1977 StarCraft 18' SS restore

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Hi Decker. I too, didn't check in much with the website for a while and didn't see your health report until a few minutes ago when I checked your deck boat rebuild thread. I'm glad you're on the mend now. So you finally left the dark side for the lighter side, eh? I'll be following along. I'm sure you'll find the aluminum work a pleasant change from that stinky stuff. - Grandad

Decker83

Commander
Awesome, a new topic, a complete tear down, AND a donor???

What the heck, seems like that SS has rolled into the Texas version of nirvana ;)

Someone HAS been waiting to do some boat work!

Nirvana (LOL) Been chomping at the bit to get back on one of these boats..

Great looking project SS Decker, will be following along as well.

Thanks dozerll and welcome.. Showed your In The Red thread to the Admiral.. WOW you set the bar high.. She was so impressed, I think it motivated her
to see my project finished..:target: She even let me spend money for the donor boat.. That woman can squeeze a penny so hard that Lincoln will squirt a tear..

Decker: in the top right corner of any forum page is your user name. Click the menu down arrow to the right of your name.

From the drop down menu pick User Settings. Then pick the About tab

Edit post signature is near the bottom of the page that opens showing your profile's details/info. Changing your signature and adding a link to your Starcraft build is similar to before. There's an add URL link tool in the tools that drop down when you click the capital underlined At the top right corner of a post window. The link icon looks like a chain.

For multiple quotes, click the 1st post you want to quote using the quote button at the bottom right corner of a reply window. When you do, notice that the Post Reply button at the top left corner of the reply window changes color and also has (1) after it.

Don't type anything yet, just scroll to the next post you want to quote, and press quote again. Notice the Post Reply button is still a different color, but now has (2) after it.

Continue adding posts to quote until you have selected all the posts you want to quote. Now click the Post Reply button at the top left corner of your browser window. The server will open a reply window that has all your selected quotes posted. Just type whatever you'd like to post before or after each quoted reply.

You are the man jb.. Without your vast knowledge and help, I wouldn't have figured this out..:D

Welcome to the Starmada Decker! :welcome:

You aren't wasting any time man!
I'm dying to know...how far did you low-ball the donor-owner on 1st-bid??? :lol:

Thank you classiccat.. Welcome aboard..
If you look at the dates on the pics. it will tell you how fast I really am..:eek:
I just emailed the guy and said I was interested in his boat.. Left my ph# and waited.. He called me the next day.. I told him I was only interested in the motor and out drive and I couldn't pay 1500.00.. Told him I just missed one on CL last week that was a 95 model and went for 500.00.. He said he would think about it. One hour later he called and said 600.00 and I said SOLD..:peace:

Hi Decker. I too, didn't check in much with the website for a while and didn't see your health report until a few minutes ago when I checked your deck boat rebuild thread. I'm glad you're on the mend now. So you finally left the dark side for the lighter side, eh? I'll be following along. I'm sure you'll find the aluminum work a pleasant change from that stinky stuff. - Grandad

Thanks for dropping in Grandad and Welcome to my dry dock..
I did have a set back last July, but with the new legs, I'm still kicking, just not as high..:lol:
Haven't gone over completely yet.. Admiral says I have to finish both of them.. Good thing she likes the tinny's..:party:
I do like the aluminum work better.. I did sheet metal work for 20+ years before I started selling insurance with the Admiral..

Decker83

Commander
Going to be slow this week.. My oldest daughter and SIL and there two boys came in from Tennessee this week..
Did get out this evening and use the orbital sander with 320 grit paper on the transom..
Do have some pitting but not real bad..
Here is a couple of pics..
100_3257.jpg

100_3258.jpg

Also removed the wiring and steering and throttle cables..
Hope everyone in Oklahoma is safe and well tonight..

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Put the grandkids to work helping in the driveway :)

Isnt that supposed to be a benefit of having kids: grandsons and free labor ;)

I wouldnt know, i cant even get grand-dogs, as rescue pet owners, ours have always been 'fixed'

Transom looks good, 'cept that odd shaped big arse hole in it...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah that's not bad at all for pitting except for that one great big odd shaped one that is. :lol:

Those motor mount beds check out how much difference there is in their placement I have to scratch my head on that one.

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Great looking project there, I'm tagging along to watch too!

Decker83

Commander
Put the grandkids to work helping in the driveway :)

Isnt that supposed to be a benefit of having kids: grandsons and free labor ;)

I wouldnt know, i cant even get grand-dogs, as rescue pet owners, ours have always been 'fixed'

Transom looks good, 'cept that odd shaped big arse hole in it...

Couldn't get my SIL or grandson's to lift a finger..:blue:
That is a strange looking hole in the arse.. Things that make you say hum..:eek:

Yeah that's not bad at all for pitting except for that one great big odd shaped one that is. :lol:

Those motor mount beds check out how much difference there is in their placement I have to scratch my head on that one.
I never noticed that until I removed the motor.. I have no ideal what that is all about..

Great looking project there, I'm tagging along to watch too!

Welcome aboard hayko1971.. Maybe we can both learn something on this one..:D

Decker83

Commander
All the family left this morning and heading home..:whoo:
Did some work on the donor today..
Remove cleats,seat,dash panel and wiring harness..
100_3259.jpg

100_3262.jpg

100_3260.jpg

100_3261.jpg

Admiral said the donor has to go fast.. Will be pulling the motor this week I hope.. Need to find some info on the motor and out drive..
I will try in the merc forum..

Hope everyone has a great week ahead..:high5:

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Go team Decker!

Are you junking the donor hull?

If so, just sawZall the motor/outdrive loose from the hull.. motor mounts/keyhole and all..

If you cut the deck above the transom out, your picker might even be tall enough to take the weight while you cut it all free.

Decker83

Commander
Go team Decker!

Are you junking the donor hull?

If so, just sawZall the motor/outdrive loose from the hull.. motor mounts/keyhole and all..

If you cut the deck above the transom out, your picker might even be tall enough to take the weight while you cut it all free.

The PO said he has the title for the boat.. I may want to sell the hull if he gets it to me.. So I will just pull the motor..

Decker83

Commander
Did get some serial #'s off the motor and drive.. Mercruiser Transom Assembly A503440.. The tag on the motor A314590.. The Mercruiser Drive unit A319717..
Not sure where to find the info on these numbers..
Was able to remove the drive this evening.. A few pics.. 100_3265.jpg

100_3263.jpg

100_3264.jpg

Looked like everything was still in good shape.. Will have a ton of ? when I put it back together.. Have never done this before..:eek:
Have a great Hump Day..:D

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
That may be one of the cleanest donor drives I've seen pulled on iboats. Outstanding!

dozerII

Admiral
Thant is a great looking Alpha one set up. You can find a tone of info on it in the sticky Adults Only section in the Mercruiser section.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh yeah, very nice! Not to worry, it's easy to work on those stern drives. You just have to acquire the right tools is all.

Decker83

Commander
That may be one of the cleanest donor drives I've seen pulled on iboats. Outstanding!

Thanks jbcurt.. It looks pretty clean.. Just hope it runs as well as it looks..

Thant is a great looking Alpha one set up. You can find a tone of info on it in the sticky Adults Only section in Mercruisersection.

Thanks for the info dozerll.. Found the manuals for the mercruiser motor and stern drive..

Oh yeah, very nice! Not to worry, it's easy to work on those stern drives. You just have to acquire the right tools is all.

Thanks watermann.. I have looked at the tools in the mercruiser sticky and reviewed the home made one's.. Thanks to dozerll I found a lot of great info..

Last edited by a moderator:

Decker83

Commander
Hope everyone has a good Easter Sunday..:dance:
Did some more work on the donor today with the help of my youngest daughter and SIL.. Can't say enough about them.. There always willing to help me and the Admiral..:becky:

Have the motor pulled now.. Just need to remove the transom assembly.. The PO put some 3/4 plywood over the existing floor.. Need to pull it up and remove the gas tank..

Just a couple of pics today..
100_3266.jpg

100_3267.jpg

Have another question for you gentlemen..
Should I keep the newer trailer from the donor boat or keep the Dilly trailer?
Will try to get up some pics of them both tomorrow..

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
Those motor do come out quick and easy. Take a close look at both trailers evaluate which is the best fit for the boat and which is in the best condition, if one has some better attributes than the other you may be able to take the best from both and make one great trailer for yourself and a good trailer for the person you sell the other one too.:D

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep, just from the engine pulling pix, the donor trailer looks like a fairly good shape, newer trailer.

I scrolled back up and the pix in post #9 suggest a trailer change is in order.

Decker83

Commander
Those motor do come out quick and easy. Take a close look at both trailers evaluate which is the best fit for the boat and which is in the best condition, if one has some better attributes than the other you may be able to take the best from both and make one great trailer for yourself and a good trailer for the person you sell the other one too.:D

The motor came out real easy.. :D Especially when you get to watch someone else doing it..:laugh:

Yep, just from the engine pulling pix, the donor trailer looks like a fairly good shape, newer trailer.

I scrolled back up and the pix in post #9 suggest a trailer change is in order.

I tend to agree with you and dozerll both on this..