14' Lund Renovation - questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantis270

Seaman
Re: 14' Lund Renovation - assembly

Re: 14' Lund Renovation - assembly

Got the motor mounted...I'll probably give it a new coat of paint later.

IMG_0253.jpg

And the steering cable hooked up then installed the console. Instead of coating it in carpet as before, I opted to patch all the holes and paint to match the hull...

IMG_0256.jpg

Now it's a matter of wiring the lights and motor then installing the trolling motor and bases for the seats.

270WSM

Recruit
Re: 14' Lund Renovation - questions

Hey mantis, great project! I was wondering what you are planning on using to attach the trolling motor support board to the boat. Looks great.:) Also, did you use just fiberglass resin for sealing the ply? and without fiberglass? Do you know what the advantage of that is over using Spar varnish or regular Polyurethane? Your project is a great inspiration. I plan on adding a deck to my 16' and am just trying to get some ideas.
Thanks.

mantis270

Seaman
Re: 14' Lund Renovation

Re: 14' Lund Renovation

Thanks ...

The original trolling motor support deck was attached with galvanized screws (4 down each side) through the board directly into the rails. I cleaned up the holes and am going to use slightly larger stainless steel wood screws to get a better bite into the aluminum rail. As a rule of thumb, I used stainless hardware anywhere I was going to touch the aluminum.

For the wood, I used fiberglass resin I picked up from Home Depot. There were a few places I wanted to add some strength (like where I butted two pieces of plywood together) above the bracing so I used some glass here and there. I really have no idea if there is an advantage to this over other coatings or what they are.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Are you actually going to want to get blood in that boat when you are done??! :)

mantis270

Seaman
Re: 14' Lund Renovation - Ready for the water

Re: 14' Lund Renovation - Ready for the water

Finally got the wiring done and everything snugged down....now all I have to do get her wet! I'll tie together and neaten up the wires around the console once I've checked everything out on the water but for now ... HERE SHE IS !

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

slbri

Seaman Apprentice

Damn you Mantis! That looks really nice! I guess that's what happens when you sit around and read others restore threads instead of doing your own. Those restores actually get done! :D Where did you get your Lund graphics you put on the boat? Plus, can you take some pics of the shored up angle aluminum you were talking about? I may need to shore up my bow area as well w/o foam and need some ideas.

Thanks as always and beautiful restore. :cool:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That looks like a really really great fishing rig. I'm sure it would have cost you quite a bit more to buy one already set up like that.

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You got a brand new boat! Awesome job, I'm going to read through your entire thread. Hopefully I'll learn something.

mantis270

Seaman
Re: 14' Lund Renovation - maiden voyage

Well...I took her out to the lake this morning. Other than having to fiddle with the needle valve on the carburator, everything went just fine! NO LEAKS!! It does ride a tad lower in the water with the weight of the deck but not enough to worry about. Push the throttle down and she jumps on a plane in a heartbeat. I am a bit rusty on trailoring though...one more reason to get back out as soon as possible :D

It wasn't exactly the best day to be out on a lake...wind was really blowing hard, whitecaps on the water and blowing alot of spray into me while running.

I got the Lund decals off a guy on eBay. The angled aluminum I used was to strenghen the transom where the motor clamps on. There are a few photos of them earlier in this thread both before and after I installed them.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Locked for editing and discussion from the Mods. Beautiful Job. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.