New tires won't hold air

junkpile

Cadet
Does anyone make tires these days that don't dry rot and crack after a season or two?
I went out back and uncovered one of my boats today and found both tires flat with the bead unseated.
They were bought new last summer, I last used this thing in early November. When I parked it, I set the air pressure at 60psi, and put the tires up on blocks, well off the ground and covered the whole boat.
When I reseated and pumped up the tires, both have dry rot cracks all over, especially where they sat flat.
I bought them new, had to order them, back in July, two new tires with galvanized rims.

When I ordered them, I tried to find American made tires but all I could find it Kenda Loadstars.
At the same time I bought a set for my Starcraft, a set of 175/13ST radials, they too are badly dry rotted and those won't even hold air, all four sidewalls are leaking out the cracks. The date code on the 12' tires are 335, the date code on the 13" tires are 0311. Both pair were bought last July on new rims.
When I called the tire dealer I was told that its the UV light that cracks the tires. Well, the boat sits under a carport, with a cover that reaches the ground on all sides, the smaller boat is in a garage/lean too out back, short of removing the wheels after each use and wrapping them up in brown paper and storing them in the house, there's not much else I can do.
I called Goodyear, I was told they don't make small trailer tires, and local dealers have all dropped Carlisle for some reason, all carry only off brand tires.

I've got 20 year old tires that don't leak, they may not be pretty but they don't leak air just sitting.
I've got two Carlisle tires on a utility trailer, both tires were new in 1992, both look like new, no cracks, and that thing sits out in the yard year round, in the sun with no issues. I've towed old boats away that have sat for decades by just pumping up original tires and they almost always hold air just fine, yet newer tires don't seem to even hold air after a very short time. I've had brand new trailer tires, all import that showed cracks between the tread bars when fully inflated after only a few months.

When I bought the Kenda tires, I looked all over for Carlisle tires but they were either way too much money or too far away. Shipping two rims and tires from one source came close to what the trailer cost new wholesale.
Does anyone make a tire that'll last longer than a season or two?
I've had Loadstar, Hi Run, H188, and a few others and all dry rot beyond use in under two years. The new spare on my one trailer blew apart sitting in the shed, that trailer was new in 2011 and came with Loadstar tires.
For someone that doesn't trailer more than maybe 40 miles per year to the ramp total all I need is tires that will hold air, apparently they can't even make a tire to do that anymore. There's no reason for two new tires on new rims to lose all air and deflate just sitting after only a few months. I've got collector cars that sit for years and the tires don't go flat, what's up with trailer tires these days? If I have to buy new tires for every trailer I own every season, I'd go broke, I'd be spending a few grand in rubber every year. I'm to the point where I think I'm better off just going to passenger car tires and not having to replace them every year, if I can find American made tires in those sizes.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: New tires won't hold air

iboats sells goodyear tires and others tire

Yes I would suspect a better tire life as you do.

If I have to leave a boat parked for an extended time.....I cover the tires and place a block under the axle to take the weight off the tire and directly to the trailer.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

so what do the date codes mean? supposedly 5 years is the shelf life of a tire, whether it's used or not.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Kenda and Carlisle are both mostly Chinese made tires, some are Korean made. you have to check the date code and the country code. Both Kenda an Carlisle put the required country code in very light print and in the bead area. They rot quick because there is less and less natural rubber in them, and more and more filler material. Half of them loose air in the ship contrainer.

Goodyears are made in the US

Passenger car tires do not have the sidewall needed to support the weight. However some LT truck tires in a D or E load class do.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

how about some guidance on how to find/read date codes on tires?

thanks in advance

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Kenda and Carlisle are both mostly Chinese made tires, some are Korean made. you have to check the date code and the country code. Both Kenda an Carlisle put the required country code in very light print and in the bead area. They rot quick because there is less and less natural rubber in them, and more and more filler material. Half of them loose air in the ship contrainer.

Goodyears are made in the US

Passenger car tires do not have the sidewall needed to support the weight. However some LT truck tires in a D or E load class do.

My experience is that the Kenda tires hold up better than any of the others. LoadRite uses them as oem.

Last year when i bought new tires I personally called Goodyear and talked to the eastern regional manager. He said none were USA made.

Sidewalls, schmidewalls. If the load rating of the tire is sufficient, a car tire will be just fine. My last TeeNee came from the factory with P series auto tires. It was a tandem and the load rating x 4 was 20% above the gross laden weight. At least the auto tires don't self disingtegrate in a year!

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

While it may be a fluke i am starting my third year on kendra tires on my toon trailer and their in fine shape.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

While it may be a fluke i am starting my third year on Kenda tires...and they're in fine shape.

Yeah, I must be the second luckiest guy in the world, because my three year old Kenda's look brand new as well, and have zero issues with holding air, sidewall cracking, UV damage etc. I really don't understand these threads about trailer tires just disintegrating for no apparent reason. I've put only 600 miles on mine in three years, and have only had to add air twice! That was at the beginning of each spring season after sitting all winter long. And all four of them dropped exactly 5 psi each. That is strictly a weather related loss of air pressure. When I check them coming up here in April...I'll revisit this post with an update of much air I had to add, if any.

Sorry for the OP's bad luck...but I just can't believe that manufacturers are deliberately cranking out tires made with sawdust and Elmers school glue! If it really was a problem, the gooberment and other consumer advocacy agencies would be going ape grapes over this.

starcraftkid

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've had horrible luck with Loadstar tires lately, my 2005 Load Rite came with them, I replaced them with the same tire/wheel assembly in 2011, those tires are now flat and won't hold air. The boat/trailer are parked on a concrete pad under roof with canvas tire covers from an RV on each wheel.
The sidewalls look like a dried up desert. The tires are stamped 311.
I've got a small utility trailer that came with Loadstar tires four years ago, both tires are cracked to the point they would most likely split open if inflated to full pressure. I never liked how much the Kenda tires round out when inflated to the rated pressure.
I called Goodyear a few months ago, got nowhere as far as an answer as to where to buy US made tires, a local dealer's tire rep called and told me that Goodyear no longer sells small trailer tires.
I was just at a local tire dealer who does a lot of trailer tires and nearly every tire on the rack was dated 2011 or older. I found one pair of 14" tires dated 3/2013.
They were unloading tires and those were right off the truck from their supplier.
I've given up on trailer tires on many of my lighter trailers, they just don't last. Automotive tires just last longer.
Like the OP, I don't trailer very far, I figured that most of my boat trailer tires never see more than 100 miles or so before they dry rot or fall apart.
I had a tire blow out on a CL freebie boat a few years ago, I stopped at a local trailer shop near where I got the boat and bought two new tires, both 8", they were on the "Clearance table" and made by Goodyear. I scrapped that boat and stuck the trailer out back as a spare, the tires are inflated to 80 psi, and are holding air fine. I was told by the Goodyear rep I spoke too that they hadn't made those tires for 30 or more years. Those tires still look new, have no rot and don't lose any air. I pumped them up when I got them, and haven't touched them since. The tires on my new trailer under my one Starcraft dry rotted and went bad in three years.

oldjeep

Admiral

Never had any issues with Kendas.

Modern Goodyear Marathons seem to be universally hated by everyone who got them stock on a Malibu trailer.

junkpile

Cadet

I called around today, nothing but Kenda Load Star tires, not a single dealer had a tire that he could guarantee wasn't more than a year or more old. Most were over 5 years old or date coded the same as those I have that dry rotted.
Goodyear told me that they do not make a 12" trailer tire. One dealer can order Carlisle but said they strongly don't recommend Carlisle if I'm having dry rot issues. They didn't explain beyond that statement.
I'd mail order them here but the shipping will cost me as much as another tire, I need to find rims and tires locally, or at least within driving distance. I need 4 pair of tires, the same sets I just replaced, plus a few spares. I suppose I could just tube one of the cracked tires but at the rate they rotted, I don't think tubes would last very long once the sidewalls open up.
Something I noticed after going to one trailer dealer today, the new tires on the rack, on rims, aren't nearly as rounded out across the tread as mine are when fully inflated, mine look like balloons ready to pop at 40 psi, I had them pump one up to the rated 60 psi and the tire kept its shape. Mine expand like balloons, opening cracks between every row of tread and all over both sidewalls. I have little doubt if I put the recommended 60 psi they'd burst within a few hours or sooner. I can see the casing between the tread. When I deflate the tire, the cracks are almost invisible, the rubber otherwise looks and feels fine.

The 13" tires though are so dry I can see thousands of cracks even in the tread lugs, those are actually turning gray and are rough to the touch, yet they do not deform like the 12" tires do.

I've had Chinese tires on my truck before, still do in fact, the set of Hankook Milemaster tires on my pickup still look new after 8 years, with only a few hundred miles on them, no signs of any cracks. They were the cheapest tire I could find at the time and they turned out to be a decent tire. They're a little soft in the sidewall for a truck tire but they don't leak, and don't shake.

They've got to realize that most trailers sit more than their run down the highway, you would think they would take extra measures to make them more resistant to dry rot.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

things to keep in mnd when trading stories on whose tires lasted and whose didn't:

I've had them last 10 years or more with no issues and little regard to maintenance or storage (my bad). Driven around with cracks. That proves nothing. Luck, light loads, smooth roads, easy short infrequent trips, salt water dips, temperate climate, who knows. Could be anything.

Underinflating is the primary killer and they require a surprisingly high PSI, like 55 in many cases. And you can't tell by looking at them.

Getting away with car tires is like me getting away with over 10 years--means nothing. But here's the difference: boat trailer tires are subject to greater roll (sidewall) stress on turns due to centrifugal forces. Thus trailer tires are better to have both correct construction and correct inflation.

Parking for extended time is not a problem; any flat spot rolls out. better to just move them around.
Water/moisture is harmful over time; parking on grass/dirt is not as good for the "rubber" as being on a stone surface that drains. I wonder if pressure treated boards create an issue from the chemicals?

Direct sunlight is an issue so it's preferable to have them shaded, but not covered in a way that traps moisture. Even just leaning a piece of plywood against them might help. And consider having the spare mounted vertical rather than horizontal unless it's up under the boat.

What's hard is that unlike cars with more mileage, and you see when you need to replace due to wear, trailer tires seldom wear out and it's hard to pay to replace one that the tread looks like it has a lot of life left in it--it's just how we think.

oldjeep

Admiral

"When I parked it, I set the air pressure at 60psi, and put the tires up on blocks, well off the ground and covered the whole boat.
When I reseated and pumped up the tires, both have dry rot cracks all over, especially where they sat flat. "

well off the ground ..... where they sat flat... :confused: :confused: :confused:

He jacked it up and put the blocks under the tires instead of under the axles.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

In the last 2 years I mail ordered tires for 2 of my trailers and goit them cheaper than local. I found that buying the tire/wheel combo was cheaper than just a tire and paying for mounting. They mounted them for free and included a free valve stem. The shipping wasn't really that much, and I saved sales tax. I then sold the old tire/wheel on CL and recouped 25% of my investment. It was a high volume dealer and the tires were all only a few months old. I'll never buy trailer tires local again!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

My brother is a used car dealer. He has 2 local tire shops that he buys tires through so I always get mine through them. They both do huge volumes and can get almost any tire brand I want in a day. The prices I get my tires for are so much lower than you can do mail order for its not even close. There is a huge mark up for the retail buyer.