Interchangable parts?

wwerdell

Cadet
I have an Evinrude 88 SPL on a boat I just rebuilt and I was told I need to replace a couple of parts on the motor. I need to replace the water pump because it is overheating once we get it running. I may also have to replace the starter because the motor doesn't turn over like it should. It sounds like I am not getting enough juice to crank it but I have a new battery (tested) and we replaced the battery cables as well.

I also have a 1967 evinrude 80 HP (model 80793R) motor sitting on a rack in my garage and was wondering if the parts would be interchangable? The older motor was given to me a couple of years ago so I am not sure if they are going to be any better but I would like to give it a try if they are.

I would appreciate any advice or help I can get.

Bill

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Interchangable parts?

Nah, very different motors.

wwerdell

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. The starter and starter solenoid look the same so I didn't know how much was changed over the years.

I was able to verify that my 88 SPL is actually a 1994. I picked up the boat today and hooked it up to the hose. I was able to crank start it and run it for about 30 seconds. Water came out the pee hole while it was running. Would it do this if the water pump was bad or should I start with the Thermostats?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

An impellar is very cheap compared to an overheated motor...... I would change it, change the thermostats and it it was mine..... I would even do the head gaskets and deflectors.

Maintenance on a new to you motor is VERY important and it gives you piece of mind

wwerdell

Cadet

Thanks. I agree about the maintenance and it does appear to be pretty cheap as far as parts go. The problem is I have talked to a couple of guys down here that work on boat engines and they have both indicated that it's difficult to get to the the water pump and impellar on these motors or at least get it back together once you have. I have never worked on a lower unit myself so I have real concerns about taking the job on.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

If it is a salt water motor, then yes it can be a pain to do the water pump.

wwerdell

Cadet

That's part of the problem. Down here in SW Florida the boat has seen both fresh water and salt water.

Would the engine discharge a steady stream of water if the water pump/impellar were bad?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

That's part of the problem. Down here in SW Florida the boat has seen both fresh water and salt water.

Would the engine discharge a steady stream of water if the water pump/impellar were bad?

Probably not. But, unfortunately the tell-tale is not a 100 percent indicator that colling water is actually circulating through the motor. Also, if you are running it on a garden hose adapter, that can leave you with the impression that the water pump is good when it's not due to the garden hose pressure forcing water through the pump.

wwerdell

Cadet

I've been told that a water pump generally only lasts about 5 years. I guess I will have it replaced along with the thermostats and make sure I have all the bases covered.

Thanks for the info.

wwerdell

Cadet

Thanks Chris. I couldn't open the first one but the 2nd two videos make it look pretty simple. It makes me wonder why I have 2 guys that work on motors tell me they weren't sure they would be able to do it. Is the Shifter in a position that makes it hard to remove and reassemble on the 88 SPL's?

wwerdell

Cadet

I just looked at the lower unit and it appears that it does come off with just 5 screws. There is one screw in the screened water intake on the starboard side of the boat but I am not sure if that is to release the shft cable or for something else. The videos indicated that I would have to release the shifter cable by removing a screw below the carbs.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

All outboards are a bit different.

Some are under the carbs, some are like yours.

Having a factory OEM service manual is worth its weight in gold. Check ebay.