From a bunk trailer to a roller trailer

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My old trailer was original to the boat. It was a bunk and roller trailer. It is pretty well worn out. The tongue had broke almost in half and I had driven two pieces of angle iron down it to hold it together. I found a newer and in much better condition roller trailer that has tandem axles and surge brakes. I wanted the brakes because my Jeep would get a little pushed around when hauling the boat.
I'm wondering if I may have made a mistake that I will pay for later. The old trailer had keel rollers. The new trailer has no keel support. Could this cause damage later? Do the boats that are put on these trailers have anything special in the hull(thicker or more re-enforcement)?

The old trailer is pictured in the inset.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: From a bunk trailer to a roller trailer

You will probably get different opinions, but no, your boat should be just fine on the newer trailer. The boat before was basically supported by the two bunks. The keel rollers are usually just there to guide the boat on straight.

If your really worried about it, you can add keel rollers to the new trailer. Looks like your newer trailer is a step up for sure. Double axles and brakes and sized perfectly for your vessel.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yep.... the roller trailer will evenly distribute weight... you could put your hand between any one roller and the boat and while it would be uncomfortable it wouldn't injure you...

Look at it this way.... there are no keel rollers in the water either... just even support for the hull

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Don't see a problem with the new/used trailer. Looks like a very nice fit!

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We had to do a few mods to fit it to my boat. The boat that was on it was 18 feet long and mine is a 16 footer. I cut a foot off the back end and moved the rollers so they hit the hull correctly. I also had to move the winch post back about 18 inches.
I plan on moving the tongue in about a foot, both to shorten it, there is about 8 feet of it, and to move the winch post again. I am not completely happy with where it hits the boat in relation to the bow eye. I want the bow eye to be dead center in between the rollers and right now it isn't.
Smoke is right. It doesn't feel like there is much pressure on any one roller. It's kinda unnerving to me....never dealt with that before. I guess I will get used to it.
Thanks guys!!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

there are some flat-bottom boats that recommend against having the weight on rollers--Boston Whaler used to, and wanted keel rollers with bunks for stability; Carolina Skiff J series wanted all bunks. The edges of rollers could crease/crack the fiberglass, they said. Now with the flat rollers, I don;t know if it matters, at least not for Whalers.

I doubt it would matter for your boat, maybe you can find an owner's manual or contact the manufacturer. Or just add a keel roller or two, especially towards the bow. Anyway, you have a boat that is smaller than one would usually put on that trailer so it looks like yo have plenty of support.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

if you count the number of rollers and divide into the weight of the boat, that's how much weight is on each... IE 1500 lb boat on 20 rollers would 75 lbs each

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I for one think you did a very nice job,