what to do when your boat sinks?

Azlo

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Have you guys had your starcraft stranded in the middle of the lake. What to do when your boat sinks? WHo do u call? U guys carry a inflatable?

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: what to do when your boat sinks?

OK It is called A PFD and it is inflatable. Do you know how much space a raft would use.?

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

Keeping a sealable plastic bag on board with some emergency stuff is a no-brainer I think.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess the big question is why it sank HMMMM:confused:

Azlo

in a state lake who do u call 911? I guess u would need gps to give cordinates out? I know about having your stuff in a plaztic bag, like your cell etc.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

B W R thats no bigger than a seat cushion. For four????. .Inflatable, for all ,is more practical and gives you use of your hands. I never go out on a long trip without mine on. and I was a good swimmer.

Azlo

My tin hasnt sank but i have noticed that it crosses my mind alot. When i launch mine around june i want to be prepaired. Im just gonna stuff my hull with foam :redface:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

B W R thats no bigger than a seat cushion. For four????. .Inflatable, for all ,is more practical and gives you use of your hands. I never go out on a long trip without mine on. and I was a good swimmer.

Yup, liferafts can be stowed very small and come in all kinds of sizes with various amenities. No reason to go offshore without one really. Sitting ON the water beats being IN the water any day!

Here's one from right here on iboats... many such are available.

http://www.iboats.com/Coastal_Compa...5454249--**********.169123291--view_id.366493

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Can I ask a question? What good is the foam under the floor? I have a 18' Holiday that probably weighs 1500 pounds with the Hull+Motor+Outdrive.

The average cubic foot weight of boat is probably around 325 pounds pcf - water is 60 - delta is 250. So water weight is 250/325 *1500 = 1150 pounds/60 = 20 cubic feet water to displace to float.

Each piece of extruded displaces 2.66 cubic feet - so you need 8 pieces of extruded to stuff under my float to float the boat.

Not sure if this is possible!!!

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup, liferafts can be stowed very small and come in all kinds of sizes with various amenities. No reason to go offshore without one really. Sitting ON the water beats being IN the water any day!

Here's one from right here on iboats... many such are available.

http://www.iboats.com/Coastal_Compa...5454249--**********.169123291--view_id.366493
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

from their advertisement page .

Coastal Compact is not recommended for offshore use

fish

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

from their advertisement page .

Coastal Compact is not recommended for offshore use

fish

That was just a quickly found example... there ARE others, which are also small. And getting a solid definition of "offshore" is problematic as well. :D

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

IMHO If ones main concern in boating is -it may sink ,( which is very rare ) then they should consider staying on land

ruckerra

Cadet

I got a '47 Johnson TD-20 and a kitchen table. I think I'm going to try that one. Just gotta figure out the beer holder issue.:D