My 1969 Starcraft Starchief.....all 18' of her

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
One sunny Spring day my father drove up the street pulling this big old boat with his 1979 VW Rabbit. We couldn't believe he bought a new to us boat. It was the 1969 Starchief. It had a big old Chrysler motor on it. He pulled out the big box seats, put in a new floor and pedestal seat. I used my sewing talents and made us a canopy top. We used it a few years and put a new 88 spl Evenrude motor. Later on my exhusband and I were given the boat and enjoyed it many years with our sons. In 2001 the boat needed a new floor which I replaced myself. Sad to say but the old Starcraft sat in the backyard from 2007 until this month. My father who isn't in great health mentioned to me that he sure would like to go cat fishing on the river and wondered if the old boat motor even ran anymore. I know this is long, for that I apologize. I wanted you to have some background on the old girl. My husband and I drove to the back off the lot. There among overgrown bushes and weeds there sat a boat. We had to cut down mini trees, pump up the tires and we were off to the side yard.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to TinLand - iboats style, Lanie. A nice story and here's hoping for a quick turn around to take Dad cat fishing. Do you have any pics? I'll tell ya, one of the Chieftain pushing the Rabbit would be neat if you have one. :smile:

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
That would have been a great pic. I'm still trying to post one of her.

GA_Boater

Do you have a Photobucket account? Pasting the IMG code into the message is an easy way to post pics.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the iboats dry dock Starcraft tin division!

Sounds like you have a real nice project Chief with a great story behind her. I have the same boat in an I/O configuration. I'll be looking forward to some pics of the ole gal.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I have the same boat, though it was called a Chieftain by '74. It'll be worth the time and money to get it back on the water. Parts are still readily available for that vintage OMC outboard, too. Mine has an '82 3 cylinder that's still going strong.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Welcome! :welcome:

That's a great story! You've come to the best place on the planet for getting it back into fighting shape! :D

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks! I have always loved her. I let her get abused but she will be covered from now on

GA_Boater

I see she's getting the elbow grease treatment with all the cleaning stuff. :smile: How have the floors held up?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Thanks! I have always loved her. I let her get abused but she will be covered from now on

If you want to take a peek at some of the other Chief restorations, they're all in a link here at the top of the Starcraft forum. I just finished my Chief last week and it was a complete wreck when I started, in my sig line there's a link if you care to take a look at my work for some inspiration.

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
You Tin Addiction Starcraft is remarkable. I don't have that talent but I love reading about the hard work that you've put into yours to make it a beauty.

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
Since I pulled the old girl out of the weeds, we removed the engine cover and discovered a stinky mouse nest next to the starter. Removed that. I guess after 6 years that want so bad. Pulled the spark plugs and hand turned the fly wheel. We could hear all 4 cylinders sucking air. What a great sound. My next step since the engine had hope was to remove everything out of the boat. Found where the mice were really happy living on the life jackets, eating a hole thru my canvas top and of course leaving their potty stinky mess behind.

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
Drained the lower unit and refilled, put new spark plugs in, put charged battery in boat, bought new gas. Hooked up the water, time to see if she starts. Took 3 or 4 cranking and she started right up. Nice steady stream of water from the waterpump. Yippee it was a great day. Now down to repairs. First up. The floor.