First Boat : Starcraft Restoration - Mid 60's Unknown & Need Guidance

Hello all! First of all I just joined after cruising Craigslist in my area a few weeks ago and finding a boat I thought too cool to pick-up. I'm a regular mechanic by hobby and do quite a bit of vehicular builds for various racing types. I was spending on Sunday afternoon relaxing cruising Craigslist and came across an ad for a 1967 Starcraft boat for sale in my area. After contacting the owner as I found the boat to look very stylish and like a fun interesting project, mind you I have absolutely NO experience with boating at all, I ended up meeting and purchasing the boat. The owner who bought it from another guy around the corner a year or so ago said the boat has been sitting for the past few years and without any knowledge told me it was a '67 Starcraft that didn't run. He claims the motor is in good shape and he couldn't get it to start though he never really got around to it.

I've brought the boat back to my shop, most definitely NOT in the need for another project but hey I like to bring things back to life and give them another go-around before letting them rot in someone's yard. I've got the idea in which I'd like to do all the cosmetics and eventually pull this cool little boat behind my '66 Cadillac I've restored over the last couple years and continue to tinker on. Should make a fun weekend with the wife.

Anyways, here're a few questions I have for some of you more experienced guys:

-What year/model is this boat? I've spent some time digging and looking over the models/brochures and cannot still verify exactly what model it is. The boat is 13' from transom to front tip of the Bow, not 15' as the seller told me. The boat is full fiberglass. It has a 45hp Chrysler outboard with the matching throttle controls though I do not believe these to have been originally on the boat, purely out of assumption with the little knowledge I have of boating. From side to side the boat is about 5'10" behind the windshield on top side. There's no plate on the transom and must've been either removed or never existed over time. I am unable to locate any numbers etched into the fiberglass anywhere so far.

-Motor is a Chrysler 45hp as mentioned above. This is the only thing I've found ANY identification on so far. Model# 507H3D, Serial# 1255, Operating Range 4500-5500rpm, BIA 50hp @ 5000rpm, ISO STD 35.4kW @ 5000rpm. Owner couldnt get it to start but I dont think he ever got around to it. Said the 'coilpack was bad'. Looks like one of the two coils is cracked and most likely is bad. I've never worked on an outboard, or any boat motor, but it looks relatively simple as I spent today walking around it and figuring out what everything was. I plan on doing a quick carb rebuild and changing gasket on the fuel pump, as well as replacing most of the hoses and checking the fluid (if any) in the lower section of the motor before even attempting to start it. Any other recommendations I should know?

-Today I did a lot of disassembling and really digging into the boat. I pulled up the carpet and wood flooring to find a full fiberglass floor which kind of surprised me. It looks as if the wood was added later on because the fiberglass floor has some cracking around the seating area on the pass. (port) side. It appears, just by guessing, that there were some form of seating brackets underside the fiberglass floor originally that rusted through. Looks like someone knew that and built the wood floor and then just mounted seats directly into the wood. When I purchased the boat the seating was solid wood and completed rotted as well as not installed, so I just ditched it as it wasn't even worth using for a template to replace. This doesn't really seem like a big issue to me with the flooring if it's not a structural damage but I am unsure of what to do in this circumstance? Any recommendations as to how to check and make sure this damage is only cosmetic or based on the flooring? The hull of the boat shows no cracks or damages at all, and if necessary I can easily repair this flooring area just to strengthen and seal it off before redoing the flooring. I plan to just redo the wood on the floor and mount through it anyway. Just wanted some input before I just 'cover it up' and it come back to bite me in the butt.

-The windshield is a curved windshield and I really enjoy the look it portrays over the newer squared ones. It has quite a lot of stress cracks along the edges from the weather over the years but I believe I can clean up majority of it. In the case I cannot, does anyone know where to find these style windshields in new condition?

-The gas tank was not included with the boat but I'm going to assume was a portable smaller can located in the rear of the boat (as the wood, once carpet removed, had a lot of oil staining in the port rear corner only) and the hose/prime-bulb are only long enough to reach that area as well. What, if I am able to get this 45hp Chrysler motor going, size tank should I expect to use? What is the rough MPG or hour-to-gallon rate I should expect out of this motor? Also, would this boat be bad to plan a bow-relocation for a permanent tank? I think I could easily fit a tank for permanent placement in the front of the boat and mount a venting system to get all the fumes exiting the rear of the boat without the passengers smelling it as well as a flush mounted filler neck in front of the windshield. I am not certain though that this will weigh down the front of the boat too much?

I do plan on doing quite a bit of cosmetic upgrading the boat as I am not only mechanically inclined but also have a painting background and a large paint booth. This boat should be pretty simple compared to the cars I usually build since everything is just a flat surface and I am really excited about making something that turns heads on the lake. This forum has, with the past few days of me lightly searching and reading, already taught me so much about boats that I did not know before. It's extremely helpful, organized, and the members seem really eager to help further each others' builds and knowledge. I look forward to hearing back from some of you guru's and your advice and just would like to say THANK YOU in advance for helping me!

*adding images in next post*

Re: First Boat : Starcraft Restoration - Mid 60's Unknown & Need Guidance

Images when I picked the boat up from previous owner:
PHOTO_20140317_140023.jpg

PHOTO_20140317_140038.jpg

PHOTO_20140317_140044.jpg

Moved the boat to my location:
PHOTO_20140320_201303_resized.jpg

PHOTO_20140319_175917_resized.jpg

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Holy smokes, that's a beautiful shop! And a cool looking boat as well. Have you glanced through the brochures at the top of the Starcraft forum? That might have something. .. I'll go through them in a bit and look to.

Welcome aboard! ! :)

Just looked up using the information on the motor to find it is:
Chrysler : 1983 : 50hp : 507H3D model

Images from today's disassemble showing the flooring and motor etc:

PHOTO_20140325_161204.jpg

PHOTO_20140325_161222.jpg

PHOTO_20140325_161239.jpg

PHOTO_20140325_161248.jpg

PHOTO_20140325_161255.jpg

PHOTO_20140325_161303.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

neat find! Is that an old Cadillac hearse in the first pics? It looks ominously awesome. Addams family all the way. I'm guessing she gets about 3 gallons to the mile too :)

neat find! Is that an old Cadillac hearse in the first pics? It looks ominously awesome. Addams family all the way. I'm guessing she gets about 3 gallons to the mile too :)

No it is a '66 sedan Calais model; base 4 door. Surprisingly it gets about 13+mpg on the interstate at 70mph+. Around town, yeah not so good... about 7 ha! All original motor and original carb!

SigSaurP229

Commander

Not a bad looking glasser. Yhe first thing I would do is compression check the old chrysler. If anything comes out even suspect I would scrap the Chrysler and repower the boat, Chryslers are obsolete parts can be challenging to find and expensive.

Your best bet on the windshield is to attempt to salvage the current one, look on ebay, or buy a donor boat with a better one attached. There are web tutorials on how to make one as well.

The chrysler should burn about 4.5 to 5 gallons per hour at wot.

I wouldn't bother putting a permenant tank in that small of a boat. I would buy two of the 6 gallon portables put them under the splashwell and run it that way. A permanent tank on a 13' boat is going to take up to much room and be twice as costly and at most you are only going to fit a 12 gallon in it anyways.

I would look around for a 50-60 hp evinrude johnson or merc for it even if it came on a donor boat.

Last edited:

Thanks for the response! I am seeing that most of the parts are obsolete and that seems troublesome. Hopefully it doesnt need too much and will fire up. Will have to read through the repair manual i bought and check what the compression should be but from turning by hand it may still have some life.

Thanks on the input for the gas tanks!

Went ahead and ordered a battery and a few small items last night for when i am ready to start the cosmetics of the boat.

SigSaurP229

Commander

As far as compression goes the biggest concern is making sure the cylinders are within 10%

kfa4303

Banned

No it is a '66 sedan Calais model; base 4 door. Surprisingly it gets about 13+mpg on the interstate at 70mph+. Around town, yeah not so good... about 7 ha! All original motor and original carb!

That's better than my truck :/ You gotta tow the white boat behind the black Cadi!!! You'll be the coolest guy at the ramp for miles!!!

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

For a glass it looks in pretty good shape, at least hull wise. Now if only the innards are in good shape but I would have to say with the crack in the deck that there was certainly water intrusion in the stringers and they most certainly could be rotten. Good luck with her.

For a glass it looks in pretty good shape, at least hull wise. Now if only the innards are in good shape but I would have to say with the crack in the deck that there was certainly water intrusion in the stringers and they most certainly could be rotten. Good luck with her.

How exactly do I determine if they're rotten or not? Are the stringers most likely wood or fiberglass, and if fiberglass how can they be rotten?

I've purchased a snake-camera for inspection and plan on sticking it down into the cracked area to inspect. I dont really want to start cutting up the entire floor if unnecessary.

If they're not rotten I'd prefer to just glass this area up to prevent water entry and keep on keepin' on.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

You may want to cruise into the boat repair and restorations section and review some of the threads there with stringer repair. There are plenty threads there on glass boats with rotted stringers. Someone there may be able to advise you how to probe the bottom to check for rot.

As you can see in this pic from a donor boat I bought for parts the entire hull under the floor was completely rotted out. All drain channels were plugged and the flotation foam was completely saturated. The shovel easily went straight into the fuel tank support.

You may want to cruise into the boat repair and restorations section and review some of the threads there with stringer repair. There are plenty threads there on glass boats with rotted stringers. Someone there may be able to advise you how to probe the bottom to check for rot.

As you can see in this pic from a donor boat I bought for parts the entire hull under the floor was completely rotted out. All drain channels were plugged and the flotation foam was completely saturated. The shovel easily went straight into the fuel tank support.

Ok, so that would make it wood and floatation material of some sort. I'll cruise those sections at night after work to see what folks are finding. Thanks so much for the quick replies!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Blink I would just to be on the safe side assume everything in the boat wooden is needing replaced. If you want to check the stringers first you can do it by drilling a hole and examining the shavings. Boats rot from the bottom up so if the decking is rotted then chances are everything below will be as well. Besides why restore a boat and leave nearly half a century old wood in there. I just tore down my 1988 Chris Craft donor boat, you can check my Chief thread to see what it looked like. Completely rotted out.

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am far from a boat expert, but without a floor, if you pop the deck/top off, the sides will bow out a lot. Recommended procedure is to move the boat off of the trailer to a cradle to support the sides.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Good advice except the cap is still on the boat and no bigger than it is there should be no problem unless/until he pops the cap.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I don't know if yours is built this way, but Starcraft USED to build their boats w/ an all fiberglass stringer system, w/ NO wooden cores. The deck is plywood but that's not nearly as difficult to do as removing & replacing the stringers. Yours may or may not have been built this way:
attachment_zps748eb77b.jpg

And as seen in another iboat thread:
46d8a253.jpg

I wouldn't cut out the back of the transom though, and I don't know what the damage to the hollow stringers is from. Previous repair attempts perhaps.

Haven't had much time to get on this as we have been crunching on getting the paintbooth done and I'm traveling again for work. Got a bunch of parts in finally though! Picked up a new hull light, gauges, seats, carpet, gas tank, battery, battery mount tray, bow-eye, and a couple other items I forgot about. Snagged some plugs and a coil for my motor and hope to get on it next to see if its in working condition. Also got a inspection camera to look down under the floor and see if everyhting is rotted. Looks like I may have fiberglass hollow stringers but then again there may be some wood in there... it's very hard to see on the camera still so I think I'm going to end up cutting a small section up to check.
PHOTO_20140407_155935.jpg

barato2

Commander

don't forget that you also want to check the condition of the wood in transom; not sure how you'd go about it (i'm used to boats where you just drill out a few rivets if you want access.....)

a belated welcome to the mob. i suspect it will be a real looker when you get done with it. and a good size to start learning boats with.

Last edited: