New starter and it still won't crank! Please help.

joyjoy366

Recruit
Hey everyone. New here and I'm so glad I found this place. Thanks in advance for your replies.
We have a Suzuki outboard. Not sure of the HP or anything else, but my husband took it to a guy with a small shop to repair it. It wouldn't start. It would try to turn over but that's about it. The guy said it was the starter. Well, 2 months and $900 later, we finally got it back yesterday. Took it to the lake and it started just great! We ran it for about 20 minutes and stopped to have lunch for about 15 minutes. Went to start the boat and it wouldn?t turn over!!! Then the battery cable started smoking. It was very hot! My husband finally got it started by wrapping a rope around the motor thingy and pulling it. Good thing cause we were in the middle of nowhere!
I guess my question is what could possibly be wrong?? My husband seems to think it could be the ignition switch, but I'm not so sure. Could it be the ground was not installed properly? Just doesn't make sense that it started just fine at first. We were planning on taking it to the coast for our only vacation in 3 years this weekend?.but now it doesn?t look so good. I sure don?t want to be in the ocean and get stuck! Thanks so much for reading!!

Joy

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: New starter and it still won't crank! Please help.

a Battery cable that heats up is usually due to either a bad battery cable, connection, or starter that is pulling too much amperage

joyjoy366

Recruit
Re: New starter and it still won't crank! Please help.

Sorry for the late reply. Wanted to let you know it was the neg. battery cable. It was corroded. Thanks so much!!