I broke it

the454assassian

Seaman Apprentice
my pontoon(24ft) had a motor up grade to a johnson 150 fast strike before I purchased it. Me and my cousin reinforced it to handle the extra weight. It did great last season and good until last weekend. When I was getting ready to put it in the water I noticed the transom looked like it was bending in near the welds. I put it in the water and cruised across the lake with no problems. I met up with some family and friends and took a few out for a ride. As soon as I got out of the no wake zone I bumped the throttle up and it felt like I hit land. The transom gave way and broke off at the welds the motor was hanging my the cables under water.

So this is why I am posting. How should I fix it? Should I buy a whole new transom pod, rebuild the old one and reinforce it to handle the power the motor makes and seal it up gain a little more buoyancy in the back for the extra weight of the larger motor, or use some 55 gallon drums and skin them to make a custom redneck mini toon to lift it out of the water more cause of the extra weight and build a new transom to fit it?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Get the motor cleaned up and running. Then fix the motor pod, and reinforce it. All welded seams should have doubler plates (fish plates).

No 55 gallon drums

jbcurt00

Staff member
The 1995 Landau DX24 is only rated for a 115.

Result is not surprising w overpower and excess weight.

ahicks

Captain
Your first attempt at reinforcing didn't go so well. I'd be tempted to go for a new pod - big enough to handle the engine. .

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the454assassian

Seaman Apprentice
I didn't leave it on the trailer because at the time it didn't look that bad.

I was thinking rebuild the pod and use the same aluminum I used the first time in the corners where it broke. Also run some pieces to tie it into the frame of the boat.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
When I decided to change to a much larger motor on my 20 year old 24' pontoon boat, I strongly suspected the engine pod was inadequate. I had already had some questionable seams rewelded with the original motor. So I started looking for a stouter engine pod. I looked at some new ones but the prices were higher than I could afford. So I stopped at the local ethanol free gas and convenience stores near the very large lake where most of the local boaters hang out. After a few stops, a local guy put me in touch with a guy who gathered and resold all sorts of equipment. He had ten acres out in the middle of nowhere covered with rusting tractors, road equipment, and boats of all kinds. When I arrived he took me to a spot where six old pontoon engine pods were lying. I picked the stoutest looking one and we negotiated a price. I bolted it on to my boat with some of the original support beams and some new ones I added using aluminum angle beams. It has worked fine for two years of full power tubing. ... My point is to encourage you to search in areas where there have been lots of boats for a used engine pod. It might be better, easier and cheaper than working with what you already have.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I didn't leave it on the trailer because at the time it didn't look that bad.

I was thinking rebuild the pod and use the same aluminum I used the first time in the corners where it broke. Also run some pieces to tie it into the frame of the boat.

It was that bad! And rebuilding the pod with already stressed and weakened metal will have a similar result. Find a better pod or next time the motor may end up floating on the bottom.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
**** can the boat ,Get something newer. We cruise the Chesapecke bay and some of the boaters are using Honda 250 hp. on 20, 22, and 24 ft pontoon boats.It doesn't have to be a new boat just newer then what you have.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Stress on the corners of that pod has already proven too much for the design. You need to either start from scratch with a newly fabricated pod made out of thicker material and suitably reinforced or find a pod that can be adapted to your boat and that can handle the power. If rated for a 115, you overpowered the boat by 25% -- not exactly a small amount.