free boat now!

Decker83

Commander
Just a little update.. Put in the z bars for floor support.. The rivets worked well.. The HF air riveter worked well also..

Got the Gluvit this weekend and washed down the hull with the cleaning vinegar and then a wash down with the pressure washer..
Son in Law came over and helped buck the leaking rivets.. Put the Gluvit on the seams and rivets..
No pics today but it did happen..:D
Have a great week..

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Just a little update.. Put in the z bars for floor support.. The rivets worked well.. The HF air riveter worked well also..

Got the Gluvit this weekend and washed down the hull with the cleaning vinegar and then a wash down with the pressure washer..
Son in Law came over and helped buck the leaking rivets.. Put the Gluvit on the seams and rivets..
No pics today but it did happen..:D
Have a great week..
Congrats on the Gluvit application! How much did you end up using?

Decker83

Commander
Used right at a quart so far.. Going to check it tomorrow and see how it looks..

Decker83

Commander
Not much to brag about but did get some more done..
On the inside port and starboard there is a hull stiffiner that is a solid piece that keeps me from using the gluvit on the seams and rivets..
See pic..

100_3382.jpg

So I flipped the hull and used gluvit on this seam from the outside after I cleaned it with acetone and a SS wire brush.. I started just ahead of the stiffiner and went back to the transom on both sides..

100_3379.jpg

After it cured I sanded it down some just to smooth it out ..
Then I used the power washer to clean the hull and some acetone on the seams at the front of the hull.. Then used the 3m 5200 fast cure to lay a nice
bead on the seams..

100_3381.jpg

100_3380.jpg

Going to put some more gluvit on tomorrow..

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Good idea, there's not much else you can do for the area of the seams that's covered by the stiffeners. Looks like there's a good amount of old SC factory smeg in the keel area, they got pretty sloppy with that stuff.

dozerII

Admiral
You sure have that hull prepped nice. The gluvit and 5200 should insure no leaks for many years to come.

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
That looks like it'll work great Decker, as others have said, I doubt very much that you'll have any issues with leaky seams!