More torque for my GMC Sierra 4.8?

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Not all transmission failures are related to either heat, fluid or temperature.
Sometimes things just break.
I would guess half of the failures have dealt with are "hard parts".

Idlespeedonly

Heat and temperature are the same thing right?

Just checking! :boink: :)
Just making sure you are paying attention.
Good thing you quoted me so I cant edit it.:biggrin-new:
My mind and fingers weren't on the same page I guess.:loco:

SDSeville

Lieutenant
14 years old and the 1st tow...

Going to look into changing the gears too. I looked through my original paperwork and it looks like I have 3.42 gears :confused:.
IMG_2006.JPG

Last edited:

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Just got back with my new (rebuilt) tranny installed. It seems to work just fine. The guy at the transmission shop said I should not tow anything until after I have put at least 500 miles on the rebuilt transmission. Have you guys heard of a break-in period like this? This would mean missing 2 weekends of fishing (the bluefin are coming within 5 miles of shore right now:mad:) unless I just go drive around for a couple hours every day after work. Any suggestions or should I just wait it out? The harbor is only about 10 miles from my house.

BTW, I am going to go to slightly smaller tires and 4.10 gears soon.

Last edited:

Idlespeedonly

What did the rebuild say was the problem?
Do what he recommends, besides being good advice, he won't stand behind it if you have problems .

SDSeville

Lieutenant
The invoice just said burnt oil and clutch material present. I don't think they tore mine completely down. They just put an already rebuilt one in and kept the core. They did say I will need to regear or get smaller tires before I tow that far again. I Will probably do both plus get a cooler.

I will just skip fishing this weekend and do a lot of driving. I should be able to get 500 miles by next weekend. Don't want to mess with the 2 year warranty or have to lie after a failure.

Last edited:

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Stock tires would be a better investment than spending 2k for someone to regear the axles on an old truck.

A local place will charge $900 for the gears installed. Still Prob more than I should put into a 14 year old truck.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would just change the wheels/tires. Sell your old ones to recoup as much as you can.

oldjeep

Admiral
A local place will charge $900 for the gears installed. Still Prob more than I should put into a 14 year old truck.

$900 for 2 sets of gears, 2 master install kits and labor? That is crazy cheap, parts alone would $700 if they are using the cheapest gears you can buy.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
$900 for 2 sets of gears, 2 master install kits and labor? That is crazy cheap, parts alone would $700 if they are using the cheapest gears you can buy.

It's a wannabe 4WD, so only one set. Plus I got off easy with the tranny. That 4L60 has been around so long and is used in so many vehicles that they are a dime a dozen out here. Had the rebuilt one installed for $1100 with the warranty.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
It's a wannabe 4WD, so only one set. Plus I got off easy with the tranny. That 4L60 has been around so long and is used in so many vehicles that they are a dime a dozen out here. Had the rebuilt one installed for $1100 with the warranty.

Ah, I assumed lift kit and 35's meant 4wd. Now it is really silly ;)