Tank full of winter fuel?

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I just started the old outboard today on the muffs to run the storage oil out of it and then shut it down when it quit smoking. Then I got to thinking that the oil gas mix that is in that full tank has probably separated over the winter months. Now I got to wondering how other boaters remix the fuel after it has been sitting for a few months? I am starting to see why some people argue that it is better to store the fuel tanks empty and start the new season with fresh fuel. How do you remix the fuel after it has been stored? Thanks!!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tank full of winter fuel?

Go boating.....Oil and gas don't separate. It's part of the tcw oil certification testing

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

I shook the old fuel tank up many years ago because I thought that they did separate. How about when you add fuel to a half full tank? Do you just pour the oil in first and then fill with gas or do you have to add oil-- shake and then add gas? I think from now on I will store the fuel tanks empty and just refill them in the spring, that way I would have fresh fuel every year anyway.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Put the oil in first. When you top it off with gas, the pressure from the gas pump will mix it...... Shake it afterwards if you feel the need to...... But you shouldn't have to........

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like it would save a lot of trouble if the fuel tank were just stored empty. If there were any condensation in the plastic tank it could just be poured out before filling with fresh fuel in the spring. This would save having to add stabile in the fall too.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

The fuel in this case was being saved to use over the winter for a snowblower. Where the water came from is still a mystery. A Pint or water to a 1/2 gal of fuel is a bit much. I would not risk mixing contaminates fuel.

Afterwards I noticed all fuel lines were leaking fuel. From the fuel pump to each or the carb fittings. Now it's time to replace all lines.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

Just read the story about the boat launch in the mud. Sorry to hear about the back pain. The docs. just put me on nitro pills so I can get around without pain in the chest and arm. That angina really slowed me down and caused me to get behind on everything around here. Just getting back to normal. Good luck with the back. If you had stored the fuel tank empty you could have poured the water out before filling the tank and you would have been in good shape.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Never had a propblem with stores fuel. Usually was used up pretty quickly.

The Angina pain is nothing to fool with either! I've had 7 catherizations and 10 stents so far and I just turned 60! Usually just a one night stay. Sure beats a heart attach!!!!

All started with sweaty palms and hotdog heartburn. Until itn went up the arm and into the neck. Later found I had major blockages in both legs, doc didn't know whicdh to fix 1st. 10 years later leads to a torn back.

Maybe I should go back to golf~~~

I've run 2 and 3 year old gas through old outboards. They eat it up. When I fill a tank with 2-stroke oil, I just add the oil and then let it mix when the gas is poured in as stated above. It works just fine. I don't like shaking gas tanks and have never seen a need.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I've run 2 and 3 year old gas through old outboards. They eat it up. When I fill a tank with 2-stroke oil, I just add the oil and then let it mix when the gas is poured in as stated above. It works just fine. I don't like shaking gas tanks and have never seen a need.

I'm sure it will mix up just fine while trailering the boat too...

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

What's mixing fuel and oil have to do with water miixed with fuel in a gas tank??

Nathan R

Seaman

Just be sure to goose it and slam on the brakes all the way to the landing!

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

Should mix pretty good on the way to the lake if they haven't fixed that road yet. Plus a few stop signs and railroad crossings. Just waiting for the weather to clear up a little so we can get on the water.

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I add sea foam in the fall, in the spring i hook it up and run the boat.

Gorthax

Recruit
Hey all, just joined today and I hope this is the relevant thread to post this on. I am getting ready to try a new product my buddy swears by, but i figure i would get some others input on the topic. Has anyone ever tried REV-X Adrenaline Marine gas additive? Any input on this stuff would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
Sounds like another great product to lubricate your snake with.

A lot of my buddies on the dieselstop.com forum swear by Rev-X, as an oil additive for their 6.0's, but I have no idea about its gasoline counterpart.