1977 21' Starcraft Mariner Restoration

Jim_the_Islander

Seaman Apprentice
Waterman thanks for the response, have been doing some searching, but its difficult and very time consuming. Spent half a day yesterday just trying to source rivets online.

It is nice that some of the finished threads have been allowed to add to the first post a "table of contents". Tip of the hat to the mods for that. If only everyone would do that, makes searching threads so much easier. Went to look at your V5 thread it was 75 pages! Yikes! LOL.

Wire wheeled most of the transom skin already, broke out the dremel too, still a few places couldn't reach and will try a wire brush, have to pick up some of that cleaning vinegar too. Going to try the Marine-Tex for the pitting, Not sure about all the extra holes yet though, not a big fan of JB Weld on metal due to its lack of adhesion.

Jim_the_Islander

Seaman Apprentice
Did finally get through that link after the third time 64, lot of pop-ups. That looks like the center rod holder for the rod tips.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Waterman thanks for the response, have been doing some searching, but its difficult and very time consuming. Spent half a day yesterday just trying to source rivets online.

It is nice that some of the finished threads have been allowed to add to the first post a "table of contents". Tip of the hat to the mods for that. If only everyone would do that, makes searching threads so much easier. Went to look at your V5 thread it was 75 pages! Yikes! LOL.

Wire wheeled most of the transom skin already, broke out the dremel too, still a few places couldn't reach and will try a wire brush, have to pick up some of that cleaning vinegar too. Going to try the Marine-Tex for the pitting, Not sure about all the extra holes yet though, not a big fan of JB Weld on metal due to its lack of adhesion.

Rivets online is where I buy all my solids and blinds. https://www.rivetsonline.com/

About rivets... http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...-boats/10435722-rivets-rivets-and-more-rivets

Watermann

This needs to be pounded out, I'm guessing, with three rib ends lifted up and have some sheet reinforcement added to this area. Luckily the damage ends right at the end of the factory hull side reinforcement panels which will be lifted up. Not sure what gauge sheet to add. There are two visible creases on the inside. No breeches or cracks but obviously all the solid rivets need replaced. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd think twice about pounding out the roller dents. How many years did that aluminum flex in and out to end up that way. Who will be under your boat to even see them? I would consider it to be work hardened already and it could crack if hammered on. I don't know about adding a sheet under the ribs as it will add thickness and lift them off the bottom for a ways off the end of the sheet since the ribs weren't bent to accept the sheet being under it. If so I wouldn't go ant thicker than .080 5051

Jim_the_Islander

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the link for the rivets, will check them out when I order again.

Wasn't really sure about pounding that area out. It doesn't look like it was flexing a lot, looks more like a hard hit was taken from a botched loading job with heavy weight and or high speed. Don't think I will leave it as is because it is probably weakened now. Thanks for the tip on .080 gauge though. It needs a little extra strength in case it gets hit there again. Plan on 'gently' using this boat when done but things do happen some time.

Watermann

The problem is in the past guys have started a resto thread and then start a new thread every time they have a question about a topic. That becomes a mess quick so the rule has become one thread per resto so it's all in one thread (except for motor Qs). Also you have to have guys who actively look for new threads to get them subscribed and seeing your other thread which can be an issue.