it's getting cold

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
or just getting started to.... Already find myself getting "stir-crazy", combine that with crazy and well.... lol am halfway through? going through my file cabinets and also figured out how to hook up - finally!! - my wireless printer/scanner :facepalm: not kidding, not my area.

Anyway, thought I'd post this. Was outside the front door after Fran came through Carolina years ago; pic taken a month later - and after clean up crews had made a few passes.
http://

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW, I honestly can't believe the hull AND trailer supported that weight. :eek:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
neither could I, but the portside tire was flat and I have no knowledge of how the boat faired - not mine

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Define cold? I have snow on the ground...... Stir crazy? If I started going stir crazy already they would have to put me away for a couple months. We have at least 5+ months of winter left....:smow:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
when Fran came through, I was living in this trailer to be close to work. Stayed with my girlfriend in Raleigh that night because it was brick. The power was out and she asks "how are we going to know.....?" ///// I said something about a train coming and within a few seconds WE HEARD THAT SOUND!!

We clutched each other tightly, and must have passed out or fainted? neither one of us drank or did drugs. Shear excitement of facing death, maybe?

I had to go in that morning, Public Utilities for Town of Apex maintenance mech. Seems like all I did forever was to sharpen chainsaw blades with a file. Was a good day if I got to change a sparkplug!! lol

Took me 3hrs to drive ten or twelve miles mostly by Interstate; The backside of the trailer had seven pine trees laid across and the hallway... you had to crouch down to get through. My boat was OK

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Define cold? I have snow on the ground...... Stir crazy? If I started going stir crazy already they would have to put me away for a couple months. We have at least 5+ months of winter left....:smow:

OK.... am a little slow lol have 2 brain cells left cos they ain't right!! My definition of cold is the Jan/Feb/March '08 spent living in a slide in camper while working on start up building of an ethanol plant in Hartley IA. Snowed practically every day side-ways! Daytime highs of minus four for three weeks w/o windchill. I hailed from North Cadillacky and held up better than most of the yocals.

But am guessing you're a Wisconsin type Musky and have experienced worse?

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Wow that devastation reminds me of icestorm 98 I was without power for over 2 months

WIMUSKY

Staff member
A lot worse.... We can go days with highs of -20, temp only. -40 at nite. 2 years ago if you stepped off the side of the road you wouldn't have been found until spring. And cold all winter that I rarely unplugged my truck because we were -15 a lot.... It's not so much about the snow and cold as it is the length of winter up here..... At least for me.... But it is what it is....

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Wow that devastation reminds me of icestorm 98 I was without power for over 2 months

Fran was bad only because it rained a lot during the preceding months. And of course, the tornadoes. That's what took down the tree on that Ranger, and took the roof off the apt building I was in. Had a 300amp Hobart in back of my truck at the time; otherwise, no power for quite some time.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A lot worse.... We can go days with highs of -20, temp only. -40 at nite. 2 years ago if you stepped off the side of the road you wouldn't have been found until spring. And cold all winter that I rarely unplugged my truck because we were -15 a lot.... It's not so much about the snow and cold as it is the length of winter up here..... At least for me.... But it is what it is....

How can I hit the "like" button on that!!!!

If anyone has disaster pictures or stories, I'd like to see/hear (read lol) 'em

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Well let's go back to 1998 early January. 3 or 4 straight days of freezing rain ice was over 6 inches thick all through the night all you heard was cracking and banging praying a limb didn't come through the house no power for 3 months thank god we had a Woodstove and propane stove for cooking in the end we had a brush pile that was six feet high covering over half an acre from all the broken limbs I got real a quaint ed with a chainsaw I was 16 at the time spent that whole sprint and summer cutting and cleaning up the mess as well as helping those who didn't have chainsaws got real good and fast at sharpening a saw that year

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I well remember the cold and snow in the '50s. We seem to get around 30" of compacted snow each winter and at least 5 months of winter snow. Ice fishing was good on the local lakes and river and I knew no better. We were without power for over the 21 years I was there. It wasn't a problem, we didn't own anything that needed AC power.Starting a vehicle with a dead battery was quite a problem however.