New guy, starcraft mariner 210

jmalecek

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, I've been lurking here for some time now. I live in Jasper, GA, and use to frequent Carters Lake a bit since it wasn't as busy as the others, Altoona and Lanier.
My pa-in-law gave me his '81 mariner 210 2 years ago as a project for me and the kids. I've worked out of state for years and have a job at home now.
He was the original owner.
I have read several threads of restoring these boats, and getting some ideas of the whole process of whats ahead of me.

Your threads have given me alot of ideas, but impatience and $ are a factor for me.
Before he gave his first boat to us, he started pulling the floors. The transom is mulch as is the stringer that supports the the rear part of the bow cap.
I think I'm gonna use the pink foam boards from HD for flotation, and 5/8 for the deck and transom.

I do have a couple questions tho.

1- Did the mariner come with a below-deck tank? If not, would your recommend doing this to sacrifice flotation and where would the best place on the boat for balance?

2- He also gave a older (1986) Johnny 110 vro with the boat. Trim and tilt do not work, and it has not been started since he had it rebuilt 10 years ago. Should I use it or my 1988 briggs-stratton (Force 125) that I am familiar with? Both are 25" shaft.

3- Future question, where can I find the original panit schemes for this year range of starcraft? I've searched google and mostly find rebuilt / redesigned boats.

I'm not set on keeping it original, but would like to see what was on the boat and come up with something in between.

I know I'm lying until there's a pic or 2 posted, so you will just have to take my word for it until I can pull the boat out from the side of the shed. Big Grin :D

I tried to post this in the starcraft page, but it says I'm not authorized to post there.

Thanks in advance,
​Jamie

64osby

Admiral
Welcome to the site and once a pic is posted to the Starmada.

Not many SC Mariners here but there have a few restores of 18'ers.

I have a '73 21'er has an 18 gal tank under the splash well. I think 73Chieftain put his under the console. Under deck tanks can be fit but are typically $$$.

The '86 Johnny would need a carb rebuild most likely. The PTT is fixable or replaceable. I would look towards trying to fix it. The 25" is long for that boat and won't work well unless the transom is modified.

Look at the brouchure sticky in the Starcraft section. Should give you a paint scheme.

Maybe a Mod will be nice enough to move this to the SC section.

I love our 21' Mariner, don't see many of them.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You got an error message. There are no restrictions who can post in the Starcraft forum. We even let glassheads post there. I'll move it over there for ya.

I'm down in Canton and go up to Carters sometimes. She's a deep lake and some big stripers in there.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the all Starcraft all the time on channel tin!

I'd love to see some pics of your Mariner and it's current state of disrepair. Be sure to take lots of pics so you have some before and afters when you splash her.

#1 Belly tank mid-ship gets my vote.

#2 Johnny all the way, they're way easy to work on and have abundant parts unlike the Force.

#3 Yeah the brochures above should have some ideas on paint but most guys don't like the 70's and 80's schemes that's why you see them changed up so much.

GA_Boater

You're in the safe home of the TinHeads. I didn't mean that when I said glasser guys can post in here. :behindsofa: :lol:

Now we need pics. Or the closest Mob member will do a drive-by. Ooops - That's me. :laugh:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
You'll need two pieces of 3/4" exterior or marine grade ply bonded together for the transom. 5/8" is what I used for my deck and it's solid.

dozerII

Admiral
:welcome:to the fleet, pictures are a requirement to get your Starmada membership though. Sounds like a great project.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Welcome aboard! I considered a below deck tank but didn't like how difficult they are to access. I put a 28 gallon above deck tank in my 18' Mariner and built a cover for it that looks very much like a I/O doghouse. Makes and excellent seat for 2 people

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
14hrs ...and still no pix...GaB can move your thread over to the resto section as quickly as he moved it out of it :lol:

the 110 johnny gets my vote...assuming that it even exists :p

GA_Boater

Got the finger on the button. 10,9,8,7..................... LOL Let's see - Go to the main road, turn right on I-575N to Jasper. :eek: :lol:

jmalecek

Seaman Apprentice
Got the finger on the button. 10,9,8,7..................... LOL Let's see - Go to the main road, turn right on I-575N to Jasper. :eek: :lol:

LOL I'm not hard to find GA. I will try to get a pic posted of it where it is currently nested ;)

jmalecek

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, here's a pic as she sits. It won't be until the weekend before I can pull her out.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Just in time pix ^^^

But, hmmmm.........

I don't see a date code time stamp.....

Did you just dig up a random google image of a covered tin boat? :rolleyes:
I can't even see the bow diamond plate........ :eek: :D :watermelon:..............

Recall the horde, but have them at the ready................ :tinfoil3: :tinfoil3:

Nice galv trailer though....

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Are you sure both of your OB's are 25"? Those are kind of rare for that HP range...I'm thinking they may be 20" legs, which would be perfect for this boat.

64osby

Admiral
19824.jpg~original.jpeg
This is what she would have looked like brand new. The MR 210 is the second largest pic.

Last edited:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
:welcome: Welcome to the Starmada! She'll be a great project! If you are indeed working with longshafts...maybe look onto a jackplate.

GA_Boater

Got a pic. I don't have to drive to Jasper in the stinkin' rain. LOL We're a tough crowd here, J. :D

PS - More pics will calm them down. Maybe! :lol:

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

jmalecek

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys,

I measured the Johnny when I got off work last night, the shaft on it is 19" but that was taken with a tape and it laying on the garage floor. The force is still mounted on a maxum 20' and I didn't measure due to the storm yesterday evening.

My plan is to pull the tinny from the weeds this weekend and start to strip it, but I have 5 kids ages 16 - 3 and free time is limited. :)

Jamie