Tire pressure---- Do you feel lucky, punk?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
No question, just something the trailer subforum might enjoy! So, punk, do you feel lucky?! Tire is rated at 940 lbs - 50 PSI, but only if you risk death by going past 32 psi.

(so if you really want to know, this is on a snowmobile trailer, 50 PSI is more or less the norm, so I inflated to about 45 carefully, with my body well out of the way.)

tire2.jpg

tire1.jpg

sam60

Captain
Re: Tire pressure---- Do you feel lucky, punk?

Does the trailer have 5 tires or 6........

I Gots'ta Know.......:eek:

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The 32 psi is the pressure not to be exceeded if the bead has not been seated. Once the bead is set your perfectly safe going to the max pressure.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

You misread it.... the first few words are the key "Unless beads are seated"... what it means is do not exceed 32 psi to seat beats (the pop, pop you hear when first airing up a new tire) ... after that go on up to 50 psi... if the bead doesn't seat by 32 psi you deflate and re apply lube n try again

oldjeep

Admiral

Yup, and if you have ever tried to seat a bead too quickly then you know why the warning is there ;)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Also why you should take the valve core out before airing the tire. To quickly relieve pressure if it's not too late.

Splat

Lieutenant

I thought you always used either and a lighter to seat a bead.... You guys actually use air?!?!?

Bill

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Does the trailer have 5 tires or 6........

I Gots'ta Know.......:eek:

Well it had 6 but then Sam just had to push it to 33 psi. Now it only has 5. :lol:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

50 isn't really all that much, mine are at 70.

oldjeep

Admiral

I thought you always used either and a lighter to seat a bead.... You guys actually use air?!?!?

Bill

You only need ether and a lighter for over sized tires that don't apply any pressure the beads when first installed. Even with those, a ratchet strap will usually get you enough pressure to use air. Any normal tire, trailer or car will seat itself by just applying air.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

had trouble getting a tire to pop the bead the other day, my shop forman (the guy with 40 years experience) comes over and used shop air(100psi) and got them to seat(I stood back and watched) btw that tire said not to exceed 40 psi. I let air out for over a minute and there was still 50psi in there, usually I have to add air after putting the core back in the valve, not that time:rolleyes:

oldjeep

Admiral

had trouble getting a tire to pop the bead the other day, my shop forman (the guy with 40 years experience) comes over and used shop air(100psi) and got them to seat(I stood back and watched) btw that tire said not to exceed 40 psi. I let air out for over a minute and there was still 50psi in there, usually I have to add air after putting the core back in the valve, not that time:rolleyes:

Yeesh - I wouldn't try that trick without a cage.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

They use these at my local tire shop:

3af4b116e51b487cbd5a695f96e382f8.jpg

Thalasso

Commander

Bill

:lol: Your telling your age. That's the way we used to do it. Younger people most likely don't even know that way

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

:lol: Your telling your age. That's the way we used to do it. Younger people most likely don't even know that way

You callin me old? used propane n oxygen back in the day when we ran out of ether.... makes a hell of a bang in a 42" tire when ya get a little too much.... Have since shied away from 'explosive tire mounting' and prefer the ratchet strap method now... gotta watch it tho... that one can call curtains for ya too.... heard a story bout a guy who took a broken hook to the neck and was nearly killed.

New technology so to speak. The cage mentioned above was for split rims so you didn't have to chain them

The cage is also used for any truck (100+ psi) tire that has been run at low pressure..... some techs will put all high pressure tires in them

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tire soap works too.

Not nearly as fun as ether though.... :)

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Competition rally tires have really tough sidewalls and beads that won't come off even if the tire goes flat. If you want scary you try to seat those after mounting on a beat up aluminum wheel. 100psi and hitting the sidewall with a mallet would usually do the trick. Then just let it go slow and hit it again. A few times we had to use 120. Then you merrily drop them to 35 or so and go back to breathing.
Sometimes you'd let them sit waiting for the bead to pop and 10 minutes later you'd hear a canon shot at the back of the shop. That let you know the bead was on well. :eek:

That's kind of funny smokeingcrater. To much worry about risks that they tell you you'll die if you put in the rated air capacity. I wonder if it actually reduces their liability.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That's kind of funny smokeingcrater. To much worry about risks that they tell you you'll die if you put in the rated air capacity. I wonder if it actually reduces their liability.
You need to read posts #3 and #4.