What states don't allow kids sitting at the bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Expidia

Commander
Re: What states don't allow kids sitting at the bar?

Bar rules are a criteria for planning a vacation?? Uh-oh.

No . . vacations with less kids around is always my goal! That's why I don't vacation at Disney World for vacation. That's where the little whipper snappers belong. I'm not a kid hater, it's just I like the finer eating establishments and go there at the later hours to avoid spending $100 in a McDonalds like atmosphere.

When I someday have grandchildren, they won't be sitting at the bars!

And as to planning a vacation around fine dining and drinking, all I can say is . . . Cheers and Bottoms up :D Hic!

bekosh

Lieutenant

You would hate Wisconsin.
Here as long as they are served by a parent or guardian, kids can drink at the bar.

Expidia

Commander

Well then . . . what are the rules in WI on taking your kid to a strip club with you :D

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Oh I don't hate kids, what I hate is inconsiderate parants . . . So it goes without saying I'd probably hate your kids who would probably be sitting behind me at a 9 pm movie kicking the back of my chair :D

Couple things here... first of all, my son is WAY too young to reach the back of your chair... he's the one that would be screaming at well over 120 decibels. :D But that's why we haven't been out to the movies since we had him. One thing I very much doubt you could call me, is an inconsiderate parent.

We have been out to eat with him, and one time he did start crying... we left immediately so as not to disturb others.

Clearly your reaction to my post though, shows more than anything, that you hate kids. You can call it inconsiderate parents if you like, but you consider any parent who let's their kids come within 100 meters of you to be inconsiderate, even when you're in a public place. Like I said before though, there's nothing wrong with disliking kids. I wouldn't begrudge anyone their peace and quiet. But maybe you should just stay home if it bothers you this much.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Nice parents . . . Last weeks news carried a storyline where the cops stopped this women driver for a possible dwi and when they looked in her back seat she had a case of beer strapped in with the seat belt. Pretty smart . . . but the cops concern was next to her strapped in case of beer was her toddler who was not strapped in :D

So using another poster's logic . . . if this women's next stop was plopping that same kid next to me on a barstool . . . this must mean I hate women too since I just brought up her news story . . . and he was such a nice kid too, didn't kick my chair or noth'in like that :p

Kids are FAR more likely to be killed by people like you who are out driving drunk after sitting at the bar than they are from their own parents taking them to a bar to eat a meal. So why don't you ban bars altogether?

While we're at making a complete nanny state, let's make sure that no one even slightly overweight can go out to eat. Have someone with a fat caliper at the restaurants measuring you as you walk in... any fat, and you don't get in.

... Or, YOU could maybe try showing some consideration for others. You call them inconsiderate, but you show far less consideration for them than they do for you.

SgtMaj

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I'm right across the boarder here in VT......

Most of those ones in diaper's are the designated driver's ..... aren't they?? :D

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

You would hate Wisconsin.
Here as long as they are served by a parent or guardian, kids can drink at the bar.

I don't think so. I highly doubt it in this day and age. I know a Wisconsin cop on another site. I'll ask him. I won't give your name or anything else like that.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Humm.........

See- I told ya I was learning.

Why do Kids (or those acting that way) always pick the Wrong things to learn :confused:

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Why do Kids (or those acting that way) always pick the Wrong things to learn :confused:

Not a KID, 33 yo with two kids of my own, full time job, own one house outright, another on its way to being paid for, a small ranch, 3 vehicles and only one is not paid for, been married 14 years, regarded as a professional in my field, hold several state certifications, and did it all own our own, no daddies money. I also do not believe I am behaving like a kid either. What I was referring to is I've learned to shut my mouth when it might get me in trouble. Obviously your giving me a green light? Or am I confused, maybe you quoted the wrong person Mr. Moderator with the personal attack?

Feel free to edit this out if I am incorrect and accept my apology.

Last edited:

Expidia

Commander

Kids are FAR more likely to be killed by people like you who are out driving drunk after sitting at the bar than they are from their own parents taking them to a bar to eat a meal. So why don't you ban bars altogether?

While we're at making a complete nanny state, let's make sure that no one even slightly overweight can go out to eat. Have someone with a fat caliper at the restaurants measuring you as you walk in... any fat, and you don't get in.

... Or, YOU could maybe try showing some consideration for others. You call them inconsiderate, but you show far less consideration for them than they do for you.

SgtMaj

You know you started your first post out with a flame and now your last two posts are flames . . . Sorry to bust your ballon, but I don't converse with flamers!

I asked an honest question, but you seem to have a need to just flame away . . .

Too bad as I rarely see Flamers on this site, most here are very courteous.

Just by reading your rants I can tell you are one of those inconsiderate type parents.

So don't bother ranting anymore because I just added you on my ignore list!

SeeYa!

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

You know you started your first post out with a flame and now your last two posts are flames . . . Sorry to bust your ballon, but I don't converse with flamers!

I asked an honest question, but you seem to have a need to just flame away . . .

Too bad as I rarely see Flamers on this site, most here are very courteous.

Just by reading your rants I can tell you are one of those inconsiderate type parents.

So don't bother ranting anymore because I just added you on my ignore list!

SeeYa!

Whatever, inconsiderate you-know-what that you are...

You're the kind of person that makes considerate people, wonder why they ever bothered being so considerate. You like sit us in some crappy corner near the kitchen in the restaurant, and still expect us to pay the same as you do when you get prime seating? Oh no, we're not going to put up with that crap. That's why some parents eat with their kids at the bar... because of you-know-what heads like you. So go complain to the mirror.

As for you not conversing, GOOD! Remember that the less you converse, the better off the world is.

SgtMaj

pallister

Cadet

As bekosh probably knows, a lot of the people near my home in wis seem to use everyone else in the bar as babysitters en-masse while they sit at the bar and drink. Oh, and then they drive home with their kids in the car. I'm wondering who is anti-kid in that situation?
Cheers
Ken

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

As bekosh probably knows, a lot of the people near my home in wis seem to use everyone else in the bar as babysitters en-masse while they sit at the bar and drink. Oh, and then they drive home with their kids in the car. I'm wondering who is anti-kid in that situation?
Cheers
Ken

Sitting at the bar and eating, and sitting at the bar and drinking, are two different things. Expidia was originally complaining about having to just sit near a kid while the parents ATE at the bar. That's an anti-kid attitude right there.

But as long as we're talking about drinking and driving, why do we even have bars? I mean, is anyone (besides Expidia) naive enough to think that people are really going to drive to the bar, then take a cab or the bus home? There's a LOT more kids out there on the road who'se parents weren't drinking that are killed every day as a result of that foolishness. For every one kid that's killed because their parents were drinking, at least 100 others are killed because the other driver was drinking. Why not simply make people do their drinking at home? It would save a lot of lives... 16,885 alcohol-related accident fatalities to be precise (in 2005), that's 39 percent of the total traffic fatalities for the year. So that would be pro-kid, right? We can say "it's for the children." All we have to do is give up our right to have a drink with dinner or at the local pub. That's not much to ask, right? Anyone else on board? After that, we can ban alcohol altogether again, because some parents might get drunk and violent at home. What's the worst that could happen if we prohibited alcohol? Surely that would end well.

SgtMaj

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Parents who bring kids to bars to annoy other patrons should be flogged......;)

pallister

Cadet

If you look again you'll see I said "in bars in wis" in response to bekosh.
Restaurants that have bars in them are a different animal altogether. Many times the bar is used as a waiting area.
As for banning alcohol, the Volstead act really did a lot of good, for the mafia and organized crime. Can you say well meaning shortsightedness?
What's next, books about alcohol? Thoughts about alcohol?
Cheers
Ken

bekosh

Lieutenant

I actually support allowing parents to serve their minor children. In fact, I think that they should.

Most, if not all, of the alcohol problems with young people (16-25yo), comes from inexperience and no understanding of what responsible consumption means.

Parents should be teaching their children to be responsible with alcohol. Let them know that it is about being social, not getting drunk. Take them to the bar and have a beer with them while watching the game. Show them how a responsible adult acts in that setting.

You don't just take a kid out and go "Here are the keys to the boat. Have at it." You have to teach them.

Found the rules for Wisconsin. I was correct. Parent, guardian or spouse, at the discretion of the bar owner.
http://www.revenue.wi.gov/faqs/ise/atundrg.html
  1. Can children be in a bar with their parents?
    Yes. Persons under age 21 may be on licensed premises, and can be sold and allowed to drink alcohol beverages, if they are with their parents, guardians, or spouses, as long as those persons are of legal age; but this is at the discretion of the licensee.

Last edited:

Pony

Rear Admiral

I agree with Bekosh....

Although I am still myself quite young, I have always felt the way my parents handled drinking is a key in how I act today.

At age 18 my dad would let me have a beer with him while watching football or something, or a beer/ bloody Mary while we were at a bowling alley. I feel that by doing this, I wasnt so inclined to go crazy when I turned 21. I had plenty of friends who were sheltered from alcohol and as soon as they tried it in college they were very irresponsible with it.......some of whom have ended up in the hospital getting their stomachs pumped.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

My, this thread has certainly developed many sub-themes.

The original post was about kids being in restaurants' bars with their parents. My first thought was that's where most restaurants have their patrons wait until a dining room table becomes available. How could that be objectionable? If the facility were purely a bar (i.e. serving a meal not its primary business) then that's a different story. We coul all benefit by being more clear on our assumptions.

Then another subtopic of attitudes regarding alcohol... When our kids were born, we didn't have alcohol in the house because we didn't want them to see it as acceptable, possible leading to abuse. How much better it would have been had we adopted the attitude 'Praise the King of Heaven for giving us the fruit of the vine.' [Moderators - I am *not* introducing a religion topic, merely referring to an attitude that I think would have been far more beneficial to everyone had we adopted it.] Now, 30 years later, I think both of our kids and their families have adopted this attitude. I think it's much healthier.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

As for banning alcohol, the Volstead act really did a lot of good, for the mafia and organized crime.
Cheers
Ken

Exactly what I was alluding to when I used the term prohibition and said "surely that would end well"...

The more we talk about banning this and that (such as parents with kids in a restaurant bar... the closer we get to going back to that foolishness that didn't work then, and wouldn't work now.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

I checked with the Wisconsin cop. I was wrong. It's legal to let your kid have alcohol in a bar as long as the parent is with. I'm shocked. Doesn't really matter anyway. If the kid talks to a cop afterwords he will get a minor consuming.

And, according to the cop Wisconsin has a not a drop law like MN. If you under 21 driving and you have had one drop of alcohol you get a ticket and loose your license.

As far as drinking goes . I like to drink. I see nothing wrong with it as long as I'm a responsible drinker. And above all else I won't drink and drive a car Or boat. .

Status
Not open for further replies.