1974 Holiday 16 foot The Beginning

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice
This is my 1974 Holiday 16 footer. I will begin the restoration of this boat this winter and hopefully have it in the water next summer. You'll notice on the front deck there's a mount for a seat and a trolling motor that the previous owner put in. Not sure if I'll put that back to original or not. The transom is shot, the splash well has separated from the transom. The floor is actually pretty solid but the foam underneath keeps plugging up the bilge pump so all that will come out and be replace too.
IMAG0417.jpgIMAG0419.jpgIMAG0420.jpgIMAG0421.jpgIMAG0424.jpg

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1974 Holiday 16 foot The Beginning

I forgot to mention. It came with a complete top with windows too. It's all shot too, but the frame is all good and I plan on having it redone.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats a nice boat,I will be following along.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Welcome to the Starmada kevingr!

You've gotten-off to a great start by providing pics :thumb: :D

Nice boat and it's going to be a great project!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good looking Holiday.

All that silly-cone carp on everything, the splashwell separating & the interior side aluminum plate all speak to the transom being over due for a replacement.

Welcome to the iboats dry dock, tin division.

dozerII

Admiral

Welcome Kevin, looks just like my 18 only in the 16 version. I wonder if the P/Os were related, there is at least 2 tubes of clear silicone all over mine.

barato2

Commander

if Dante had only known about the stuff, he would have created a separate level of hell for all the folks who put it all over their aluminum boat....

hey Kevin, welcome!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I will begin the restoration of this boat this winter and hopefully have it in the water next summer.

Oh how naive..... Haha, Just kidding.

I said the same thing.

Welcome! Nice boat. We're here to help!

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice

My wife isn't so optomistic either. I just keep telling her it just takes money and time, so what's the problem! :)

plakers

Cadet

I love the title "The Beginning". I'll be following along as I have a 1975 Holiday,

From what I gather, there is no "The End"

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I just keep telling her it just takes money and time, so what's the problem! :)

No way I'd say that to my bride, she'd throw my boat away all together if I did!

Hey, welcome to iboats!:welcome:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Jas, your Admiral is letting you off easy, mine would set me adrift in a derelict hull and wouldn't even stand at the dock to wave bye.......

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wont give any advice with your wife it will always be wrong,lol

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, so I have a few questions. One is on this thread, should it be here or in the restoration thread? The rest are related to my project.

I am currently surveying the situation and a couple things come to mind. This weekend I plan on picking up the lumber I need to build a motor stand and the marine plywood for the transom. The lumber yard that is 25 miles away and I'm going there anyway so figured I'd slip the marine plywood in the bill with another project for the wife so she won't notice that expense. :)

So, first question boat related. I've never removed a motor from a boat that has power trim and tilt. Is there a book or current thread here that can help me with that? I've not been able to find a thread specifically related to that, unless my searching isn't correct. It's a mercury 850 and looks to be all the orignal controls with the boat.

Second is related to floatation under the floor. I've read many threads related to this topic and I see where people use pool noodles. Now, my kids have used those over the years in the lake and pool, and over the course of the summer those noodles are heavier at the end than at the begining. Should they really be used? I was planning on getting some closed cell foam from the lumber yard and just cut to fit under the floor, or is that the same stuff pool noodles are made of?

InMotion

Commander

Ok, so I have a few questions. One is on this thread, should it be here or in the restoration thread? The rest are related to my project.

I am currently surveying the situation and a couple things come to mind. This weekend I plan on picking up the lumber I need to build a motor stand and the marine plywood for the transom. The lumber yard that is 25 miles away and I'm going there anyway so figured I'd slip the marine plywood in the bill with another project for the wife so she won't notice that expense. :)

So, first question boat related. I've never removed a motor from a boat that has power trim and tilt. Is there a book or current thread here that can help me with that? I've not been able to find a thread specifically related to that, unless my searching isn't correct. It's a mercury 850 and looks to be all the orignal controls with the boat.

Second is related to floatation under the floor. I've read many threads related to this topic and I see where people use pool noodles. Now, my kids have used those over the years in the lake and pool, and over the course of the summer those noodles are heavier at the end than at the begining. Should they really be used? I was planning on getting some closed cell foam from the lumber yard and just cut to fit under the floor, or is that the same stuff pool noodles are made of?

Nice looking boat there man!!!

Pulling the motor off is really just a step by step process of disconnecting and unbolting by working your way from the helm backwards... there are likely threads that step by step this... but take some pics of anything you get stuck on and someone(s) will chime in and help you out.

....another project for the wife so she won't notice that expense..... hmmmm.... starting things off on the sly are we??!! :) At some point, we all realize that our wives have long since realized that rebuilding an old boat is far from "near free"!

Foam board is my personal fav... I too have experienced the pool noodle water absorption issue. Noodles are likely fine for areas that are unlikely to be sitting in water.... sides, front etc and would add lots of extra "emergency" floatation. Leave a channel down the center for drainage and air flow to dry things out.

Looking forward to seeing some progress pics as you move from the beginning to the end!

Jim

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I've got some buddies that have been looking to get together. I suggested that I may have a few beverages at my house if they wanted to come out next weekend and help gut the boat. They're thinking about it, so, just in case they do I built the motor stand. This week I'll get the hoist all situated.
IMAG0440.jpg

It's the same stand that's in the sticky post, I just beefed it up a bit. Figured a few extra boards can't be a bad thing.

dozerII

Admiral

Nice job on the motor stand. Good plan have everything ready for the heavy lifting and invite the Buds over for a few brews!!

64osby

Admiral

Buddies, beers and boats. The world is good.:cool:

Beefy stand, nice.

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice

Well, after a couple beverages and a steak we got the motor off and the floor out. I don't have any floor pictures, it was to dark, but I'll post some soon. The mice damage to the foam was extensive and the foam on the very bottom was soaked. Surprisingly the floor itself was in very good condition, I was able to get it all out for templates.
IMAG0458.jpgIMAG0460.jpg

One question I have about the transom. There is a slight bow to the transom, it curves outward slightly where the motor was mounted. After I install the new transom, and get everything in the right place will that take care of the bow? And, just to be clear, it is a slight bow, barely noticeable, but it is there.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Before the motor was taken off, was there any movement of the transom if you stood on the lower unit? If yes, new transom wood should take care of the slight bow. If no, same answer, but the wood is probably weak and the motor weight could tend to bow it out.