Anyone got Sirius satellite radio ??

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Had a rental car for a few days with this in a little while back. very impressed but our vehicles are not fitted with it. anyone know what equipment (unit, antenna etc) I would need and what you think of it if you have it yourself. Don't really want to rip the dash out and start fitting and adapting things to fit in it's place though.

sparticus

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Anyone got Sirius satellite radio ??

There are any number of Sirius radios available. The one I use is very small (about the size of a pack of cigarettes). It plugs into the lighter for power. The antenna has a strong magnet and very flat (low profile) and sits on top of the hood of my truck. Most have a couple of ways to get the signal to your radio. Mine plugs into the "AUX" plug on my radio but it also has an FM modulator that will broadcast to an unused station on your radio.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Ken, I have it and I put it in everything I have including my Harley and my Boat. Once you get it you will put it in everything, much better programming, less or no commercials on music channels. If your a Hockey guy get a Sirius/XM compatible model. You can get a portable which you can move from car to car either by moving the entire setup or multiple mounts semi permanently mounted and simply moving the unit, or you can get a permanent mount which wires directly into a car stereo.

My Wifes is a Sirius compatible radio from Jeep so all I had to do was activate it, my boat and daughters truck is a sirius compatible Kenwood aftermarket upgrade wired directly into the stereo. I have a portable mounted in My truck which I move to my Harley. Like Sparticus stated mine uses the AUX port on the factory radio. I highly recommend you stay away from the RF Modulator as I have had issues with it while traveling which it has been said that my first home is in my truck(two diesel trucks in 11 years 600,000+ miles so far) the RF modulator requires you to select a FM channel to use for Sirius and as you travel you inevitably find that your Sirius channel runs into a radio station on the same channel, also there is a drop in audio signal which can be irritating so the AUX plug is far more effective.

I would suggest getting a cheaper model and trying it out for a bit, then upgrade as you like later. The customer service is very good and not difficult at all if you would like to cancel.

The only issue I have ever had was reception at Lake Powell when we get into the box canyons so I have learned to bring my portable unit from my truck which holds over 100 hours of radio replays automatically and has the ability to use the same storage card as my phone so Its also a user defined music storage unit as well, Its a Stilleto II which I hear has been discontinued but I know I have seen them available used. Theres nothing like listening to the Avalanche in Texas or Arizona 150 miles from any major city....in crystal clear Stereo!!

All you need is a cigarette or power outlet, everything typically comes in the kit, Power plug, antenna and mount( either suction cup or velcro) and they are very small, you can make the setup as permanent as you like.

ziggy

Admiral

hopefully not a highjack.

but i'd like to add to kenmyfam's question.

what kinda fees are involved other than the equipment needed to play.... one time fees or monthly fees?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Fees are monthly or annual. Cost depends upon what you order. I currently pay 22.95 a month for Weather and all the Radio stations for the boat. Each radio requires it's own account, at least it did last summer when I ordered. I have the marine version in the boat and when I installed it this summer it could not be combined with any other accounts. My Tahoe had it built in but my F350 doesn't so I just stream it through my iPhone and output it via MP3 but that is not Satellite radio it's just streaming audio via the internet. It works pretty well though. I have about the same amount of outages due to signal blockage in the places I travel. Your location would be different so you need to evaluate that beforehand.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Each receiver incurs a monthly fee that is worth every penny. If SiriusXM ever folds the admiral and I will cry for days, so just beware of the addictive nature of it. Now that that's out of the way...:rolleyes: I pay for three receivers (mine, admiral's, and admiral in law's). They hit me automatically once a quarter for $120 or so. The one in my truck goes in a dock with a direct interface to the stereo. I have an identical dock that I keep in the boat. When we get to the water I simply take the receiver out of the truck and put it in the boat and we have Margaritaville (or Radio Disney if the admiral jr. takes over) all day. That approach saves me from paying for a dedicated boat receiver that would only be used part of the year. Vehicle installation can range from fifteen minutes and a DIY car kit to clean direct installation from a pro. Equipment is not prohibitively expensive. One can be up and running for well less than a C note (of course cost varies with equipment choice). What's your ride? You may already have it and need only subscribe. In any case, as you might guess I give a double thumbs up.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

I also have SIRI in everything. Sure wish I'd bought the stock 2 years ago at 60 cents a share but I digress...

What kind of car you have? Chances are there's a factory integration of some sort available, otherwise aftermarket stereo is the cleanest way to do it IMO.

the prices are mentioned for the first radio, each additional is $5 or something like that after. I'm always surprised people don't go in together to rip off sirius and save a buck. They're fairly hungry for subscribers, you can usually threaten to quit and get 6 months for 70 bucks or so, or so I've read on some car forums. I don't have the patience to bother, their customer service is pretty brutal

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I HAD it/have capability, in both of my vehicles. It was great, at first, now Sirius and XM are just as commercial as the free radio stations. Other than diversity in listening, I see no benefit. Thus, their soon demise-IMHO.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I've had good performance by simply placing the antenna on the dash of my truck.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've had good performance by simply placing the antenna on the dash of my truck.

I did too when Sirius first came out. I suspect nothing has changed as far as reception.

I just don't like they're going commercial. They used to be 100% commercial free-NOT anymore.. So, I dropped them.:(

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Great responses and thanks to everyone. Looks like I know what will be on my Christmas list now !!! :D

mscher

Lieutenant

I have XM (Serius's red-head step brother) in my work truck for 6 years. I think last time I paid about $170/ year. I just have an Audiovox receiver that stick-mounts to the dash, cigarette lighter power and magnetic antenna. Works great.

Can barely stand terrestrial radio anymore, but after 10-17 hours a day of setelite radio, I look forward to silence, so it stays in the work truck.

Portable satellite receivers are supposed to transmit to and through your FM radio, but the FCC lowered their power to do so, so that feature is worthless. I had to buy a little box/cable, that is plugged in between the FM radio and FM antenna, where the satellite receiver shoots it's signal right into the FM radio. No biggie, but we had to go into the dash, to do so.

Enjoy it it's great.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Portable satellite receivers are supposed to transmit to and through your FM radio, but the FCC lowered their power to do so, so that feature is worthless.
Hard-wiring thru the car stereo is definitely the way to go for maximum clarity, but if you have to use an FM modulator I suggest trying to find an older unit manufactured before the FCC reduced the output.
The Siruis Starmate Replay ST2 is pre- FCC change. Yeah, it's clunky compared to the currrent radios, but works 100% better in FM mode.
Here's an example from CL. Can't beat 50 bucks.
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/2700938699.html

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Am I missing something?:confused: I've never heard a commercial on any of the music, comedy or old time radio channels. The talk and sports channels have them, but I've been a subscriber for over five years and it's been that way as long as I can remember.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

Am I missing something?:confused: I've never heard a commercial on any of the music, comedy or old time radio channels. The talk and sports channels have them, but I've been a subscriber for over five years and it's been that way as long as I can remember.

ditto. it's pretty bad on say, the comedy channel but I only listen to that on road trips.

puddle jumper

Captain

Ken depending on what you want to do. You can get a dash unit much like a CD deck unit or a mounting bracket that mounts to your dash (thats what I have). Go to a stereo store and check out your options. What I did on my boat was got a stereo unit with an atachment to plug and play my Sirius unit. This way all I need is one account and it just plugs into my boat.

Jeep Man

Commander

You can pick one up at The Source or Walmart for $50-$75. I have a Sportster and it has all the features. I have it in the service van mostly and use the FM modulator.No connection, just plug into lighter socket. The van radio doesn't have an aux.jack. Easy to transfer to the boat for weekends. The antenna just sits on the dash. Occasionally gets interference from others with Sirius receivers as they pass me and are tuned to the same frequency. Great for when I hit the highway heading for your area or North to Sudbury or somewhere. No fading stations every half hour.

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since I received my first receiver as a present in 2005 I have owned a few models. They come in all sizes and function abilities. I understand that you don?t want to cut up your dashboard to install the thing, but I assume you will want to conceal the wiring as much as possible. I mounted my first receiver to my windshield using the supplied suction cups. Then I had an idea.

I don?t smoke so I used my ashtray in a 1999 Mercedes E-320. I found a receiver model that would fit which also had amber lighting to match that of my dash panel. I used some black foam ( like that which comes in Pelican Case) around the edges and it blended nicely for a neat appearance. Usually I kept the ashtray door open but I could easily close it for a neater looking interior appearance. When I sold the car the buyer told me that of all the E-320?s she had looked at this feature was one of the things that made her give my car a second look.

You won?t regret having the receiver, but at some point I think you?ll want to neaten the arrangement of the power and antenna wires (and in cases without wireless transmission, speaker wire) that plug into the unit, rather than have them draped all across the dash.

NYBo

Admiral

I bought my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica Limited used in late 2006. After I owned it for a few months I stumbled on the Sirius receiver function (dealer never mentioned that the car had it). It turns out the car apparently has a free lifetime Sirius subscription. I don't like the quality of a lot of music- it's like MP3s encoded at too low a bit rate kind of muddy. The commercials on the comedy channels drive me crazy. So, my opinion is that the subscription is worth every penny I pay for it.:redface:

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can't understand how you could NOT have heard them?????

I subscribed to Sirius back in 2000. They were 100% commercial free.

Now, I see no difference in commercials from regular HD FM.

The only benefit I see is being able to listen to the same channels, no matter where you are.