Starcraft 1984 Mariner 18, Winter project

Foxcat

Seaman Apprentice
Longtime lurker, new poster.
Ive had my 1984 Mariner for about seven years now, using it as a freshwater fishing boat in Ohio. Now, the time has come to get it back into shape. A lot of things need to be done- at minimum I need to:
1. Replace the transom due to wood rot
2. Replace some leaky rivets.
3. Add some support under the trolling motor that Ive mounted to the front.
4. Replace the flooring.

This boat was in fair shape when I purchased it and Ive never really done much to help it out, other than add a new outboard and a trolling motor. The guy I purchased it from was a duck hunter on Lake Erie, hence the paint job (Ill try to post some pics).

If time allows Id also like to:
1. Paint the hull
2. Fix up the console
3. Add a live well

Wish me luck !

Foxcat

Seaman Apprentice
boat.JPG

boat inside 2.JPG

boat inside 1.JPG

Plenty to do here, just not sure how far I'll make it. Depends on the weather and how well my garage stays heated!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to the TinDryDock, Foxcat.

We have a few Mariner rebuilds in the forums. Also many of of the Starcraft tinnies are built the same way, so even non-Mariner threads have plenty of helpful info.

Pics are required for Starmada membership or we would be charging dues. :D Lets see what you're starting with.

GA_Boater

Oooops - You posted pics as I was writing.

Oh yeah, the paint gotta go sometime. She needs more flash.

The center console got moved to starboard at some point. Maybe that helped as a duck boat. :noidea:

Foxcat

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah, Ive never liked having the console over to the side, but Im worried at the work/expense of having to replace the steering cable and outboard controls since everything is fitted for the console in its present position.

GA_Boater

It's possible only the console was moved and the cables are still the original length. The cables run through a cable chase under the deck in a CC. The cables may fit fine.

Foxcat

Seaman Apprentice
GA Boater, that is a good thought, but the cables and steering are all new with the new engine I bought six years ago. However, I'll do my due diligence and measure things out. I can imagine that the throttle cables may be the correct length. I don't think that the steering cable will be correct though, since if I put the console in the center, the cable will have to pass under the deck and then snake around to come into the tilt tube correctly. Right?

Foxcat

Seaman Apprentice
hmmmm, somehow screwed up the last picture, but it is a pic of engine being hoisted off of the transom. Ready to start removing screws, bolts etc!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the Starmada Foxcat!

Photo posting has it challenges here but if you get a photobucket account it will make life way easier for all of us. Here's the link to the instructions.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum...pload-tutorial

She has lots of potential, I like the look of the 80's models. :thumb:

fetch

I'm looking forward to seeing a forum member rebuild a Mariner start to finish. I've seen lots of them start and then they seem to vanish for some reason. :noidea:

Last edited:

Foxcat

Seaman Apprentice

ok, here's my photobucket version.....Thanks for the tip Watermann.

Last edited:

Foxcat

Seaman Apprentice
I suppose they vanish because people are ready to get them back in the water!
But seriously, I look forward to this project. Not promising anything, but will give it a good try. Ive never revamped a boat before.
Here are a couple of close-ups of issues:
1. rotting wood
2. transom separating from the frame.

GA_Boater

Have you found any cracks in the splashwell or knee braces? When one of these boats are used past the due date of transom replacement, all the forces of the motor are redistributed and splshwells and knee braces pick up the load like good team players. Then they crack and the knee braces suffer ACL and MCL injuries.

What I'm saying is a soft transom leads to other damage to look for.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Starcraft restos are showing up all over the place these days. I for one think that's a great thing. You have a good looking project in your Mariner. Looking forward to seeing her restored. Like GA mentioned when you get more of the deck torn out make sure to pay attention to the knee braces as they could have some cracking like the splash well does.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Welcome Foxcat! :welcome:

You're definitely on the right track...lots of pics & zeroing-in on structural problem areas. +1 on checking the kneebrace & other stern structure for collateral damage from an expired transom. :thumb:

64osby

Admiral
Does the console show any signs of having the controls mounted to it?

Does the steering cable go under the floor or down the side?

Standard controls mounted on the console are screwy, unless they are mounted on the left. Mine is on the right, handle label states reverse is forward but it is not. Mounting on the left is also not the norm.

The walk around space on your console will be cut in half if you mount it in the center. Some might consider the space narrow. I have a 21' Mariner and IIRC the space is 21" on each side .

Will follow your progress. Have fun. :joyous:

Foxcat

Seaman Apprentice
Cant see any problems with the knee brace yet, but once I get the floor out and transom wood out and splashwell off, I'll have a better idea. Hopefully its not too bad, but looking through the forum, it looks like bolting in some aluminum angle to the brace and transom aren't all that difficult. Of course, I'll have pics :)

Foxcat

Seaman Apprentice
Does the console show any signs of having the controls mounted to it?
Lots of holes in the console, I suppose some could have supported the controls. I need to take another look at that.

Does the steering cable go under the floor or down the side?
The steering cable goes down the starboard side, as do the throttle and shifting cables.

Standard controls mounted on the console are screwy, unless they are mounted on the left. Mine is on the right, handle label states reverse is forward but it is not. Mounting on the left is also not the norm.
I looked at your Mariner thread. I see what you mean. I wonder if anybody has ever mounted the controls inside the right side of the console, and cut an opening in the top of the console so that the hand controls peek out of the top?

The walk around space on your console will be cut in half if you mount it in the center. Some might consider the space narrow. I
have a 21' Mariner and IIRC the space is 21" on each side .
Yeah, I think I need to measure this out and put tape on the floor so I can imagine what it would be like if I re-center the console. Another issue is that I like to have somebody (wife, kid, fishing buddy...) riding beside me while a putt around the lakes and rivers. A center console makes that difficult, I think. A part of me wants this to be a good time fishing machine and part of me wants to rebuild to stock. Decisions, decisions....

Will follow your progress. Have fun. :joyous:[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
If/when I ever rebuild my console the controls will be recessed in or mounted on the inner panel to eliminate them from sticking out.

Trading out the Capt seat for a flip bench was one of the best changes to our CC. The Admiral and I can cozy up. Can sit next to the kids when they have the controls. It also added some much needed storage.

Don't want to get that close to my fishing buddies. :facepalm::lol: