Finally building an outdoor kitchen .May need some idea's /help .

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
SK , that is an idea I have not thought about ... It can shine down through the tops of the blocks ... Then maybe some wood trim to hide the gaps ..

nm , Note to self ...... Mixers are top heavy proceed with caution around corners .... :eek:

southkogs

Staff member
We do a LOT of edge lighting with LED ... get a small LED flashlight or something handy and shine it down through the top of the block and see what kind of result you get. Maybe also try putting a reflective surface behind the block (shiny metal or and old mirror) and see what effect that gives.

I can keep myself entertained for an hour or two goofing around like that :rofl:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
A little progress this weekend but most was on yard work ...
I striped all the forms the other day ... Not too bad I think .. I haven't decided if I will point up all the little pin holes along the edge or not ... Kinda like it the way it is ..

I have started to rub the edges with a stone to soften up the edges ...
I also got the big burner area plumbed in and poured ... Guuna build a curb in the front and will install a mud bed just like a shower .. I put a drain in there to aid in gleaning it out from time to time ..

My little bird is still hanging in there though all the noise and construction ..
Cheers everyone !

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You can go with any standard light, colored bulbs etc. like Xmas to do the effect of what you want without the expense of led's. Additionaly you put them on a dimmer switch for variable effect.
Any colors will bleed thru the glass.Box them in to some degree so the light goes to the glass.
Ps... Great idea with the lighting.

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
What are you using the shower base for? It's function.
Lookin good Sam.
kc

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I was thinking something like this for the lights .. http://www.amazon.com/Rxment-Lighti...1461111721&sr=8-40&keywords=led+ribbon+lights
The shower base is there just for ease of cleaning the area .. This will be where my really big propane burner will sit . For turkey frying , Low country boil or what ever ... Just outside of that area I will have a hose bib for filling the pot and can also install a hose to spray the burner area out .. The drain will just empty outside ..
Otherwise if I need to scrub the area I would have to use a wet vac or bail any water out ...
Still debating the pin holes .. In a way I want to leave them but then I think go ahead and fill em ... I know the rubbing stone is really smoothing the edges out nicely ..

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Sam,
Just wondering if the lights will be too bright rather than a muted colored light thru the glass. Do some night time tests.Just wonderin, hmm. Yea leave the pits. You're gonna need to seal the top with something anyway like the stuff they use for granite. 1x a year, mostly to seal off bacterial growth from foods etc. Clear, non toxic etc. You can even drink it when you run out of your fav. bev.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I have thought about the lights being too bright .. One idea I had was to sandblast or just sand the face of the glass blocks . I think that would tone it down a notch ..
When I order the sample stain it comes with a couple different sealers I believe .. Some of the sealers your not supposed to use outside ... Being under the roof it won't get a lot of sunlight but it does a little in the late afternoon ...
NOW I HAVE BREAKING NEWS !! :watermelon:
We have baby birdies ! We have baby birdies !!!! :)
Not sure how many kinda hard to see ...Just saw mamma bird flying in food before I came in the house ..
I'm worried that when they start squawking the big dogs will sniff em out then bye bye birdies .. :cold:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Ohbtw from one who has concrete on the inside, use a penetrating sealer not a surface coat. Do lots of research

southkogs

Staff member
For the lights being too bright - test this out, but try painting the top of the block with a single coat of white paint. It should act as a diffuser.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
However you decide to cut the bottles, they gotta be empty...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I'm not much of a wine drinker ... So the Admiral will have to make the empty's ... I 'll stick with the KOB .... But those would be pretty small lights ... Unless I downed a few 40's ... :joyous:
I do need to get around to christening the MFG ... Maybe buy some for that then use the empty's ... O r would that be bad luck ? :noidea:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The birds have flown the coupe ....Safely I hope ... Not sure if the dogs got em or not ... Hopefully they are capable of flying right out of the nest ..
Here is the only pic I have of the little buggers .

Thinking on what to use for the base cabinets .. Was thinking originally on tile ... Then I thought about wood ... I have some really rough cut pine i think . Old packing crates that I saw at work and thought it might look nice with some stain /varnish ...

Tile would be easier to clean but then rough cut wood would look really nice and it's free ...
Started the electrical ... I installed a 60 amp service out there had to pull bigger wire than what I had feeding it before ...
Thought about installing one of those spot tankless water heaters for the sink .... Thats still up in the air ... Would be nice for washing dishes ...