Skyline 21 gallon fuel tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

rivereed

Recruit
Here is my fuel tank: Skyline Manufacturing, Manufact. Date: 11-3-00, Model 30021-04, 21 gallon, Material XLPE. It is in a 2001 Jetcraft Kokanee. I am trying to get the fuel gauge to work. I cannot identify the "sender unit" on the tank. There are two wires that go underneath the deck but I don't want to tear it apart to see what/where those wires are. Does anyone have a picture or diagram of this model?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Skyline 21 gallon fuel tank

Here is my fuel tank: Skyline Manufacturing, Manufact. Date: 11-3-00, Model 30021-04, 21 gallon, Material XLPE. It is in a 2001 Jetcraft Kokanee. I am trying to get the fuel gauge to work. I cannot identify the "sender unit" on the tank. There are two wires that go underneath the deck but I don't want to tear it apart to see what/where those wires are. Does anyone have a picture or diagram of this model?

Ayuh,.... There should be three(3) wires,....

A Green bondin' wire,...
A Black ground wire,....
'n the Pink sender wire,...

The Green bondin' wire goes to the motor block,...(which maybe attached to the tank, elsewhere)

The Black ground wire goes to the Negative(-) side of the battery,...

The Pink sendin' wire goes to the Gauge,...

rivereed

Recruit

Shouldn't one of these ports be the sending unit? The red/black wires coming from the stern somewhere and leading under the deck...I dont want to tear the deck up if I don't have to. 2) Can i just take one of those ports out and put a unit there with a gauge for fuel...a gauge right on the unit?

Attachments

• 04-20-14_1251.jpg
    04-20-14_1251.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 04-20-14_1250.jpg
    04-20-14_1250.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

Shouldn't one of these ports be the sending unit? The red/black wires coming from the stern somewhere and leading under the deck...I dont want to tear the deck up if I don't have to. 2) Can i just take one of those ports out and put a unit there with a gauge for fuel...a gauge right on the unit?

Ayuh,.... A gauge sender hole usually has 6 screws,...

Those are ports, not sender holes,...

rivereed

Recruit

Here is a picture of the fuel tank:
it is a Skyline, manufactured Nov 3, 2000, 21 gallon, model 30023-04, material is XLPE. There are two wires, a black and red, leading under the deck somewhere...they are going under the deck where the battery sits. I am not really wanting to tear up that deck but I will if I have to. Do you by chance know if that is going to lead to the "sending unit?"
Here are some pics, not good but you can see:

The red and black wires there are going under that little deck plate under the battery. The other wires are all going to the battery terminals.

These two ports have no wires to them, They cannot be the sending unit. I removed the one on the right :shrug: there is nothing there. (maybe a little gauge is available to insert here to show fuel levels? do you know of such a thing?)

I took out that little deck there under the battery, but it does not want to come up unless I:

remove the carpeted vertical face to the battery compartment.

​ The red and black wires go under the deck there...those other ports have no wires attached to them. Do you think those wires lead to the sending unit? I can't find this tank diagram online. Seems Skyline is no longer in Utah. If I had a drawing of the tank I could determine just how much of the deck I have to take up. Any ideas? to find the drawings?
If I knew where the sending unit was, I could save a lot of work taking up unnecessary deck. If it is far forward from this face, this carpeted vertical face enclosing the battery compartment, I'd only have to remove the chairs, maybe that little deck box up forward and the biggest length of deck plate up the center. This carpeted face running vertical is on very tight. Its a very tight fit across there and I am hesitant to remove it. Any ideas where it could be?
Also, trying to sort out the wires under the dash from the fuel gauge will entail a lot of snipping of wire ties. I am not sure I want to go that route yet either.
Thanks,
Cleo

Attachments

• IM002112.jpg
    IM002112.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IM002113.jpg
    IM002113.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IM002114.jpg
    IM002114.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IM002115.jpg
    IM002115.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IM002116.jpg
    IM002116.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 3

UncleWillie

Captain

The two wires heading forward are the prime suspects at this point.

A small mirror and a flashlight should allow you to get a peek under the floor to see what/where the wire lead to.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, It does not look like it has a remote fuel level sender. In that case, you should monitor your fuel manually, and carry some spare fuel. I would think a spare 6 gal fuel tank would be about right.

rivereed

Recruit

Too tight of a space to get even a dental mirror. I took up the longest part of the deck, after removing chairs and small storage box, that is forward of the vertical, carpeted face. Those two wires are not up there. So I see there is no other way than to remove it back there. I will do it on my next day off and after I do it, I will cut that deck to make it more accessible for next time.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

If your referring to the black and red wire, they are being fed directly off the battery, they appear to drop below the deck plate heading aft where they seem to enter your cable run. From there they could possibly run forward in that run and powering something such as running lights, instrument lights etc., depending on what all you have installed on the boat. I don't think they have anything to do with your fuel system. At least from what these photo's show. I see what looks like it should be the sending unit, the right hand fitting with no hose on it, but don't see any wires coming off it. Also, your sending unit wires would likely be a smaller gauge than what the red and black wires appear to be.

Too tight of a space to get even a dental mirror. I took up the longest part of the deck, after removing chairs and small storage box, that is forward of the vertical, carpeted face. Those two wires are not up there. So I see there is no other way than to remove it back there. I will do it on my next day off and after I do it, I will cut that deck to make it more accessible for next time.

Gofish007

Recruit
the fuel tank on a Kokanee special 2001 is big! I would say 35 gal is correct. The fuel sender is located in about the middle of the boat. You have to take up the big middle portion of the floor to get to it, so you have to take out the seats.I know this is an old thread, but somebody might be searching with the same question. There are two wires , a pink that goes to the gauge and a black ground. It shouldn’t be covered by foam. I will try and post a pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.