Prop placement question

Skidz

Seaman
I put this in the Johnson forum by mistake, thought maybe I should put it here instead....

Recently, I switched from a 3 blade 10x13 prop to a 4 blade 10x11. The reason was to get a better holeshot and bring the rpm's up closer to 5500. The 4 blade prop is a Solas 2213-102-11.

My question is, how close can the prop be to the skeg without it hitting it while running. The old 3 blade had at least an inch between blades and the skeg; the new 4 blade has maybe 1/4 inch. I was surprised at this; it seems the blades were made to the housing much farther forward. Is 1/4 enough? Or do I need to file some material off the skeg to gain more clearance. Would the 4 blade flex that much during hard acceleration?

I haven't had a chance to take the boat out lately, been painting it. But I would like some input on this before I do take it out. The outboard is a 2000 Johnson 25.

Thanks!
Skidz

Brewman61

Ensign
Re: Prop placement question

Any way to contact the manufacturer? They should know.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You are speaking of the skeg not the anode?. I would think you could and a thrust washer or a thicker thrust washer.You probably only need another 1/4".
Won't hurt to file a little off the skeg.

Skidz

Seaman

Brewman, I probably will give Solas a call today.

Steelesspike, yes it's the skeg I'm speaking of. The anode on this engine is right above the AV plate. I might wind up filing some off the skeg if the manufacturer doesn't have any ideas.

Thanks,
Skidz