Is AWD worth the upgrade on a new SUV?

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We plan on buying a boat next spring (about 18' bowrider) and are going to shop for an SUV or small truck this winter but I am wondering what people think about paying for the upgrade to AWD from FWD. Most of the new SUVs aren't true 4x4, instead only use the rear wheels if the front starts to slip. There are videos of the Honda CRV that show the rear wheels don't even turn when the front wheels are slipping, not sure if that is the same for the bigger SUVs but that would be disappointing.

We are looking at the Highlander, Santa Fe XL and Explorer. I also have been looking at some trucks like the Tacoma or Frontier where I can lock it into 4x4 but my wife seems to really want a 7 passenger vehicle.

What are your thoughts on this?

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
You could have a very tough time getting up a boat ramp with a front wheel drive. The weight when towing moves to the rear, if you get on a steep or wet ramp you will be in trouble. I probably wouldn't recommend a FWD tow vehicle at all, especially for a boat.

That said, my parents did tow their pop-up camper all over the place with their little RAV 4 though. You could lock the AWD in place in that vehicle and it honestly did pretty well. They weren't on a boat ramp with that rig, and the popup clocked in at only 2500 pounds loaded up. I used it to launch the wave runner a few times but that isn't much of a test.

As the prior owner of a 2WD F-150, I would recommend something with 4wd. In the 100,000 miles I had that truck I only needed 4x4 about 3 times, all of them while towing, and I would have paid through the nose to have it each time!

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
I cant speak to the Highlander or Explorer but I have a Santa Fe. In the case of the Santa Fe the AWD version has a slightly more rugged suspension verses the FWD which would be a plus anytime pulling a boat. I never pulled with my Santa Fe but mine does have the option to lock in AWD. What kind of ramps will you be launching from might be the biggest consideration for AWD verses FWD.

oldjeep

Admiral
If you are planning on towing an 18ft boat I'd consider upgrading to something that doesn't come in a front wheel drive version at all. The carlike SUV's are not really built to be tow machines, they are built to have a bit more interior room than the car that they share 90% of their mechanicals with.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I like the idea of being able to lock it into 4x4 instead of just selecting a mode like mud/snow etc. I'm not sure what the ramps will be like since this will be our first boat, I don't think they will be at very steep angles but I don't really know.

I've also considered the Xterra, which I believe is built on the Frontier truck chassis, I thought that most of the midsized SUVs would be ok for towing the boat since they are all rated for 5000lbs and the boat will be around 3500-3800lbs.

Tnstratofam

Commander
You also have to take breaking into consideration when towing. Just because a vehicle has a listed tow rating doesn't mean it's ready to right off the showroom floor. I have towed many different lengths and weights of trailers over the years with many types of vehicles, the 4x4 full size pickup or suv offers a much better ride, and towing prowess than any midsize suv or pickup ever dreamed of. Thats just my .02 cents. Have more truck than you need all the time. Not just enough most of the time.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have always (and currently) run a full perimeter frame full size GM RWD 8 cylinder land yacht as my primary towcar. My 1980 Bonne will be with me till I die....LOL.

Having said that, since the early 1990's my second car has been a GM FWD mid size. I have always been impressed with the way the FWD handles my smaller boats on the launch ramp. Never even spins a wheel.

My newest car is a Chevy Equinox, and I upgraded to the AWD when I bought it. Now I don't know about 4x4 and LSD and 2x2 and 4x2 and all that stuff, but when I'm in a foot of snow and I punch it, all 4 wheels start turning and throwing up snow for a second, and then it takes off like a bat out of $$$$ with no slippage at all. The Equinox is also a good second choice for the 19' Bowrider, in case its raining and I don't want to take the Ponch out and risk getting her wet (one owner, 34 years old and still a virgin).

To answer your question, the upgrade to AWD was about 2 grand, and worth twice that much. I'll never own a car without it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You are using the term "SUV" as a catch all for some very different vehicles you mention. All of the car based AWD vehicles are "Cross-Overs" and cannot be compared to "SUV's" like the Explorer, Tahoe, Yukon, and their even larger brothers. With my Yukon for example, I have the option of an AUTOMATIC selection that will automatically lock the center differential in a heartbeat the second there is a difference in wheel speed between the front and rear wheels. A standard 4WD system is either in or it's out meaning you cannot operate these units on dry pavement because there is no center differential. An SUV will be rear wheel drive until placed in 4WD. These rigs generally have a 4-LO selection as well for stump pulling purposes. To complicate your choices, some SUV's are full time AWD. AWD systems in the cross-overs may or may not have a locking feature. When considering tow vehicles, "when properly equipped" plays a big role in how the vehicle will perform. Most sales people have never owned a tow vehicle and do not understand what is needed for that application. Just recently I had a Honda sales person try to convince me the tow rating for a CRV was 4500#. When asked to prove it he conveniently "could not find the data" even through it clearly indicated as 1500# on the web site. I join the others when they indicate front wheel drive does not make a great tow vehicle. especially if you deal with unimproved, slimy, or steep ramps.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was figuring the AWD/4WD would be worth the extra money but now I am starting to wonder if the mid-size SUV would be good enough. When I think of CUV I think of the CRV, Compass, Tucson etc. The big SUVs are just too big and out of the budget so we haven't considered them at all, I think if it came down to that we would just slip the boat but I doubt it would have to come to that. Pretty much all of the boats around here in the size we are looking for have surge brakes so that should help to stop the rig, if I am not mistaken.

I've been doing lots of research and digging through owners manuals to make sure the vehicles we look at are rated for what we want to tow, the dealers are basically useless, even the service dept was no help.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I'd rather have a 20 year old full size true 4x4 than a new weird shaped minivan/car/crossover thing with toothpicks for axles

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You had better double check the tow ratings on the vehicles you are looking at.
Many of them will not be high enough.
Check the specific model, as equipped with the engine and drive type.
Over the last 2 or 3 years, towing capacities have been dropping.
It is getting difficult to find many vehicles with a 3500# + tow rating in the small or mid sized vehicles.

AND.... you need to subtract out the weight of cargo and people in the vehicle. So if the wife wants a 7 passenger vehicle, it must mean she wants to haul people or stuff.

Small truck? Who makes a small truck now days?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I'd rather have a 20 year old full size true 4x4 than a new weird shaped minivan/car/crossover thing with toothpicks for axles

Exactly. Then again for the price of the new wierd-shapped car-based thingy you can get a low mileage 6-8 year old real SUV with true 4x4 with something substantial connected to the hitch which is connected to your boat and the ability to actually tow. I want my hitch bolted to a real frame and not a portion of stamped 16 gauge sheet metal. I want my truck transmission gears and 4x4 for the ramp I pull out of

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This vehicle will be my daily driver, so I really don't want to get something that is old. The 7 passenger will be for other times when we aren't towing anything, mostly when visiting family out of town.

As for small trucks there are: Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado and some used Dakotas.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
You are using the term "SUV" as a catch all for some very different vehicles you mention. All of the car based AWD vehicles are "Cross-Overs" and cannot be compared to "SUV's" like the Explorer, Tahoe, Yukon, and their even larger brothers. With my Yukon for example, I have the option of an AUTOMATIC selection that will automatically lock the center differential in a heartbeat the second there is a difference in wheel speed between the front and rear wheels. A standard 4WD system is either in or it's out meaning you cannot operate these units on dry pavement because there is no center differential. An SUV will be rear wheel drive until placed in 4WD. These rigs generally have a 4-LO selection as well for stump pulling purposes. To complicate your choices, some SUV's are full time AWD. AWD systems in the cross-overs may or may not have a locking feature. When considering tow vehicles, "when properly equipped" plays a big role in how the vehicle will perform. Most sales people have never owned a tow vehicle and do not understand what is needed for that application. Just recently I had a Honda sales person try to convince me the tow rating for a CRV was 4500#. When asked to prove it he conveniently "could not find the data" even through it clearly indicated as 1500# on the web site. I join the others when they indicate front wheel drive does not make a great tow vehicle. especially if you deal with unimproved, slimy, or steep ramps.

An explorer isn't an SUV any more ;) Its just another car like thing.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I believe the Xterra and 4Runner are truck based SUVs which would be fine with me, wife wouldn't be as happy but she'll get over it. We won't be pulling a massive boat so I think those would be more then capable tow vehicles. The Durango's are rated for over 6000# but they are harder to find used and must have the tow package as it includes a different suspension and I think axle ratio among other things.

Maybe I should just get a cruiser and stick it in a marina lol...

pckeen

Commander
First thing - work out the weight of the boats that you will be towing. For example, a 190 Searay has a dry weight of 2600lbs, which means its loaded weight will be somewhat higher. Add a trailer to that and you would be over the 3500 lb towing limit for a lot of the small 'suv's' - crossovers. A Lund 1875 Pro-V, boat motor and trailler will weigh around 2900 - 3000 lbs. With that, you will be at (and maybe over) the 3500 lb towing limit. On the other hand, a number of older boats may be lighter - like my 68 Holiday, which weighs in loaded at around 2500 lbs with the trailer and motor.

Next thing - check the towing capacity of any vehicle you will be buying and make sure it will be big enough. When I was buying a TV (admittedly 5 years ago), I compared the fuel mileage of the full size trucks, with their smaller counterparts - then there was a fairly minimal difference, so I went with the full size.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Maybe I should just get a cruiser and stick it in a marina lol...

You can buy a fully loaded Lincoln Navigator and come out WAY ahead :)

As others have said just check the tow ratings, and then pad it. You want your tow vehicle to easily handle the load, it just makes life easier. How far do you plan to tow the boat is a factor as well. If you are going to use it at a local place that's close the vehicles you listed will probably be just fine. If you plan to head out long distances and may have a lot of hills or other unknown terrain you might want to consider the truck based SUV's.

I forgot that we used a Chevy Equinox to tow a 19.5 foot fish and ski for a few years and that thing did great. It wasn't the best vehicle overall, but it had no issues towing.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Most of the boats we are looking at will be around 3500-3700lbs so I was figuring 4000 minimum to be on the safe side. All the SUVs we have considered are rated for at least 5000. The smaller trucks seem to be at least 6000. Not sure if we are ready to make the jump into a full size truck.

The huge majority of the time we will be less then an hour away from home and it's not very hilly.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Seeing as this is your first boat I'd suggest getting something that will tow it and makes your wife happy. Go for the all wheel drive that you can lock in if need be on a ramp. If you really enjoy boating and use it a lot you'll be able to make that decision if a better tow vehicle will make boating more enjoyable.

Most responders are on here are die hard boaters (like myself) and sacrificing 3rd row seating for better towing is a no-brainer. However, I have watched people go all-in on boating, camping etc, not really enjoy / use it and be stuck with a lot of expensive equipment. Start small, work your way up, and it sounds like you are.

You may be like my parents with camping. I put a popup behind their RAV4 6 years ago so they could try out RV'ing. 4 campers and 3 tow vehicles later they have a diesel truck and a 32ft fifth wheel. Or, you might end up selling the boat and at least you have a vehicle that still fits your needs.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The only reason I am replacing my van is to get a boat so I don't want to get stuck with something crazy (size and $ wise) if we end up not wanting to boat. I boated as a lot as a kid/teenager but this is all new to my wife so who knows if she will like it.