transom saver/engine support ....to use or not to use

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class
on my heavy beast of a 90 hp evinrude o/b should i use the transom saver/engine support or is the transport latch built onto the motor sufficient? i have heard that one is better than the other and either is fine as long as i have SOMETHING supporting the engine besides the tilt motor itself.. i can see in my mind why the transom saver support that runs from rear of trailer up to lower unit could work but my engineering skills arent the sharpest.. any feedback is appreciated.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: transom saver/engine support ....to use or not to use

The tilt lock isn't designed to handle the weight of the motor bouncing down the road. The transom saver does just that, it transfers that weight off of the transom and onto the trailer.

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have seen many mixed reviews about these products and was wondering to use or not to use that IS the question at the moment i suppose its better to have and not need than need and not have...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would absolutely use it and I do on my V-4

I am moving this thread and this subject has been covered MANY times scroll down for more threads

NYBo

Admiral

My motor has a separate trailering bracket that's quite sturdy. It is specific to the motor, not a generic item.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

My Evinrude also has a separate tilt lock but the motor still swung back and forth easily while driving. I use a transom saver now and it works great, motor stays in place perfectly.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

On this forum they are not "transom savers" -- they are "motor deflopperizers".

GaryAK

Seaman

on my heavy beast of a 90 hp evinrude o/b should i use the transom saver/engine support or is the transport latch built onto the motor sufficient? i have heard that one is better than the other and either is fine as long as i have SOMETHING supporting the engine besides the tilt motor itself.. i can see in my mind why the transom saver support that runs from rear of trailer up to lower unit could work but my engineering skills arent the sharpest.. any feedback is appreciated.

You might investigate "lock-n-haul". I have one and was amazed at how stable it made my outboard on the transom without linking it to the trailer. It did not so much as twitch in a 100 mile trip. I'm a rookie and launched my project boat yesterday. The marina owner saw me removing it from the engine and came over to take a look. He was all wound up about it. I don't know jack....but he's been at it for 50 years. It may or may not be of use to you...just trying to help.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

on my heavy beast of a 90 hp evinrude o/b should i use the transom saver/engine support .

back in '04 when we purchased our boat with its 90 hp Johnson I asked about using a transom saver type brace .... the dealer told me that our motor had a very strong locking system and specifically recommended against using a transom saver.... consequently, we've never used one

Jim

lrak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could you describe or post a picture of this "transport latch"? The Evinrude Etec 90 has a purpose built trailering support that IMO is far better than a transom saver. Is this what you are talking about?

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Could you describe or post a picture of this "transport latch"? The Evinrude Etec 90 has a purpose built trailering support that IMO is far better than a transom saver. Is this what you are talking about?

I'd be happy to but can't post a picture until after Labor Day when our son returns in our boat .... I just checked the Service Manual that I purchased when we bought the boat/motor .... on page 304 is the following quote:

"Use the trailering bracket to support the outboard when trailering in the tilted position. This bracket protects the hydraulisystemte from damage.

Tilt the outboard up fully, engage the bracket, then tilt the outboard down until the bracket is firmly in position."

Jim

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would it be this bracket ? Certainly seems sturdy enough, and I used it last trip since my motor deflopperizer went for a swim in deeper water than i wanted to try and find it. Obviously the transom then bears all wieght but, when on the water and pushing the boat around that transom bears it all so......big deal or not? who knows

2012-08-19 22.01.38.jpg

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would it be this bracket ? Certainly seems sturdy enough, and I used it last trip since my motor deflopperizer went for a swim in deeper water than i wanted to try and find it. Obviously the transom then bears all wieght but, when on the water and pushing the boat around that transom bears it all so......big deal or not? who knows

View attachment 165385
well mine doesnt look like that its higher up on the engine and not quite as big and bulky. but how did your deflopperizer go swimming? i understand they brace from engine to trailer? did you leave it on then launch boat lift motor and wala it swam away?

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

no it was a dumber move than that even

i set it on the back of the boat partially hanging over, you know so i would notice it and toss it in the truck after i put the plug in. i remembered about it just as i was punching the boat up on plane, turned looked back just in time to see it slide overboard.

i blame my 6yr old interupting my process with a question.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I used one on my V4 outboard on the bow rider, and dont need one on my pontoon

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I used one on my V4 outboard on the bow rider, and dont need one on my pontoon

Keep a close eye on your motor pod, James. Mine cracked last year, and the welder wasn't positive but said there was a good chance it was the result of towing without a transom saver. I decided to go ahead and start using one.

Kris.J

Seaman

back in '04 when we purchased our boat with its 90 hp Johnson I asked about using a transom saver type brace .... the dealer told me that our motor had a very strong locking system and specifically recommended against using a transom saver.... consequently, we've never used one

Jim

That seems like a bad answer to me... The motor's tilt lock is part of the outboard mount, which is in turn mounted to the boat's transom.

Locked or unlocked, the motor still has 100% of it's weight hanging off the boat's transom driving down roads that have a ton more bumps and what not than when you're on the water.

Transom Saver = Transom Weight Reliever.

In my mind a motor's tilt lock does nothing to relieve the weight on a boat's transom. Saying that the outboard's locking system replaces the function of a transom saver is like handing me an apple when I'm dying for an orange.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

That seems like a bad answer to me... The motor's tilt lock is part of the outboard mount, which is in turn mounted to the boat's transom.

Locked or unlocked, the motor still has 100% of it's weight hanging off the boat's transom driving down roads that have a ton more bumps and what not than when you're on the water.

Transom Saver = Transom Weight Reliever.

In my mind a motor's tilt lock does nothing to relieve the weight on a boat's transom. Saying that the outboard's locking system replaces the function of a transom saver is like handing me an apple when I'm dying for an orange.

Agreed. A couple of months ago I followed a brand new bass boat with a 200 hanging off the back and no motor deflopperizer. The transom was flexing enough with the bumps that the admiral noticed and mentioned it with no prompting from me.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

By using a transon saver,could you also say,every bump you hit will put a jolt to your lower unit?
I mean I know there tuff but so are good transoms and proper trailers.
I think myth busters or some independent engineer should do a study on this.
Just everyday use of a outboard puts alot of stress on a transom,is trailering it with a proper trailer that much more stress?
I have read some boat builders take it as a slap in the face if you suggest a transom saver...