My Super Sportster

Status
Not open for further replies.

dozerII

Admiral
Paint is looking real good, I like all the green grass in the background.

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to see the dentist now... :lol:

Hey I'm really liking that color, check this out... Transom and pieces for my SN dash

IMAG0321.jpg

Nice

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So after carefully taping up the steering cable and boot for the repaint I ended up replacing them. Not bad for 33 yrs old but looked to be on borrowed time.

It was 13.5 ft long, next closest size available now is 14 ft, they don't offer them in 1/2ft increments any longer.

64osby

Admiral
I would look to replace it as part of the project. Breaking a cable on an outing would be a real pain.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
New cables shift and operate so nice and with peace of mind to boot. Good choice on replacing them. Even if a little long the cables can be moved around to take up the slack unlike a steering cable.

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It turns out the new QC Safe T Helm has a larger diameter snout on the die cast housing for the steering shaft support which requires the newer style mounting bracket with the larger through hole. The marine supply store where I bought mine inadvertently gave me the old style one with my new helm and cable. No big deal, I just opened up the hole slightly with a die grinder to allow the new helm to pass through it, was not worth the trip back to Ft. Pierce to exchange it. I really like the Quick Connect feature, it made the process of getting the steering wheel spokes centered the way I wanted them a snap. No tools required, so you can make this adjustment out on the water quite easily.

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All that trouble to tape this thing up and now I'm going to toss it. Just didn't make sense not to replace it while doing the new cable. It had a steel inner ring that was getting bubbled up under the rubber. New one has no metal in it except for the rivets!

64osby

Admiral
Good call on replacing that. Saves the new cable for wearing.

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I also made sure the bare aluminum underneath the transom pad got properly sealed up. Two coats SE primer, 2 coats epoxy primer, 3 coats catylized enamel. I used 5200 to seal the new pad in place.

LastDollar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just read your post while having a cup of hot chocolate :rolleyes: , That is a sharp looking boat, keep up the good work!

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you for the words of encouragement. I have been cleaning up/fixing this "Turn Key" boat since last October. Starting to run out of steam and the warm weather has already hit us down here. Freaking humidity is back. Here is a shot with the transom pad in place:

Watermann

Looking good GD :thumb:

What are your plans for the transom cover?

Watermann

Yeap, I didn't know if yours was still in good shape or not, most get seriously mauled and broken since the AL is so darn thin. Looks really nice though from here!

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeap, I didn't know if yours was still in good shape or not, most get seriously mauled and broken since the AL is so darn thin. Looks really nice though from here!

Yeah, this was my Dad's suggestion, he put them on all his boats, the stainless really saves the transom from the clamp feet. He made two of them for me, the smaller one is for the trolling motor. I made a matching plywood outer transom pad for the trolling motor as well. Just about have this boat all buttoned up, both the engine and trolling motor are hanging back on the transom.

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Is this what you were thinking?:

Just getting caught up after being offline for a few days. I like the idea of the inner transom cover. I didn't think about doing something like that to mine when I finished ours up last spring. I may have to do some modifications to ours this spring. Looking good, and I'm sure you like allot of us can't wait to get her back in the water.

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just getting caught up after being offline for a few days. I like the idea of the inner transom cover. I didn't think about doing something like that to mine when I finished ours up last spring. I may have to do some modifications to ours this spring. Looking good, and I'm sure you like allot of us can't wait to get her back in the water.

Can't wait to get her back out on the water, haven't used her since late December. Here she is all re-rigged and ready to go:

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I also got the tach wired in and working good, used a factory wiring harness found at a marine center, it was ten yrs old, new in box. Got it wired into the light circuit too.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Very nice work. My hands are shaking also..... it's time to go fishin'

Watermann

She's looking great GD and coming together nicely! :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.