who's the owner of this starcraft ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebrain

Banned
who's the owner of this starcraft ?
I would like to contact this I boats member for them to refer me to the folks that made this OB bracket?

edit I believe they reside in Pennsacola,FL
Thanks TB

Attachments

• good braket.jpg
    good braket.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Where did you find the photo? That often provides a link back.

GA_Boater

The original pic you posted in this thread, is labled as gillplate.jpg

Gill may no longer be in business or has been sold. There are plenty of manufacturers of similar brackets.

thebrain

Banned
actually a gill plate is a tubablur type braket. I tried to follow the transom thread however since the last I boats.com downgrade the links are lost. I was hopping someone here would recognize this islander, I believe this is a home made braket I'm not interested in buying a expensive already made braket am concidering a used or homemaid. My first plan was to to cut the transom like this (attached image) and use a jack plate. I plan a long shaft 25" what is the rule of thumb for engine height I've read the cavitation plate should be 1 1/2" belowe the lowest part of keel? Thanks TB

jbcurt00

Staff member
No pix attached

Might recheck wherever you got the 1.5" below the keel dimension.

Typically about even w the keel, but w the setback of bracket or jackplate, the cav/vent plate is ABOVE the keel

dozerII

Admiral
actually a gill plate is a tubablur type braket. I tried to follow the transom thread however since the last I ********** downgrade the links are lost. I was hopping someone here would recognize this islander, I believe this is a home made braket I'm not interested in buying a expensive already made braket am concidering a used or homemaid. My first plan was to to cut the transom like this (attached image) and use a jack plate. I plan a long shaft 25" what is the rule of thumb for engine height I've read the cavitation plate should be 1 1/2" belowe the lowest part of keel? Thanks TB

Ultimately you want the cavitation plate even with to 1 inch above the keel at the transom to get the least drag and ensure proper water pick up for cooling.

thebrain

Banned
woops here's my initial plan of cutting and reinforcing the transom.

the boat junk yard in Atlanta has a twin engine I think armstronge braket I'm waiting for details. They are asking $500. this mite be whorth it if it had a dive plateform and the proper angle ect.

I would also like to know the owner of this chief.
Thanks TB

Attachments

• cuttransome.jpg
    cuttransome.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 5

dozerII

Admiral
It would be possible to do what was done on the Chief, but you would have to fabricate a couple of Knee braces and solid rivet them to the bottom of the hull and transom. As well you would have to design a splashwell to reinforce and distribute the loads to the gunwales.

GA_Boater

With some Googling I've found tubular and plate Gill brackets. It's possible that the term "Gill" has become generic.

Also, with a bracket the motor is raised,it's not even with the bottom of the stern, That's because the water flowing past the bottom actually bulges (for lack of a better word) or humps above bottom line of the stern.

Do a Google image search and you will find the thread with that stern picture.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
set back of the motor allows you to mount the outboard higher... the rule I heard was that for ABOUT every 6" of setback you could raise the motor ABOUT 1".....

a 30" setback on a bracket can allow you to raise the motor pretty far above the keel

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.