Hydraulic Steering Systems

DesertHunter

Cadet
I recently purchased a 2003, 22' Sun Tracker Regency Tritoon with a Mercury 150 XR6 Outboard. While this is the first boat of this size and type I have owned, the steering seems to be really stiff. It is very difficult to turn at 30 MPH. I have put in the shop to have it checked but am considering a Seastar hydraulic steering system. Since I am such a novice at this boat thing, I am looking for some thoughts on the pros and cons of such a purchase. Currently it has cable steering installed.

Thanks

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hydraulic Steering Systems

Power steering makes all the difference in the world. Remember what it was like to try and parallel park a car with out power steering? Basically the same thing with a boat. You will truly appreciate it when you have to dock the boat. That being said power or hydraulic steering isn't cheap. Have you tried cleaning and or using some WD-40 on the end of the steering cable where it attaches to the engine to see if maybe it is just gooked up and needs a little lubricant?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Hydraulic steering is the cats meow. Expensive compared to cable sure but if you got the money I promise you'll love it. Even though you can get cable with no feed back it still steers harder in the direction of the engine torque. You will not have that with hydraulic. Well, you migyt have it but you can't feel it.

The Rooster

Ensign

Hydraulic steering is the cats meow. Expensive compared to cable sure but if you got the money I promise you'll love it. Even though you can get cable with no feed back it still steers harder in the direction of the engine torque. You will not have that with hydraulic. Well, you migyt have it but you can't feel it.

+1 ^^^. It's hard to beat a Seastar system. That's what we've got. Good luck !!!

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

We never sell an outboard north of 115HP without hydraulic steering. Best $1000 you'll ever spend on your boat.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I didn't think you could use a boat with that big of a motor w/o it. Must be a real pain.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The SeaStar steering is the only way to go if you've got over 115 hp. Installed, it should be in the $2K range. You can add the SeaStar power steering pump for about another $2K, but that's quite an investment. Any boat over 150 hp must go with the power steering.

I have a new Bennington with a F150 Yamaha and SeaStar hydraulic steering. It steers very easy at normal speeds. If you get over 32 mph and try a tight turn, it'll take two hands to make the turn. It'd be nice to have power steering, but not at those prices. Realistically, I don't drive my boat often where the power steering pump is really required.

DesertHunter

Cadet

Thank you for your thoughts. Sounds like I am going to drop about 2300 with what I am having done. The steering is 1800 installed and since I have not base line for maintenance I asked them to do a annual checkup and once over on the whole thing. I could probably get the steering for less if I went with the Baystar or the Seastar (not pro) but according to Teleflex I need the Pro. See below for E-mail response.

Dave:
To start, the BayStar is only rated for transoms up to 150HP, so you are out of the range there.

I only recommend the SeaStar PRO on this boat. Because of hull design, the PRO steering will give you more response when turning to reduce any chine walking that you may encounter at the higher speeds

Thanks
Marc

Marc D. Adams
Technical Support
Teleflex Canada
3831 No. 6 Road
Richmond, BC, V6V 1P6
Phone: 604-248-3858
Fax: 604-279-2202
Email: marc.adams@tflexinc.com
Web: Teleflex Marine || a global supplier of marine equipment for sports and leisure boats.

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal.

Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:56 PM
To: Info TFXCAN
Subject: Baystar, Seastar or Seastar Pro

I am sure you are tired of this question but even after reading several articles and watching a few videos I am still confused. I have a 22’ Tritoon with a Mercury 150 XR6. I understand that Seastar Pro is for 150 HP and up and for higher speeds than I will ever get with this boat. What I don’t understand is the difference between the Baystar system and the regular Seastrar system. The boat its self is rated up to a 250 HP and reading your article leads me to believe I should go with the Pro system. So…

What is the difference between the Baystar and the Seastar regular systems?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Dave