Driving Through (or around) Snowmaggedon 2016 ???

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Ted, my daughter lives in Charlotte NC and I sometimes head over that way on my trips between FL and Long Island. Frankly, I'd be leery of traveling through the western part of the southern states (if that makes sense) because they're so ill-equipped to handle a major snowfall. If I think about it, no matter how long it takes to clear, I-95 will be the first of the major roadways to be cleared in the south. My friend is planning to leave on Monday (for FL via I-95) and I don't think he'll have any trouble.

Last edited:

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
and take I-77 South all the way to SC and pick up I-95 south below all of the mess.

Good luck with that, the I-77 corridor through NC is in a major winter storm event ... :facepalm:

Volphin

Lieutenant
The problem with NC, KY & TN is that it has been raining ahead of the storm and now it is freezing up. Lexington to Knoxville on 75 is a mess with 7" reported at Jellico mountain. NC is not really known for their road clearing abilities either. FWIW, AWD won't do much good with an ice base. I would bring chains, extra dog food, blankets, a couple of jerry cans of fuel and your mummy sleeping bags. Stay safe!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
So I'm sitting here watching the news and the weather channel, looking at all the folks stuck on highways all around the affected areas. Some haven't moved in 20 hours. In KY there's a 35 mile long stretch that has been completely stopped for awhile. Eight people dead so far as a result of the storm. And it's not over yet.

Authorities have been saying all along to find a safe place (like home) and stay there till this major storm is over and roadways are cleared.

There's no way I'd risk my life, vehicle, family or anything in order to drive a dog somewhere.

Tnstratofam

Commander
We had sleet and freezing rain over top of what hadn't melted off from the 4 inches we got Wednesday. I know that north of us in South West Va their snowfall accumulations were double and triple ours. It started back snowing last night and we've gotten another 4 inches already with another 2 to 3 on the way. I don't know how much Knoxville to our south west got or NC to our east is getting, but I'm sure the roads are still a mess especially trying to go over the mountains.

I don't know how true it is but a TDOT spokesmen last night said the roads in East TN and North East TN where we live would be a mess probably thru Sunday. He stated that it normally takes about 24 hours after a major snow to catch up clearing the main roads.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Back a couple of years ago when Atlanta and Georgia got caught, cars and trucks were still being towed off the interstates for 2 and 3 days after the storm passed and most of the snow residue was gone.

BWR mentioned and I just read about I-75 in Ky being closed for about 20 hours with hundreds. more like 1000's, of vehicles at a standstill. Those that can will drive away after the road is open, but all the wrecked/disabled cars and trucks have to be towed away - there are plenty on that one stretch alone.

The same thing is happening in other Mid-Atlantic states. The aftermath takes time to clear. Not matter how you go, TP. you can expect more delays, not so much from snow, but the clean up.

April or May seems like a good time to head down. :D

boatman37

Lieutenant
well i'm about 40 miles north of pittsburgh and got a slight dusting. thats about it for us

jbcurt00

Staff member
London KY up and over Jellico would be the stretch I kentioned initially that leads to Knoxville. Wholloped good w snow and plenty of disabled, stranded vehicles.

I plan to stay home because I can, so I'm not watching local weather much, but 120-130mi south of Boatman got 16-24+in. Lucky you Boatman, dodged it this time.

Travel safe all

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
If it takes you 2.5 days to make that trip, through this storm it will likely take you an extra 2.5 days.

I wonder where you will spend that time with all the hotels filled up with stranded drivers?

GA_Boater

I hope you're in front of the fireplace, TP. Looks like It got to your place.

tpenfield

Staff member
Real time update. . .

We left MA at 4:00 am and headed out I-84. We ran into snow at Scranton PA. After a while it lighten up and roads were bare as we neared Pittsburg.

Currently headed to Mineral Wells/ Parkersburg WV area for the night . GPS has us at a 5:15 pm arrival.

I-77 is dry at the northern part, but we may run into some snowy roads tomorrow .

Tiring, but we are doing OK so far.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Safe travels, and watch out for all the people who can't drive even though they think their 4wd or AWD makes them invincible.

GA_Boater

Real time update. . .

We left MA at 4:00 am and headed out I-84. We ran into snow at Scranton PA. After a while it lighten up and roads were bare as we neared Pittsburg.

Currently headed to Mineral Wells/ Parkersburg WV area for the night . GPS has us at a 5:15 pm arrival.

I-77 is dry at the northern part, but we may run into some snowy roads tomorrow .

Tiring, but we are doing OK so far.

Well, you aren't warming your toes by the fireplace.

Good luck missing the bad roads.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Welcome to WV Tim

Hope 77 thru SE WV and SW Va is clearing by mid day Sun.

Last edited:

boatman37

Lieutenant
good luck. we went to the pittsburgh boat show today about 40 miles south of us and it was a night and day difference. looked like they had about a foot of snow. we took the PA turnpike. it was closed at exit 75 but we got off exit 57. hardly any traffic but truckers filled the lots at the rest stops we passed

tpenfield

Staff member
Another real time update.

I77 was in good shape throughout. So, we left Parkersburg WV area at 5:00 am and reached th SC border at 10:30. Looks like we can make it to Jacksonville FL by 4:00 pm, according to the gps

We should be able to catch the second half of the Patriots/ Broncos game. :thumb:

We went by the Carolina Panthers stadium and there is snow on the ground into SC.

Just catching up n the news and weather last night, it looks like we would have been stuck in the NJ/DE area for about a day and probably would not be out of there until late today or Monday AM