New tires won't hold air

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: New tires won't hold air

There aren't any electric motors running right next to your tires are there?

Also not sure why, I have heard that a hot humid climate is worse than hot dry. Intuitively, that sounds opposite of what I would think it would be though.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral

There aren't any electric motors running right next to your tires are there?

Also not sure why, I have heard that a hot humid climate is worse than hot dry. Intuitively, that sounds opposite of what I would think it would be though.

Well, the climate in Naples sure eats up tennis shoes.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

As I stated, I have had whole shipments of Kenda or Carlisle tires develope cracks in the ISO container between china and Wisconsin in the 6 weeks while on the water. I have no doubt that your tires cracked under your workbench.

jcfitzgerald

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like ozone induced rot from proximity to a sparking electric motor or some other gaseous phenomenon.

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like cheap crap.......I know the small stuff is awful. just made like junk that it is. glad my stuff is all 15inch rim

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

sounds like cheap crap.......I know the small stuff is awful. just made like junk that it is. glad my stuff is all 15inch rim

Don't be so sure. We had a set of 15 inchers blow up the second year with all garage storage. They didn't look bad either. OTOH our 12 inchers are considerably older and still holding up. ALL chinacrap is crap.

MikDee

Banned

Do you happen to live near a Nuclear powerplant? :lol:

My sentiments exactly, is there anything Not made in China nowadays??? :rolleyes:

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well, I simply couldn't wait any longer to update...

I have Kenda Loadstar 550's on my trailer. 16" D load rating. Recommended air pressure is 65 psi.
On October 16th last year, trailer got parked and I aired them to 65. Five months later after a record breaking winter of extended sub zero temps, I check the tires with TWO expensive air gauges. All four tires lost exactly 4 psi each. The way the boat is parked, the port side tires are in the sun all winter long, and the starboard side NEVER sees the sunlight. These tires show absolutely no sign of aging whatsoever. I feel like I must have got the last batch of quality tires in America. And they are made in China. Funny thing is, I have Kenda's on the tow vehicle too; they are also three years old, and show no signs of aging. I think I'll go play the Powerball now. :D

Sashav

Cadet

I have bad experience with Chinese tires - they don't last more than an year. My last tires are Czech and the quality is definitely higher.

junkpile

Cadet
I realize this is an old post but since I never came back here about what tires I bought and how they worked out I'd like to do that now.
I bought 6 new Kenda Loadstar tires at a local TSC, they were date coded 11/13 (4.80x12) and 1/14 on the 175/80D13 tires.
Due to personal reasons neither boat has seen much use over the past three seasons, none at all this season till this week.
When I dug the smaller boat out of the garage last week to get it in shape for a day on the lake I checked the tires and tire pressure on both trailers.
Both had lost air, and were sitting around 10 to 12 psi. But they were sitting on jackstands off the ground in the garage.
(My new truck doesn't fit in the garage so the smaller boat gained an indoor storage spot).
I took the boat out the other morning, spent all morning fishing and came home. I backed the trailer in, and hosed everything off. I gave the tires a good scrubbing to get any mud from the ramp off them. I let it all sit outside for a few hours to dry. When I went back out to push the boat back into the garage, I took a close look at the tires again while picking a few pebbles out of the tread. Both tires developed cracks in the sidewalls and between the tread, I hadn't taken the spare with me since the lake is only a mile or two down the road, so I dug that out of the garage and its not much better, it was completely flat and the bead was unseated from the rim. It was put away on a wood shelf up high on top of the 13" spare for my other trailer. When I got a good look at the other trailer those tires were also cracked but in a different way, the 13" tires have cracks that go in all directions, the 12" tires are cracked only parrallel with the rim, there are cracks near the bead, and where the tread meets the sidewall, and along the middle of the sidewall. The 13" tires have cracks that look like a dry lake bed.

These were stored in the garage, no windows, off the ground with no heat, no motors in the garage other than the air compressor in the corner which hasn't run more than a dozen or so times in the past 3 years.

With all this said, I also have a 16' car trailer, last October I bought new tires for that trailer as well, those were also Kenda Loadstars but in 8-14.5" LT size. The tires are dated 4/16. They too are showing major cracking, one tire started to come apart on a 50 mile ride last week, the tire grew in size along the middle row of tread and its got thousands of little S shaped cracks all over it. The rest all look the same, with sidewall cracks but nothing like the one that I had to take off.
These are 12 ply commercial trailer tires.
I can't say I have much faith in Kenda tires right now. The problem is I'm having a tough time finding anything else. The local choices are still Kenda or Hi Run or any various brands if you want old stock. One dealer had Duro trailer tires that were dated 4/08 just last week. They've been stored in a dusty, dry trailer stacked flat. I can't imagine trying to mount a tire that's been smashed flat for years like that let alone its not likely to last very long.

I talked to a tire rep who sells to a local tire shop the other day and he said my issue is speed, he said that most trailer tires are only rated at 45, 50 and 65 mph. The tires on my car trailer are only available in a 50 mph rating. The Kenda tires have a G speed rating according to him, but there's nothing on the tire that says this. Without a doubt, if that's true, they've been run at 65 mph down the highway nearly every time out of the yard. I can't imagine taking a trip to pickup or deliver a car and going only 50 mph on the interstate. I'd likely cause an accident, or a traffic jam at the very least. As it is going only 65 mph I get passed like I'm standing still out on I76 through Philly.

So after almost 4 years I'm in the same boat I was back when I started this post, all my trailers have dry rotted tires that need replacement. I may have 15 miles on the boat trailer tires tops, they still have their little nubs on them.

Someone asked if I had electric motors nearby, I don't, but I do have power lines that cross behind my property, the main transmission lines for the town run behind this row of houses, 36KV running both above and underground about 20 foot behind my garage.
Now with this in mind, I got 13 years out of the Michelin tires on my Lincoln Town Car, and my 1994 Ford Pickup has its original tires that show no signs of age at all. My F350 came through with Michelin LTX AT2 tires, how long they last is yet to be seen as its only 8 months old.

reelfishin

Captain
You did good getting three years out of those tires, my last few sets of tires only lasted 2 years before getting so cracked and dry they had to be replaced.
The brand doesn't seem to matter much. I did have a real run of bad luck about four years ago with Marathons and Carlisles but I haven't tried them lately.
I have Kenda Loadstars and Kenda Road Runners, (older version) on a few trailers and those made in China are cracked up pretty bad, those made in Taiwan are still okay. I can't say I've seen much difference between most of the Chinese made tires. The problem is though that nearly all tires come from China now. I don't think there are any US made trailer tires these days.
I do try to go with the heaviest tire I can find, its a harsher ride but they're less likely to blow out if you hit a pothole.

If your car trailer is running 14.5" tires,make sure they don't say Motorhome use only on the side. Those that do are likely built for one time home delivery, they don't last and can't take highway speeds. (Just think, you never saw a house going down the road at 50 mph have you, they crawl along at slow speeds so as not to damage the house they're carrying.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Junkpile, you started this topic, so the 90day rule doesnt apply.

Post here as often or infrequently as you want.

oldjeep

Admiral
Weird, the tires on my trailer are 5 years old and have no drying or cracking. Never had any issue getting 8 years out of a set. Seems like there is something weird environmentally going on.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Do't know the accuracy of this, but I found it at http://car-storage.com/article/tire-dry-rot/ (and I've read it elsewhere, too):

"The rubber compound that makes up a tire contains a protective wax that is intended to protect the tire from oxidation. The protective wax provides protection when it reaches the surface of the tire through a process called ?blooming?. Blooming is a process where protective wax works its way to the surface as the rubber tire flexes and compresses during use. When the tire is not in use the wax protection left at the surface from the previous use is consumed by oxidation, leaving the tire unprotected. When a tire is not in use the protective wax is not replenished because blooming only occurs when the tire is in use. Therefor tire degradation can vary depending on how often the tire is used."

reelfishin

Captain
I don't know if wax is the right word but Blooming refers to the antiozone protectant in modern rubber coming to the surface and turning the tire brown.
While I can imagine its part of the aging process, how about older tires that have survived over time. Like the OP stated, he's got a pair of really old Goodyear tires that are fine even after sitting out in the yard for years. I too have several like that which never seem to rot.
The difference has to be in the rubber compound, as in what are they leaving out.
I do notice that certain brand tires bloom more than others, I put a new set of Uniroyal tires on my car last fall and they keep turning brown, the same goes for two pair of more recent Kenda Loadstar tires I bought. They turned brown almost the instant they were installed. I can clean them and get them back to black but they turn brown again just sitting there.

I own a 1994 Ford Ranger, its got only 26K on it and it sits outside most of the time. The tires on it came with it when new. They have no cracks, no signs of bad aging. Since I don't drive it far these days and never at high speed I've left those tires on it for now. But why didn't they dryrot?

I can't help but think this is more a case of planned obsolescence than just normal degrading of rubber. If they were able to make them last before, why not now?
They sure didn't get any cheaper.

Kenda tire as a company has been around for decades, I remember the brand from bicycle tires and motorcycle tires as a kid. .They were one of the better brands back then.
Its no secret that ST rated tires don't last, anytime I can I run LT tires. However that's not possible in the smaller sizes.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I posted to this thread 3 years ago, so I have an update as well. 4 years ago when I deliberated on which tires to buy, I ended up with Kendas. Today they look like brand new, have no sidewall cracking and I can't remember if I ever added air to them. They are still at full pressure.

Conditions are inside storage, no sun contact, riding on the floor with no support, and when the boat goes out I feel no thumping.

Caveat - they are bias ply, not radials. Based on personal experience and that of others I wouldn't put a chinacrap radial on any trailer I own (as long as bias were available or LT tires met the weight limit).

My new boat this year came with bias as std, and radial as an option. We'll see how those bias tires hold up...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
My Kenda radials are 3-4 years old and they still look great. They get several thousand miles a year but are stored in the garage most of the year.

junkpile

Cadet
It looks like my only real choices are Kenda. Hi Run, or Tow-Master. In Kenda they have Loadstar, Karrier, Carrier Star, and Road Runner trailer tires.
I could only find Tow-Master in 13" and larger, and I didn't bother even looking at the Hi Run tires after reading so many horror stories online about them coming apart.
The Loadstar tires look the best but those are the same tires that I had bought before.
One thing I did notice is that they now say Taiwan on the side not China.
The Kenda Loadstar and Road Runner tires share the same tread, the Karrier and Carrier star have sawtooth tread.
The Road Runners say China on them.

I've heard conflicting reports about the Tow-Master tires from Greenball, some say to stay away from their China tires but that's all I've seen around here.
I've also heard that they tend to get bubbles and blow outs. We had a few on an equipment trailer at work and they didn't last the season, they all blew apart sooner or later but those were 14 ply low boy tires not boat trailer sized tires.

About two years ago I bought a new trailer for my 12' boat, it came with new Kenda 4.80x8 tires on it. I towed it from my old house to here once, and basically hung it from the rafters in the garage above my other boat. I checked those tires and they look fine, but they don't say Loadstar, just Kenda on them. The problem here is that when I spun one wheel with the trailer hanging there I see one tire is badly out of round. It didn't grow a lump, its just not round. Its sort of egg shaped. The right side is fine. Both of those tires had lost nearly all their air, the left one that's our of round had about 10 psi, the right tire about 22. They were pumped up to the recommended 80 psi when it was put away two years ago.
The matching spare, which has never seen pavement, and was hanging on the wall in a canvas bag and is much older and from my last trailer, was fine, it had 39 psi in it and its got a 50 psi max. That tire is branded Dayton on the side, its from one of my earlier trailers from years gone by. It still looks new.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
My Kendas are Karrier radials. The boat seems to pull and corner more smoothly than when I had bias ply tires.