Converting roller trailer to bunks, looking for advice.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks everyone for the comments! Lots to think about now. Not sure if I will try and make this one bigger, or just shop for a used one that I can just repaint and go. Got a used boat place that has trailers not too far from where I'm at, might see if I can slip over and have a look.

I think that is a good idea. BUT, like everything else, finding one that only needs paint and go is really going to be hard to do. Regardless what suitable trailer you find, you'll still need to set it up for your boat. And that could mean replacing parts adding runners and rollers and even new lights and wiring still. So good luck and post some pictures about what you decide to do... Remember that anything you do, do it the correct way first and then forget about it and happy boating... Make-shift projects will only lead to much frustration down the road.

dozerII

Admiral
I personally have tried both roller and bunk trailers and they both have there merits, but I far prefer bunks for my boat. I have taken two Ezloader roller trailers and converted them to a four bunk set up. They are super easy to load and unload and support the boat very well. If your interested you can see how I went about it here, starting at post 52. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...er/s/starcraft-boats/9046391-1981-18-ss/page4

alldodge

Staff member
You did a complete change of the trailer
fetch

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yeah I did. And I'm glad I did. But if you look at both of my trailers, the boat sits between the wheels, not above them.
His present trailer is too small for his boat. Take a look at where the winch stand is. It's that far up on the tongue and his boat is still hanging off the back.
I really hope he chooses to stay with the roller type of trailer. In my opinion, they just work better.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks everyone for the comments! Lots to think about now. Not sure if I will try and make this one bigger, or just shop for a used one that I can just repaint and go. Got a used boat place that has trailers not too far from where I'm at, might see if I can slip over and have a look.

In my area good used boat trailers are very hard to find. There's plenty of jet ski trailers but anything for 16' and up is scarce. Most people end up buying new. Another option is to buy a junk boat that comes with a decent trailer and sell or give away the boat.

NYBo

Admiral
I see much potential pain in your pictures:

1. Trailer size/capacity, already thoroughly discussed.
2. The center of the rear crossmember is rusted, and it's probably from the inside out.
3. That aluminum plate on the transom is probably an attempt to reinforce a rotten core.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I see much potential pain in your pictures:

1. Trailer size/capacity, already thoroughly discussed.
2. The center of the rear crossmember is rusted, and it's probably from the inside out.
3. That aluminum plate on the transom is probably an attempt to reinforce a rotten core.

Thanks for the response NYBo! If you are interested, take a look at the link in my signature, the plate on the transom was indeed a poorly executed attempt to repair the rotten transom. That has been addressed. As for the fate of the trailer, I appreciate the input of all the members here. The trailer will be replaced with a larger one, or rebuilt into a larger one, depending on which one is more cost effective. (probably replacement)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Oh MAN... I was so sick for you when he pointed that out.. I had missed it... Happy to hear you already addressed it!

Soooooooo You never answered WHY you wanted bunks in the first place....

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Soooooooo You never answered WHY you wanted bunks in the first place....

It was my understanding that bunks would give more support to the hull than rollers would. Perhaps there is really no difference, but that is what was in my mind when I set out to switch.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I see.... nope they won't AUTOMATICALLY do that..... Now, if you don't have enough rollers that's bad OR if your bunks are too small or ill fitting that's bad.

Correctly fitted roller trailers support the hull as well or possibly even better than bunks....

example, I had a 5500 lb 26' Carver on an ezloader full roller trailer..... I could pull ANY individual roller away from the hull and slide my hand between the roller and hull.... it was somewhat uncomfortable on my hand but not painful.... maybe 50 lbs... some boats with more rollers might only have 15-20 lbs per roller

I just read the first part of your build up to where you started fitting the floor... NICE work for a 'newby' lol.... You definitely have a heck of a skill set.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I see.... nope they won't AUTOMATICALLY do that..... Now, if you don't have enough rollers that's bad OR if your bunks are too small or ill fitting that's bad.
I agree smoke, there are quality built examples of both types and yes there is also some real trash made in both types
Over the years being here on this forum I've seen pictures posted of some real nightmare trailers. . Some because of the condition they were in while most because they were so poorly fit or set-up. An over-sized trailer can be just as damaging to a hull as an under-sized one.

NYBo

Admiral
:clap2:I just looked at your restoration thread. Nice work!

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Correctly fitted roller trailers support the hull as well or possibly even better than bunks....

example, I had a 5500 lb 26' Carver on an ezloader full roller trailer..... I could pull ANY individual roller away from the hull and slide my hand between the roller and hull.... it was somewhat uncomfortable on my hand but not painful.... maybe 50 lbs... some boats with more rollers might only have 15-20 lbs per roller

I just read the first part of your build up to where you started fitting the floor... NICE work for a 'newby' lol.... You definitely have a heck of a skill set.

Thanks for the info, I did not know that. As for the skill set, I had 25 years experience as a carpenter before I became a nurse, so I kinda know my way around the wood working stuff.

:clap2:I just looked at your restoration thread. Nice work!

Thanks!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Smoke, I just looked through your Wellcraft Monty Carlo thread. That was quite a project. Do you still have her, or did you end up selling?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yeah I do still have her.... I keep going back and forth on selling her for something different but can"t decide.