Adding a barrel switch

scottybm1

Seaman Apprentice
Like the post says, I'm adding a battery barrel switch to my 1980 Jetster with a Mariner 115. All it has to kill the power is the ignition key. I have the switch itself and a piece of battery cable with lugs on either end so I'm ready to install. My question is, do I put the switch on the positive or negative side? Also, can I still run the memory wire for the stereo to the battery and not create some sort of loop where everything just feeds through the stereo and draws energy through that one wire?
Thanks in advance,
Scotty

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Adding a barrel switch

The switch goes on the positive side. The memory wire can be wired directly to the positive post of the battery.

Most people also connect the positive lead of the bilge pump float switch to the battery so it can continue to operate if the boat takes on water.

scottybm1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Rick, that's what I figured but wanted to make sure before I did the deed. No bilge pump to worry about, the boat never stays in the water for any length of time.
Best regards,
Scotty

foodfisher

Captain

When you join the "forgot the plug club",:eek: a bilge pump will be on your to do list.:)

foodfisher

Captain

:rolleyes:Maybe some lawn chairs, a stocked cooler, and a video camera, at the public launch for a couple hours will persuade you. Better yet, have a friend help you with launch prep.

scottybm1

Seaman Apprentice

I'm in the Coast Guard and drive small boats daily so I spend a lot of time at a launch. I was being facetious about it not happening to me, I've forgotten them more than my fair share of times with my work boats, good thing they're Boston Whalers huh? I make a round every time I splash but I'm sure my day will come.

Got the switch wired up today, mounted it on a 3/4" piece of Delrin that was a cutting board. Positive to the switch, heavy cable with crimped and soldered connectors on each end. Sprayed with corrosion inhibitor. Then I wired the stereo separately with heavy gauge wire and fuses directly to the battery. Next I'm going to mount a battery tender so I can float the battery in the off time. I use the boat 2-3 times a week right now so everything will be OK but this winter it'll be tucked away in the garage while I'm away on a "vacation" provided by Uncle Sam.
Thanks for all the advice,
Scotty