Replacement Windshield for Islander 191

USMotorHead

Seaman
I'm looking to purchase a Islander 191 but the original windshield is long gone. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to build a new one if I could find the correct or similar aluminum channel. Do any of you have any experience with this? Finding a used one would be great, but probably not an easy find.

USMotorHead

Seaman
I also called Taylor Made and they said it would be around $3000 for a custom made one. :eek:

alldodge

Staff member
You can find others then Taylor, search "custom boat windshield" or "custom Plexiglas windshield"

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Jas may have kept his Islanders windshield, not sure but an IM to him couldn't hurt.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'm pretty sure Jas' old tin is long gone. His Admiral and his boat budget doesnt allow for stuff to be hanging out long.

But maybe....

Watermann

Yeah I got his hatch cover before it hit the curb.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Even in short lengths, that stuff isnt very rigid, esp when warm.

The upper windshield, like on WMs sig pix Chieftain?

USMotorHead

Seaman
True about not being rigid. I could cap the top with aluminum U-channel.

Going to look at boat tomorrow. If it is how its described, it will follow me home. :eek:
If so...my '71 Offshore will be awful jealous and most likely for sale.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
There are places that sell aluminum extrusions that might work, including some that sell Taco extrusions (here on iboats for instance). For example, a bigger selection of shapes is at:

https://www.brunnerent.com/

Though you would have to be creative to make something that looked right from stock shapes. I have also seen 135 degree division bar channels that might work for center windshield bars in other places. Not inexpensive but cheaper than a complete custom windshield.

Ron

Watermann

The force of wind against the upper windshield is what you need to engineer the frame against. Then to secure it to the cabin.

USMotorHead

Seaman
There are places that sell aluminum extrusions that might work, including some that sell Taco extrusions (here on iboats for instance). For example, a bigger selection of shapes is at:

https://www.brunnerent.com/

Though you would have to be creative to make something that looked right from stock shapes. I have also seen 135 degree division bar channels that might work for center windshield bars in other places. Not inexpensive but cheaper than a complete custom windshield.

Ron

Thank you for the link! I was searching for just that.

USMotorHead

Seaman
​Been trying to post a pick of my new (to me) Islander for an hour. About ready to throw this iMac out the window!!

USMotorHead

Seaman
No Title

So, I brought it home with me. 1994 Islander 191 3.0 with custom made Eagle trailer. Overall nice shape, its been under a tarp for a year, so it will need a lot of TLC. Gas tank was drained and fuel system blew out. Engine was fogged properly. I have not heard it run. :eek: But I bought it off a guy who operated a marina for years and trust his words.

You can see in the pic why I'm looking for a windshield. This custom hardtop will come off tomorrow.

Attachments

• photo239046.jpg
    photo239046.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 1

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
US - Click in the Forum help in the sig below and look at the photo attachment topics. Most of us use a photo hosting site like Photobucket and use the IMG code pasting method because it is simple and works well. Give it a try.

alldodge

Staff member
That is a different top for sure
fetch

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you try the Photobucket method, the pics will be larger.