Driving Through (or around) Snowmaggedon 2016 ???

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Hopefully, when you get to see the 2nd half, it will show the Pats with a big lead! :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Good for you.

But can said it was the end of the world.

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks, guys. The " go around" plan seems to be working. We take this trip every year (usually down the I-95 corridor) and Jacksonville is usually our day 2 stop. So, we are in good shape to make our 2-1/2 day target.

I don't mind driving in the snow, so I took those parts of the trip. The Admiral has a heavier foot than mine, so she took the dry road parts. :)

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Hopefully, when you get to see the 2nd half, it will show the Pats with a big lead! :D

We got to the hotel in Jacksonville at about 3:45 and only missed the first quarter of the game (listened to it on the radio up until then). Unfortunately, the Pats stunk the place up in Denver. I think Carolina is going to be a buzz-saw in SB50, so I'm OK with the Pats not going. Manning may hang up the cleats after this season.

tpenfield

Staff member
Arrived at the FIL's house (with dog) at about 11:00 am. So, mission accomplished, and on schedule. The Admiral and I catch a flight back to Boston tomorrow, so that was a time consideration. We'll enjoy the sun for a little while. :thumb:

FloridaHouse1.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member
A few statistics from our trip . . .

The go-around route added about 350 miles to our 'normal' trip of 1450 miles, so about 1800 miles total.

We covered the 1800 miles with about 28 hours of driving, (Day1 = 13.5 hours, Day 2 = 10.5 hours, Day 3 = 4 hours)

Average speed was about 64 miles per hour (including rest stops).

the 70 MPH speed limits helped as we could maintain 75-77 mph on the dry roads.

The worst part was I-81 South and part of I-80 West where it was snowing and the roads were snow covered. Only did 40-55 mph on those roads, depending on conditions.