Vinal lettering

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Vinal lettering

May not need the heat gun in SC ... it might be hot enough if you have the boat out in the sun :D

Get a plastic scraper (something soft) to get an edge up. Let the vinyl get nice and hot, use the scraper to get an edge up and gently peel it back. You might spray a little rubbing alcohol on the back as you go to help loosen up the adhesive.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

skip the heat gun... it CAN damage the gelcoat if you aren't careful enough

the decal remover wheel is the ONLY way to fly!
I use the 3M stripe off wheel

Use it in a cordless drill in LOW gear.... slow speed and it's almost magic!

NYBo

Admiral

a stripe and decal remover is what I us. It don't harm the finish and it takes the glue off with it Pinstripe Removal Discs Astro 400E Eraser INC Arbor 400E AR Stripe Glue SET | eBay

skip the heat gun... it CAN damage the gelcoat if you aren't careful enough

the decal remover wheel is the ONLY way to fly!
I use the 3M stripe off wheel

Use it in a cordless drill in LOW gear.... slow speed and it's almost magic!

^
These.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like my wife's hairdryer on low (free to use) and a plastic scraper as mentioned. Goo off also works fine and won't harm the gelcoat.

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Vinyl lettering

Re: Vinyl lettering

I like my wife's hairdryer on low (free to use) and a plastic scraper as mentioned. Goo off also works fine and won't harm the gel coat.

+1

Heat gun means just warm it up. If is too hot to touch, it is way too hot.
Once you get up a corner, keep pulling slowly and it will come off in one piece.
It might take 5 seconds to pull back an inch.
I you get in a hurry you will keep breaking it.
Yes! it is going to take a while!

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member

Let me clarify: when I said-
May not need the heat gun in SC ... it might be hot enough if you have the boat out in the sun.
My "smiley" might have betrayed me. I was actually serious. Parking my boat in the driveway for about 2 hours gets any vinyl (have removed letters and some striping) plenty hot enough to remove.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

+1 on the 3m wheel... Something about the right tool for the right job, the single purpose for that wheel is to remove decals. It removes the decal and any adhesive, just a quick wipe with some rubbing alcohol when you are done and there will be zero signs it was ever there. (assuming the gelcoat hasn't oxidized or faded, in which case you have other issues.)

rileyfam5

Seaman Apprentice

Hey thanks yall. I will try and see what i can do tomarow. Its suposed to be in the mid 90's. Ill put the boat in the sun in the morn. Thanks.