1972 connelly hook ski?

mphy98

Lieutenant
back in 72 i bought a new slickcraft ss150 rated for a 45hp but had a 70hp chrysler put on it. to seal the deal though he threw in the ski. it was a 200.00 ski back then. i still have it today, in pretty good shape soooooo any idea what is it worth today? is it a rare survivor? is there a waterskiing hall of fame or museum that would be interested in a donation of this? it is 36 years old after all. thanks for the input in advance bob

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1972 connelly hook ski?

I see good looking wood hooks on ebay -- they fetch right around what old wood maharajah's do -- $100.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Restore it and hang it above the mantle :D

To this day, I still use a wooden tunnel ski from the sixties. I'm too sentimental to upgrade.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I have an old hyperparabolic banana ski from the sixties. It is not a bad ski, but blasts your face with spray, everytime you change direction, which is annoying. I therefore use a newer composite ski which is lighter and no spray in the face!

Interestingly, when I do a jump start on that old wood ski, the inertia due to it's mass, will mess me up, sometimes causing me to be out in front of the ski at take off.

WizeOne

Commander

That Connelly Hook was a killer. I had been skiing on a Maharajah, which was pretty slick. One trip someone rented a Hook and brought it along. That thing was so responsive I spent most of my weekend with my ankle in one of the ice chests. I never did try it again, but it was a hotrod for sure.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I've still got mine from around that time period... maybe a few years later. Once in a while it comes out for a ride down the river. too pretty to get rid of and besides, If you could wear a ski out I would have that one as a teenager... Can't count the number of cold mornings we would be on the water at first light to take advantage of the perfect glass on the lake... Thanks for the grin

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Back in the day, it was Maharajah, Obrien and Connelly. My first ski, I made in wood shop, in the 7th grade. My second was a Voit V-bottom with a wishbone skeg and my third was an Obrien.

The Obrien was hot!!! It was the first time I cleared the wake and dipped my sholder comming back. You could litterally get horizontal with that ski and not loose it as long as you could hold on. Later on I picked up a Maharajah and an EP comp. Both of them are nice but no where near as snappy as the Obrien.

I've met Bob Maha and saw him last a couple of years ago. He was looking at a 36" planner that I had for sale. He's pretty busted up but still into the sport. I understand he's all about speed skiing now.

Memories... At 56 I still ski. The deep water starts aren't as easy as they once were, the turns are a lot slower and I really don't care if I clear the wake anymore. The EP comes out of the water the quickest so that's usually what I use.

ITS EP

Recruit

ahhh memories.... i first started on a o'brien world team comp, had the silver top with green bottom, way too fast for me at 11 years old ...dad sold it and got me a EP super comp 2....perfect till a got a little older...traded with my cousins wife for a EP comp1. Still sits in my garage today. Trying to get back on the water.....refurbishing a 72 glastron gt 150...HAve not skied in about 10 years...Both knees are blown out.... but gona try only 43yers old but got lots of phyisical issues.

EP:D

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

1974 O'Brien Mach 1 (note the sweet cut-off jeans and type II pfd)

119204586.jpg

1979 EP Comp X2

119204548.jpg

A few years ago we were goofing around and I decided to pull the EP out of the rafters and give it a go. It was a really hot ski when I bought it and I could really make it rip back in the day, but I thought is was a little scary compared to contemporary skis. I put it back in the bag and I haven't tried it since.

Our 1976 wood top O'Brien is still my sister's favorite and a great all-around forgiving ski.

SwivelHips

Recruit

Loved those old Hooks. Put that baby up on your wall, don't hide it away. Better yet, get on the water and rock it old school!

I still ski on my 1980 Taperflex Apex, which replaced my O'Brien Team comp -- yes, the blue/green/silver one like ITS EP. Just replaced the boots on the Apex a couple years ago, otherwise it still looks like new. Keeping it cased and clean for nearly 30 years sure helps.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

In 1971 I went single handle and goofy foot. That summer I learned to lay forward and started thinking about getting competitive. The O'Brien was gonna be my ticket.

Utahboatnut

I have two old maha's one that I use when the oldschool bug hits and one down stairs in the bar/party room i still get alot of comments on that thing hangingout above the mantle. But I kind of have a collection of old slalom skis old taperflexes, obriens, a set of grand bahamas(woodys) an old jobe honeycomb, an ep and a wood hook. Find the right person and they will buy it if its decent at all.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I forgot about the Taperflexe's. My old girlfriend had one and I used it one day and snapped it in half. Fun ski while it lasted and so was she but the relationship was a little strained after that. Seems the last thing she told me was "No Wake Jumping"... come on now, it was a Taperflex..

Minkis815

Recruit

In Response to Skibrain: I am a sport Skier and was trying to find out what year my old EP Comp X2 was. so i googled it and cam across this old picture of someone in the water with my ski. Just so you know i still ski on my EP today and love it. i am only 21 years old and come to find out my ski is older than me (I was born in 87). Wow. Is their anyone still skiing on this old bat?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have my old EP GX3 Turboglass. I plan to ski on it again, but first have to re-attach the top layer. Its delaminating.

Meanwhile I ski on a newer HO, which I have never enjoyed as much as that old EP.

skibrain

Glad I created a searchable target for you. :) I've got a ton of photos that maybe I can dig up. EPs were highly regarded in their day and toward the end of the 80s through early 90s, the Stiletto model (which I bought after the Comp X2) was really especially sweet.

Skis age, fatigue from flexing and UV exposure (or freezing, if you live up north and leave a ski in the shed where any water that seeps into the ski tends to do ugly things at -20) and eventually, even excellent skis deserve to be retired from use and displayed in a place of honor on the boat house wall. Skis REALLY HAVE IMPROVED IN SINCE 1979. SINCE 1989. SINCE 1999 for that mater!

If you insist on skiing an OLD EP, there are a couple of new, unused skis for sale here. Hot 80's graphics no-extra charge:

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=MenuSearch

Otherwise poke around on that same site and see if you can find something skiable from this century!

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

Oh the good old days. I still have a ski like that. I will try to get a pic of it. I have a jobe that looks much like that.

Used to ski the Halifax river from DBS to POnce on one of those skis..back in 79

bayliner12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when i was a kid we skied on a K2, i dont know if they even make water skis any more but that thing sure could turn, it had to of been about the mid 70's, now I ski a connelly F1X, incerdible ski

electricjohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

1974 O'Brien Mach 1 (note the sweet cut-off jeans and type II pfd)

119204586.jpg

1979 EP Comp X2

119204548.jpg

A few years ago we were goofing around and I decided to pull the EP out of the rafters and give it a go. It was a really hot ski when I bought it and I could really make it rip back in the day, but I thought is was a little scary compared to contemporary skis. I put it back in the bag and I haven't tried it since.[/QUOTE}

I still have and use my old Mach 1. It was the best ski on the water for comp skiing back in '73 when they were introduced (replaced O'Briens tunnel woody).

highN'dry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Connelly Short Line, me, behind a Hydrodyne with Johnson 135. I also owned a Hook, still have a CG El Diablo and Big Monster. My Short Line had a custom plate binder, I still have the ski but I no longer water ski:

IMG_0089_edited.jpg

I quit skiing in the mid 80s but I seriously doubt there is much today that could beat the Short Line, it was light, fast, jumped and helicoptered with ease, and at speed on a short line at 36 MPH, it was an awesome ski. And no dork shorts, we wore short cutoffs.