Trailer tongue too long???

sspencercj

Cadet
How do I know if my trailer tongue (from boat winch to trailer hitch) is too long? I just bought a 14' jon boat w/25hp motor. No other weight in boat when I towed it from previous owner. Noticed that the bow of the boat jumped up and down over very minor bumps. I also could hear the trailer hitch pulling back and forth on the tow ball. When I got home, I looked at the tongue and it seemed quite a bit longer than my previous boat trailer was. Could this distribution of the boat further back from my truck cause this issue? Everything else was tight, and the correct ball was used on the hitch.

BonairII

Commander
Re: Trailer tongue too long???

Could this distribution of the boat further back from my truck cause this issue?

Yes.

You need more tongue weight. Maybe put weight in bow of boat and/or move trailer axle farther back.

sspencercj

Cadet

Putting more weight in the bow may not always be possible. So my options are to move the axle back...or maybe shorten the tongue? Which is easier for a moderately handy person? I would think moving the axle would take quite a bit of work, right? And what are the pros/cons of shortening the tongue?

BonairII

Commander

Putting more weight in the bow may not always be possible.

A couple sandbags would do the trick.

I would move the axle back instead of shortening the tongue. Longer tongue will come in handy when launching.

lrak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are the spring/torsion axle mounts bolted on or welded on? If bolted on, moving the wheels back is FAR easier. If welded on, shortening the tongue is slightly easier.

bucket of rivets

Seaman Apprentice

The way I see it, the long the tongue the better, the trailer will be easier to back up and you won't get your truck wet when launching the boat.
Take a close look at how your trailer suspension attaches. Many trailers have easily movable axles, its usually only a matter of removing a few bolts through the side of the frame or loosening a few U bolts. If the spring hangers are welded right to the frame, then moving the axle may not be an option. Most however are adjustable. You may well be able to simply adjust your bunks or rollers forward and move the entire boat forward a bit. It probably won't take much.
On my 14' aluminum boat, I have about 42" of excess tongue showing, the boat is about balanced with all my gear in it and the axle pretty far back. My trailer overall is a bit heavier than most though, being made from heavy gauge C channel, its about double what I need, although my springs are about right for the boat's weight.

Post a few pics of your set up.

sspencercj

Cadet

The back of the boat is hanging off the bunk about 6". The end of the bunk hangs off the back of the trailer about 8". I guess I could move the boat up even with the ends of the bunks. If that doesn't work, maybe I can move the bunks up. there is plenty of room to move the winch up. My springs are welded in place (well, the brackets are) so moving the axle doesnt seem likely.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

if the back of your boat is hanging off the bunks, move the winch post forward and pull the boat forward on the trailer. as Bonairll stated, post a pic.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The back of the boat is hanging off the bunk about 6". The end of the bunk hangs off the back of the trailer about 8". I guess I could move the boat up even with the ends of the bunks. If that doesn't work, maybe I can move the bunks up. there is plenty of room to move the winch up. My springs are welded in place (well, the brackets are) so moving the axle doesnt seem likely.
This is what you need to do but first get the boat and trailer weighed. You will want to have about 10% of the total weight on the tongue when you re-position the boat on the trailer.

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The bow of my ski boat bounced really bad like that too when i didn't have the cover on it which attaches to trailer. I just took a rope from the front cleat down around the trailer and back up, it seemed to fix my problem and easier than lugging sandbags around!