Bilge Pump Humms...No Pump

kevinwburke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Recently bought a used bowrider. The bilge pump will make a humming noise when turned on but does not pump water out. Could it be clogged or should I just replace the cartridge? I removed the cover and didnt see any clogging. Of course I dont know how old it is either so is is safer just to but the replacement pump cartridge?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Bilge Pump Humms...No Pump

replace it. sounds like the impeller shaft is broken, but whatever it is, replace and be safe. If we were all perfect, we'd replace them before they break!

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Could just be something stuck in the impellor too... Many thing blow into boats and amazingly get into the impellor and stop them from moving. Worth a look see anyways...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Don't rule out Dirt Dobbers. Down here anything that looks like a hole gets filled with dirt and an egg. Bilge drain tubes are not exempt. BTDT.

Mark

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

alos, is there enough water to pump out? they don't pick up all the water. Stick it in a bucket to test the pump and the outfall hose

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Don't rule out Dirt Dobbers. Down here anything that looks like a hole gets filled with dirt and an egg. Bilge drain tubes are not exempt. BTDT.

Mark

Texasmark, Odd you mentioned Dirt Dobbers. I was going to state that also but thought some would not know what I was talking about not knowing if dirt dobbers were everywhere in the USA... Those insects nest everywhere and in any little opening it seems...

Ned L

Commander

the pump could just be 'vapor locked'. If the outlet hose has a dip in it that is filled with water, that could be trapping air in the pump. (like a drinking glass upside down in the water.)

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

Most bilge pumps, the cartridge kind you refer to, have built in floats that activate them only when there is enough water to make the pump run. Typically they don't run just because they have power. Check the water level in your bilge, if there is not enough to pump, ask why it's even running?

Recently bought a used bowrider. The bilge pump will make a humming noise when turned on but does not pump water out. Could it be clogged or should I just replace the cartridge? I removed the cover and didnt see any clogging. Of course I dont know how old it is either so is is safer just to but the replacement pump cartridge?

wrench 3

Commander

Don't rule out Dirt Dobbers. Down here anything that looks like a hole gets filled with dirt and an egg. Bilge drain tubes are not exempt.]

I've had a wasp nest plug up the through hull fitting. Luckily, no one was home when I cleaned it out.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

My first job in any used boat purchase is to buy new bilge pumps, double stainless clamps and even new hoses if they look worn or old. It's relatively cheap insurance for such an important part of the boat.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Most bilge pumps, the cartridge kind you refer to, have built in floats that activate them only when there is enough water to make the pump run. Typically they don't run just because they have power. Check the water level in your bilge, if there is not enough to pump, ask why it's even running?

I can't speak to "most" but there are plenty of pumps that don't have the float built in but you still remove the cylindrical pump "cartridge" from the base if you have to service or replace it. I've seen lots of pumps in my day but never encountered a built-in float pump other than in the store or catalogue.

With the wide variety of experience and many interchangeable terms, right or wrong, I wouldn't want anyone to assume they have a float and it's waiting for water, when they have a broken pump instead.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guessing against everybody else that posted - I'm guessing the pump is frozen and the "humming" is "transformer hum" - the electric field trying to turn the motor.
Definitely get the motor out and see if the shaft turns.

UncleWillie

Captain

Before you go throwing money at the problem, identify the problem.

If you saw some water in the bilge and turned on the pump manually, you may not have enough water.
Most pumps require 2-3 inches of water to start pumping. Yes! That IS a lot of water!
If there are and leaves or other foreign objects in the bilge, A clogged pump is a possibility.
Replacing the pump for either of these issues will not solve the problem.

Remove your pump. While it is out, use a hose to blow water through the Hull-Thru to verify it is clean and open.
Clean and inspect the pump. Power it up. If it will not rotate, replace it, otherwise reinstall it and stick a garden hose in the bilge and add enough water to at least half submerge the pump. The Float Switch should activate the pump by the time you get 3 inches in there.
There will be about an inch of water remaining when the pump stops pumping.
It will not pump the bilge dry! Not even close!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Texasmark, Odd you mentioned Dirt Dobbers. I was going to state that also but thought some would not know what I was talking about not knowing if dirt dobbers were everywhere in the USA... Those insects nest everywhere and in any little opening it seems...

Side note on the thread, no hijacking, but they are a real PIA and nothing but destructive.

Mark

airshot

Rear Admiral

Well I guess I will add my .02 worth.......why take a chance on an old bilge pump? They are not expensive, I would just replace the whole bilge pump system and be safe, then you know it is good.......

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I guessing against everybody else that posted - I'm guessing the pump is frozen and the "humming" is "transformer hum" - the electric field trying to turn the motor.
Definitely get the motor out and see if the shaft turns.

DC motors don't hum when they are stalled.