My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

Rather than have the rivet heads underneath the starboard, why not use some SS machine bolts and go all the way through the materials? That would also eliminate the need for those screws in the top and bottom of the starboard, making a stronger bond and less complicated too.

dozerII

Admiral

Great idea there BF, I think I'm going to have to borrow it on the Holiday. I have quite a few extra holes there as well.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Rather than have the rivet heads underneath the starboard, why not use some SS machine bolts and go all the way through the materials? That would also eliminate the need for those screws in the top and bottom of the starboard, making a stronger bond and less complicated too.

Now where's the fun in that :D

Actually this has a few advantages:
  • get to use my bending brake :madgrin:
  • I can populate all of the old holes with rivets :madgrin: ...and they'll be hidden by the starboard.
  • much less sealant (only on the rivets themselves) to trap water...otherwise I'd probably have to butter the block of starboard with 5200.
  • you don't need dynamite if you want to remove it down the road. :target:

Great idea there BF, I think I'm going to have to borrow it on the Holiday. I have quite a few extra holes there as well.

Thanks Glen!!!

lets see, it's 12:00 EST...at the pace you're moving, you'll have bracket installed by the time I send this reply? :p

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks JB!

For once, the crazy PO's did me a favor :lol:

I'll adjust the bracket height to fit my H-Bird Side-imaging transducer.

That's the same area as a trim tab mounting plate would go. Does that spark any ideas? - Grandad

classiccat

That's the same area as a trim tab mounting plate would go. Does that spark any ideas? - Grandad

Yes it does! I never really considered mounting trim tabs but it would be nice to keep that option open...I need to do a little research there.

In fact, I'll have to mount the transducer closer towards the keel to avoid the chine wash.

Thanks Grandad!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes it does! I never really considered mounting trim tabs but it would be nice to keep that option open...I need to do a little research there.

In fact, I'll have to mount the transducer closer towards the keel to avoid the chine wash.

Thanks Grandad!

Heck, Blue - With your brake you could make tabs. :cool: But Nauticus Smart Tabs aren't real expensive, prob under 200 bucks for an 18 footer.

Watermann

I'll see your 15 holes and raise you 10. After cleaning on my transom this weekend, I've decided to skin that area of my Chief with MT filling the holes and pits. Then on the inside I plan to fab up a piece of aluminum that re-skins and fills that void on the inside below the Z bracket. Back butter the new piece with 5200 and rivet it on leaving me with a doubled area of tin for secure placement of tabs/transducers/speedo.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Brutha Bluefin...

Stopping by to check your build...

I've only managed to read the first few pages, and skimmed a bunch... I'll finish reading sometime soon... Quite the project you have!

I'm tagging along!

classiccat

Heck, Blue - With your brake you could make tabs. :cool: But Nauticus Smart Tabs aren't real expensive, prob under 200 bucks for an 18 footer.

SHEESH! for 200 bucks I could get a trailer, trim tabs, OB and something to beat-on with my BFH! :lol:

I'll see your 15 holes and raise you 10. After cleaning on my transom this weekend, I've decided to skin that area of my Chief with MT filling the holes and pits. Then on the inside I plan to fab up a piece of aluminum that re-skins and fills that void on the inside below the Z bracket. Back butter the new piece with 5200 and rivet it on leaving me with a doubled area of tin for secure placement of tabs/transducers/speedo.

sounds like a plan Agua!

I may have done something similar if the PO didn't drill all but a few holes through the z-bracket.

Anyways, I know you're just trollin' for somethin' to smear 5200 on :D

Brutha Bluefin...

Stopping by to check your build...

I've only managed to read the first few pages, and skimmed a bunch... I'll finish reading sometime soon... Quite the project you have!

I'm tagging along!

Welcome aboard Brutha-bear! :yo: I have to warn ya...it gets pretty ugly up in here! :laugh:

GA_Boater

SHEESH! for 200 bucks I could get a trailer, trim tabs, OB and something to beat-on with my BFH! :lol:

You cheap bottom feeder. Maybe the cheapest! :first:

classiccat

You cheap bottom feeder. Maybe the cheapest! :first:

I'm all talk GaB. I have yet to dismember a glasser...had a chance this fall when a friend invited me to tear apart a StarCraft American...just couldn't bring myself to participate in eviscerating anything with the StarCraft name. :facepalm:

classiccat

Miserable weather here in the Northeast (southeast of most of our Canadian brothers)...the hanger is down to 42 degrees...so I got my last round of MT last night (while it was still in the 50's).

I was poking around the boat this evening when I noticed white corrosion still in the inner transom skin pits. This...after the acid cocktail that I mercilessly applied!

I pulled out the dental pick and started digging...the pitting in this vertical surface is more more insidious than anything that I've encountered on the bottom. In addition to gravity, perhaps electrolysis was most severe here as well?

I have this dremel bit (I believe that it's the tungsten carbide 9910 cutter but I can't say for sure) that sinks into the corrosion like butter and stops pretty well when it bottoms out (no flutes at the very-tip). The corrosion in this case moved laterally within the skin :eek: ...so what looked to be a little spot at the surface was actually a crater.

Most of these pits were a fraction of this size before hitting them with the dremel:

One more acid treatment of the transom skin and the inner hull war-on-corrosion is complete!!! :peace:

Last edited:

classiccat

I may have neglected to mention that the drainplug was frozen-in-place when I acquired the boat...the PO couldn't get it out...which makes you wonder how he got the standing water out of a boat...that leaked like a sieve...that didn't have a working bilge pump :facepalm:

the inside of the drain fitting is corroded like crazy...ordered a new one from iboats.com.

I have the Moeller installer for the splashwell tubes...i assume the same process is used to install the drain fitting?

^^^ installation tips are welcomed :D

Thanks for stoppin' by! :yo:

GA_Boater

Aw man - Pits, they just keep on comin'

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.

BF, I also had the same pitting in the transom, and used a similar dremel bit, took me about 3 hours to 'grind' out all the corrosion pits, then treat with acid, and fill the pits.

I believe the transom drain is very similar to the splash well drain, you should be able to install it with the moeller tool. but there are kits out there with the thicker tube spacers for .040 and .090 thick transoms and an o-ring. I haven't removed the one in my boat, so I'm not sure if its the same.

Drain Fittings Kit 020848-001 - Moeller Manufacturing Co Drain Plugs and Tubes - MarineEngine.com
2563745C.jpg

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

That's the tin boat specific drain tube setup astor. Hull is thin, so you need the spacer rings.

dozerII

Admiral

Wow unbelievable how much corrosion you are dealing with BF, and then there is the weather fighting you as well. Your getting all the cold and snow from this so called Polar Vortex and were getting temps right around 0c and winds like you wouldn't believe, had to replace my Canadian flag yesterday, the wind has just destroyed it in 3 months

classiccat

Aw man - Pits, they just keep on comin'

15-round heavy-weight fight! :boxing:

it is starting to feel like i've been beating a :deadhorse:

BF, I also had the same pitting in the transom, and used a similar dremel bit, took me about 3 hours to 'grind' out all the corrosion pits, then treat with acid, and fill the pits.

I believe the transom drain is very similar to the splash well drain, you should be able to install it with the moeller tool. but there are kits out there with the thicker tube spacers for .040 and .090 thick transoms and an o-ring. I haven't removed the one in my boat, so I'm not sure if its the same.

That's the tin boat specific drain tube setup astor. Hull is thin, so you need the spacer rings.

They're the ones! iboats has them as well. It's for 0.040 to 0.090 thick transom skins...I believe ours have thicker aluminum (0.1"?); I have a few extra splashwell tubes i can trim to fit if the one provided in this kit is too short...or i can shave one of those spacers on a belt sander.

39181.gif

Wow unbelievable how much corrosion you are dealing with BF, and then there is the weather fighting you as well. Your getting all the cold and snow from this so called Polar Vortex and were getting temps right around 0c and winds like you wouldn't believe, had to replace my Canadian flag yesterday, the wind has just destroyed it in 3 months

Yeah glen, pretty alarming amount...this boat was closer to the scrapyard than I initially thought.

The cold weather does have some merits. I'm getting a break from smearing goop in pits & there's less pressure of soft-water being right around the corner :lol:

Last edited:

Watermann

I hate to even say it out loud buddy but I know you've been thinking it the same as me... What's under those ribs... :confused: I have a fear of taking mine off, what a PITA. :grumpy:

Last edited:

classiccat

I hate to even say it out loud buddy but I know you've been thinking it the same as me... What's under those ribs... :confused: I have a fear of taking mine off, what a PITA. :grumpy:

regarding the bottom hull skin, i've been fortunate that anything not blanketed by epoxy was OK. (example, I removed the bow ribs that neighbored the worst corrosion in the boat...pristine aluminum). I'm worried that this epoxy was antifouling & contained copper.

The transom skin is a different beast...due to trapped water & probably elevated electrolysis (concentrated surface currents around the motor mounts?)

^^^ this is what I tell myself over-and-over so that I can sleep at night :lol: :facepalm: