Wesbar "Stowaway" ladder: looking for installation manual

ReedMikel

Seaman Apprentice
We got a Wesbar Stowaway 4 step ladder when we bought out pontoon boat. Was wondering if anybodyknew where I could get installation instructions for it? Apparently Wesbar is out of business (their number was out of service).

TIA,
-Mike

ReedMikel

Seaman Apprentice
I've got the 2 brackets that provide a quick release mount to the deck. But don't know how I'm gonna reach under deck and hold nuts/washers in place while I fasten bolts from above? The pontoon is right in the way of things... I don't want to use wood screws, as I doubt that would be safe long term. I imagine original ladder came with some sort of rigid bracket to go under the deck, but I don't have it. Was just planning on using 1/4" ss bolts,large washers, and nuts. Any ideas?

alldodge

Staff member
I installed a 3-step one on my cruiser, and there is no installation manual. I think the reason for no install manual is because every boat is different. My ladder is on top and yours sound like you want to put it under the deck.

Have any pics of the toon and brackets?

ReedMikel

Seaman Apprentice
Hi AllDodge - thanks so much for the quick reply!

I tried uploading a 8MB .jpg picture, but I get "Unknown" error from this website. Maybe there is a size limit?

Anyway, I want to mount it to the side of my pontoon boat, where a gate is - at about the midpoint of boat. So ladder mounting brackets (slotted/keyed quick release) would bolt to top of deck at edge of deck, centered in doorway opening. It's gonna be some trick trying to get my hands under the edge of the deck to slip washers and nuts onto the bolts coming from on top of deck. I could opt to use ss wood screws and not have to bother with nuts, but I want a really strong installation. I think wood screws would loosen up over time. I'm also trying to figure out what the telescoping part with the 2 rubber wheels is for? I'm guessing it's used to adjust the angle of the steps. Looks like it could be positioned to rest against the side of the pontoon. But what keeps it from slipping?

ahicks

Captain
If I'm with you on the issue, you can put the screw/bolt down through the deck, then crawl underneath with the nut, washers, and a big pair of vise grips. Start the nut, put the vise grips on the nut, and hopefully they'll hit something as you go back up on top to tighten the screw/bolt. Repeat as necessary.

ReedMikel

Seaman Apprentice
Unfortunately the top of the metal pontoon is just inches below the deck, which makes it nearly impossible to get your hands underneath, let alone holding a tool or the nut. Boat is in the water, so if I do need to go under boat I use a inflatable raft. But again, the pontoon is in the way...

ahicks

Captain
No shallow sandy areas where you can beach it and just crawl around underneath?

ReedMikel

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

I finally was able to attach the mounting brackets to the deck: one bracket I aligned so it rested over one of the metal studs, so used ss sheet metal screws. Other bracket I went under boat with a raft and, using a weird tool I made to hold the nuts, was able to secure. Perseverance pays off :) Now all I have to figure out is how you keep the ladder so that it has a comfortable angle of ascent. There's an extendable section with 2 rubber rollers on it that I assume can rest against side of pontoon. Not sure how you keep it from sliding up or down the pontoon though. I'm attaching a picture - maybe someone has an idea? TIA - Mike

Attachments

• photo247724.jpg
    photo247724.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Different ladder mine telescopes

Remove the rollers and install flat pads with rubber on them, something like feet on the bottom of an extension ladder

ReedMikel

Seaman Apprentice
Found a solution: if I telescope the extension the right distance, it can securely rest on the upper lip of the pontoon, and keeps the ladder at a good angle. I had to drill a new set of holes to get it to telescope to just the right distance. Doesn't seem like the sturdiest of ladders, but it will do. Neat how it folds up to a small cube. Thanks for all the suggestions!