2009 Subaru Forester towing

larry campbell

Recruit
Hi,
I am thinking of getting a Subaru Forester as my next vehicle (likely the XT with the Turbo 4 rated at 230 hp). I know it's not the best to have a daily driver as a tow vehicle, but that's what I have to deal with as I have limited space. Stated as 2400 lb capacity. My 17' center console loaded with fuel is 2300 with trailer and motor.

Now, the caveat is the launch is down the street. Like a quarter mile. No hills, fairly shallow ramp. No main roads, probably wouldn't break 10 mph on the way over. Thoughts?

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2009 Subaru Forester towing

As long as you don?t have the weight wrong, I think you will be ok. Down the street under 10 mph doesn?t sound very dangerous to me.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

I towed a Mako 17 C.C. with 120 Hp Johnson from South Fla. to N.E.Ohio with a 1997 Subaru legend/Outback.
It was smooth all the way, no issues at all.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No. Amatuers should stay below 70% of tow rating, not right at it with a guess.

Daughter #1 has a '06 Forester. Great vehicle, but not a workhorse.

Daughter #2 has a '05 Outback 3.0. Great vehicle that might be rated high enough to do the job safely.

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

my fiancee has an 09 forester and we tow my 15ft boat with it without problems. with everything including an extra 29 series battery, trolling motor, 12 gallons of gas, fishing gear, coolers, anchors, and all the essential stuff. she has the 2.5 4 cylinder. I have an 08 legacy which is rated at 2700 lbs and I have towed roughly 2600 before it works the car but it does it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Tales of experience taking risks and pushing luck are interesting, but do a disservice to members asking for advice.

1. Never guess at the weight of the tow.
2. Never guess at the tow rating of the vehicle.
3. Never exceed the tow rating, and unless you are a professionaly trained driver of tow vehicles don't even get close. 70% is a good guideline.

Subarus are excellent vehicles, but even Subies don't take abuse well. Also, you only get one chance to kill yourself.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

That leaves another question.How does all wheel drive react to towing and what if anything does it do the awd computer system?

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

I have an older subaru forester (2003). It towed my 14 foot runabout (about 1000 lbs, trailer, boat, motor, gear, fuel, and battery). Be sure you read the manual. I believe the forester gave a tow rating of 2400 or 2500 lbs with a rig with brakes. A trailer without brakes, the tow rating decreased to 1000 lbs.

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That leaves another question.How does all wheel drive react to towing and what if anything does it do the awd computer system?

AWD doesn't do a damn thing when you're sliding into the *** of the car infront of you. As far as going, it does help pulling out of the ramp, or getting the car/trailer going. But AWD doesn't do anything for braking at all.

I have a 2003 Subaru Legacy 2.5L AWD automatic. It's a great vehicle but it's not a truck or SUV. I regularly tow my 16' Lund WC, 15hp Suzuki, and trailer with ease. My set up weighs in at roughly 900-950lbs with all the gear. However, I wouldn't tow anything more than that with that car. Even with trailer brakes that kind of big weight is a huge stress on the transmission and differentials.

For a set up in the 1000+ category trailer brakes are not an option...They are a necessity! The Forester is a nice vehicle but I sure wouldn't put that kind of strain on it.

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

No. Amatuers should stay below 70% of tow rating, not right at it with a guess.

Daughter #1 has a '06 Forester. Great vehicle, but not a workhorse.

Daughter #2 has a '05 Outback 3.0. Great vehicle that might be rated high enough to do the job safely.

The only difference between the 2.5 liter subaru and the 3.0 subaru is the engine. Breaks are exactly the same size. The weight is within 200 lbs. So the difference in the outback model isn't much between the standard 2.5 and the 3.0.

Tales of experience taking risks and pushing luck are interesting, but do a disservice to members asking for advice.

1. Never guess at the weight of the tow.
2. Never guess at the tow rating of the vehicle.
3. Never exceed the tow rating, and unless you are a professionaly trained driver of tow vehicles don't even get close. 70% is a good guideline.

Subarus are excellent vehicles, but even Subies don't take abuse well. Also, you only get one chance to kill yourself.

I know many people that have and do tow with subarus. Many of which are people that have had these subarus 5 plus years with 100,000 plus miles. I'm not saying it is the best tow vehicle but if you know excatly what your weight is and keep it below 2000lbs and you know how to tow and keep proper distances you shouldn't have problems. I have done it for about 3000 miles with the legacy. When I tow I slow down and I increase the following distance by about 4-5 times what I usually use. The only thing I don't get is that the forester is a bigger heavier vehicle but it has a lower tow rating than the legacy.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

**deleted**

Last edited:

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The only thing I don't get is that the forester is a bigger heavier vehicle but it has a lower tow rating than the legacy.

If I remember correctly, when I was looking at my Legacy the dealer told me the Foresters were based on the Impreza chassis. This would makes sense that the Forrester would have a little lower tow rating than the Legacy.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have 2004 Forester but the new ones, (2008 I believe) have a new body style. Has it been redesigned from the ground up or is it just new sheet metal? It's larger isn't it?